Shardblades and Supposition

Aradel

I've seen a particular theory floating around that I disagree with. I decided to explain myself, and pose some (hopefully) new questions about shardblades.

I disagree with the "tainted blades" theory, that the shardblades are of Odium or are bad/evil in some way. As far as I can tell, the only solid lead this theory has is a quote by Syl. (Quote will be added when I can look it up)

To my memory, Syl didn't show any signs of disapproval or negetivity about Andolin's blade; and what she said about Dalinar's was to the effect of: "He's better without it."

Possible reasons for Syl's quote:

1: Syl doesn't like Shardblades in general. (Doubt)

2: Syl doesn't like Dalinar's blade in particular.

3: Syl doesn't like having a non-Radiant holding the blade.

4: Syl doesn't like Dalinar holding the blade.

My thoughts.

A: Are the Shardblades Voidish?

The shardblades seem designed for fighting thunderclasts, (and presumably other voidish creatures) a huge non-organic monstrosity. Shardblades cut stone like it was air, and are near-ridiculously oversized yet light. (Szeth's Blade was said to be small for a shardblade, or the size of more normal sword.)

It's a fairly safe bet that Odium is behind all things voidish, why would he create, or help to create weapons to fight his own forces?

B: Is it possible that there are 'false' or 'corrupted' Shardblades?

Unfortunatly, I don't have any evidence come to mind for this question. It's not much different from above, except it allows for both kinds of blades.

C: Have the Shardblades changed in some way after the recreance?

Shardplate, before the recreance glowed, had runic symbols, and was most likely more powerful than the Shardplate of Dalinar's day. It's possible that something similar has taken place with the Shardblades without Radiants to weild them.

What powers are the blades now lacking?

Can the plate and blades 'power up' again if the Radiants return?

D: Did Dalinar's blade belong to someone else, or does a different blade belong to Dalinar?

So far as we can tell, each Shardblade is unique.

Were they created specificly for their bearers (doubtful),

Did they 'adjust' themselves to fit their weilders the way shardplate still does,

or were they customized to their original bearers and handed down?

Were blades divided into orders the same way the Radiants were?

I've seen a particular theory floating around that I disagree with. I decided to explain myself, and pose some (hopefully) new questions about shardblades.

I disagree with the "tainted blades" theory, that the shardblades are of Odium or are bad/evil in some way. As far as I can tell, the only solid lead this theory has is a quote by Syl. (Quote will be added when I can look it up)

To my memory, Syl didn't show any signs of disapproval or negetivity about Andolin's blade; and what she said about Dalinar's was to the effect of: "He's better without it."

Possible reasons for Syl's quote:

1: Syl doesn't like Shardblades in general. (Doubt)

2: Syl doesn't like Dalinar's blade in particular.

3: Syl doesn't like having a non-Radiant holding the blade.

4: Syl doesn't like Dalinar holding the blade.

My thoughts.

A: Are the Shardblades Voidish?

The shardblades seem designed for fighting thunderclasts, (and presumably other voidish creatures) a huge non-organic monstrosity. Shardblades cut stone like it was air, and are near-ridiculously oversized yet light. (Szeth's Blade was said to be small for a shardblade, or the size of more normal sword.)

It's a fairly safe bet that Odium is behind all things voidish, why would he create, or help to create weapons to fight his own forces?

B: Is it possible that there are 'false' or 'corrupted' Shardblades?

Unfortunatly, I don't have any evidence come to mind for this question. It's not much different from above, except it allows for both kinds of blades.

C: Have the Shardblades changed in some way after the recreance?

Shardplate, before the recreance glowed, had runic symbols, and was most likely more powerful than the Shardplate of Dalinar's day. It's possible that something similar has taken place with the Shardblades without Radiants to weild them.

What powers are the blades now lacking?

Can the plate and blades 'power up' again if the Radiants return?

D: Did Dalinar's blade belong to someone else, or does a different blade belong to Dalinar?

So far as we can tell, each Shardblade is unique.

Were they created specificly for their bearers (doubtful),

Did they 'adjust' themselves to fit their weilders the way shardplate still does,

or were they customized to their original bearers and handed down?

Were blades divided into orders the same way the Radiants were?

I think that the Shardblades are "tainted" as a side effect of the Radiants giving them up. That broke the Five Oaths and disHonered the Blades. I wrote theory on that, which i'll revive in a sec.

two things that might help you:

When the KR gave up their Blade and Plate in the Recreance vision, we see that not only the Plates glowed, but also the Blades did. However the glow fainted quickly, once the Blades were abandoned.

When Amaram took the Blade Kaladin had won on the battlefield, there is a gemstone on the hilt of that Blade which flashes briefly, as if to acknowledge the new Bearer.

You'll have to look for the quotes yourself, sorry.

I fall in the "Radiant => Admin powers for shard-items" camp myself. Here's the quote, by the way:

Google Books WoK, Page 981:

[Kaladin] clasped his hands behind him; Syl sat on his shoulder.

"Dare I trust him?" he asked softly.

"He's a good man," Syl said. "I've watched him. Despite that thing he carried."

"That thing?"

"The Shardblade."

"What do you care about it?"

"I don't know," she said, wrapping her arms around herself. "It just feels wrong to me. I hate it. I'm glad he got rid of it. Makes him a better man."

Edited by Kurkistan

I understand how you don't think that the Blades are of Odium, I don't believe that myself. However I don't think that it's worth writing off that the Blades could have been tainted somehow, that's one of the things hatred does after all, it corrupts. I think that the way Syl refers to it as "that thing" means that it's not because Dalinar was using someone else's Blade or anything, but that he was using something evil and dangerous. That word thing has a very negative connotation. I do think that Blades were unique to their Radiants though, they seem somehow personal to me.

They're very different from plate too. In fact, what do the two have in common apart from being termed 'shards' and being used by radiants?

It seems to me that they're intended to be used as a set. Much like historical armor and weaponry, they would appear to have little in common in terms of design elements but are far less effective used separately than in combination.

Here's the critical Syl quote:

“He’s a good man,” Syl said. “I’ve watched him. Despite that thing he carried.”

“That thing?”

“The Shardblade.”

“What do you care about it?”

“I don’t know,” she said, wrapping her arms around herself. “It just feels wrong to me. I hate it. I’m glad he got rid of it. Makes him a better man.”

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that she really doesn't like it.

• Chaos locked this topic