Stormlight Binds To Cognitive Aspects

ScorpioMind

I'm New Here and This Is My First Theory!

So I Was Reading Somewhere That Shards Are A Form of Energy, Basically, That Binds To The Cognitive Aspects of It's Holder. And I was thinking about how Shardplate & Blade are summoned by its wielder's intent. I Believe Blade/Plate Are Investitures pieces of Honor or Odium.

Spren, I Also Believe, Are Stormlight That Has Bound To The Minds Of People. Stormlight is the 'Clay' Of A Spren and The Cognitive Attribute of Every Object Can Shapes it To The Spren that They See. Inanimate Objects Form Spren Visible To Everyone (FlameSpren), Spren Seen By Only A Few Individuals At A Time Are Experienced By Similar Thought(HonorSpren)-Seen By Rock.

Stormlight Also Carries The Mind of Honor/Tanavast. We come into contact

With This During Dalinars' Visions & Kaladin's Sudden Knowlegde of The Second Ideal.

To Make My Ideas More Clear: Stormlight is The Rest Of Honor's Energy Which Seeks To Bind To Any Mind this Is Why Soulcasting works. Remember When Shallan Soulcasts The Goblet It Speaks To Her Mind? Then Takes The Light From Her Sphere.…

Criticize-Refine

I'm New Here and This Is My First Theory!

So I Was Reading Somewhere That Shards Are A Form of Energy, Basically, That Binds To The Cognitive Aspects of It's Holder. And I was thinking about how Shardplate & Blade are summoned by its wielder's intent. I Believe Blade/Plate Are Investitures pieces of Honor or Odium.

Spren, I Also Believe, Are Stormlight That Has Bound To The Minds Of People. Stormlight is the 'Clay' Of A Spren and The Cognitive Attribute of Every Object Can Shapes it To The Spren that They See. Inanimate Objects Form Spren Visible To Everyone (FlameSpren), Spren Seen By Only A Few Individuals At A Time Are Experienced By Similar Thought(HonorSpren)-Seen By Rock.

Stormlight Also Carries The Mind of Honor/Tanavast. We come into contact

With This During Dalinars' Visions & Kaladin's Sudden Knowlegde of The Second Ideal.

To Make My Ideas More Clear: Stormlight is The Rest Of Honor's Energy Which Seeks To Bind To Any Mind this Is Why Soulcasting works. Remember When Shallan Soulcasts The Goblet It Speaks To Her Mind? Then Takes The Light From Her Sphere.…

Criticize-Refine

The idea is good, but why are you using so many capitals?

I like the theory, but I think Stormlight is the power/body of Cultivation and not really connected to spren. I realize the Highstorms trigger Dalinar's visions with Honor, but who's to say Cultivation isn't helping him out and giving out his "death letter" to mortals who haver the attributes Honor had previously identified to Cultivation. Honor's dead so maybe he needed Cultivation to accomplish it through the Highstorms.

EDIT: forgot to add that these visions are different, Kaladin never experiences them nor does any other character. Dalinar is more important than just being a KR, I think. Maybe he was identified or recruited by Honor/Cultivation as Vin was by Preservation? Just a thought.

Hear me out; many have always assumed that Stormlight was made from Honor, but Stormlight makes you better, it doesn't grant you abilities or bind you in any way...that's exactly what cultivate means: to foster the growth of or improve through care, study and labor. I think it would be a mistake to think Cultivation only has to do with plantlife or something like that, I mean, a sliver like the Lord Ruler could cul;tivate plantlife and move planets, surely a Shard would be stronger than that...unless of course, it was inhibited in some way like Ruin and Preservation.

It is said by Hoid's old apprentice in WoK (I can't remember where it is or the guy's name atm, but I'll keep looking) that Stormlight enhances or improves abilities one already has, but it grants no knowledge not known prior to its use. It makes Kaladin faster, stronger and lighter, but his ability with the spear is already there.

Also, Syl has no problem with Kaladin's use of it, but she really hates the Shardblade.

Edited by Droz

I like the theory, but I think Stormlight is the power/body of Cultivation and not really connected to spren.

Not connected to spren? The spren feed off the stuff! Or at least need it to interact with the Physical Realm.

First off, we don't see spren in Shinovar, where there aren't any Highstorms, and thus no Stormlight. Second, we know that the Nahel Bond between a Person and their Spren (Kaladin and Syl), gives Syl intelligence, and it gives Kaladin the ability to use Stormlight (to strengthen himself, as well as to manipulate the Surges of Pressure and Gravity). Kaladin couldn't give Syl the ability to think if he wasn't sentient, so Syl couldn't give Kaladin the ability to process Stormlight if she didn't have it.

