the