It is possible that Surgebinding (the general name for the magic the Knights Radiants use) is a power that comes out of both Cultivation and Honor (much like Feruchemy is a power that comes out of Preservation and Ruin).

My idea about Stormlight connecting to the cognitive part of objects springs up from Realmatics where it say the actual Shard is just a force needing to be bound to a mind. So Plate/Blade could be of Odium or Cultivation. I don't think Kaladin's bridgeman( I'm sure it wasn't Hoid's apprentice) knew the details of Stormlight or maybe he was more familiar with (Szeth/Sezth)'s unnatural form of surgebinding.

Welcome! If I can say that as a newcomer myself. I think your theory is probably brilliant, but I don't really understand it. I have a thought that relates and I hope will contribute to the discussion.

I read somewhere around here that spren are related to the spiritual realm. This makes sense to me. They are barely physical (maybe doing lightweaving?) and barely cognitive. Syl doesn't have self awareness or remember until she starts to form the Nahel bond with Kaladin. With the bond, she becomes more cognitive (resembling Kaladin) and he becomes able to do spren things like absorb stormlight, manipulate gravity and pressure (spiritual?). She is initially attracted by Kaladin's actions, which are presumably spiritually significant and where he binds himself to various people.

I agree that the spren are tightly tied with the stormlight, which is apparent from the way they ride the storms, they are absent from Shinovar and, when trapped in fabrials, do magic using stormlight.

I am not sure how that relates to your theory, but it seems sort of sideways to it.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Scorpio and 678, I'll definitely concede spren are related to stormlight, but I still think stormlight is something Cultivation would develop to assist mankind. I agree that plate/blade definitely have to do with Odium, but I was thinking that the blades and plate itself was of Odium while the glyphs seen on the KR's plate from the visions was Honor's mark on them to protect the users from Odium's influence. However, again I could be totally wrong.

Honestly, for some reason I just don't get the spren, so I'm really in no position to question much about them.

One of Kaladin's bridgeman was a scholar and knew quite a bit about Stormlight, I thought. Of course, it could be he's wrong, but that's what I was basing it on. His name was Teft and his family apparently knew a lot about Stormlight, pg 918 WoK:

It was more than the Stormlight. Teft had only fragmentary recollection of the things his family had tried to teach him, but those memories all agreed. Stormlight did not grant skill. It could not make a man into something he was not. It enhanced, it strengthened, it invigorated.

It perfected.

Might as well say, IT CULTIVATED< eh?

When Hoid was walking away from Kaladin he told him to "take care of his apprentice" and I always thought that meant Teft for some reason. Could be I'm totally wrong on that score.

It's interesting to say that stormlight is Honor's energy or essence or whatever (like the mists in mistborn?) But Szeth, who is NOT Surgebinding, is also using stormlight. How would you explain that?

Stormlight is only a force/energy without shape. A Spren is Stormlight Focused either through fabrial or intention/action/words. Szeth has a fabrial (possibly from Ghostbloods) that has a similar outcome as surgebinding.

Stormlight = Cultivation, why didn't I think of that?

As I remember, it's discussed in the book that highstorms bring not only stormlight, but crem. Crem was the clay/sludge-like substance found mixed in stormwater that helped crops grow. It also was used in ceramics... And is a curse-word.

Hoid was talking about Sigzil the Worldsinger

Ah, yes. Can we forget I mentioned Hoid's apprentice on this thread?

Edit:

Oh, and this:

A Spren is Stormlight Focused either through fabrial or intention/action/words.

Makes sense, but what about spren that accompany fire or some other innocuous item?

Edited by Droz

• 3 weeks later...

It's interesting to say that stormlight is Honor's energy or essence or whatever (like the mists in mistborn?) But Szeth, who is NOT Surgebinding, is also using stormlight. How would you explain that?

Huh? What do you mean he isn't Surgebinding? Didn't he specifically say that he WAS Surgebinding (in the prologue)? My brother-in-law has my copy so I can't check, but I remember the prologue being the first time the word was used, and it was used in reference to Szeth.

Szeth is Surgebinding, you're right.

What fiveAM was talking about is that Szeth is not on his way to become a KR (who also do Surgebindings but way better that those Surgebinders not bound by their oaths.)

There were Surgebinders even before the KR existed. They're just a sort of Elite-Surgebinders.

• Chaos locked this topic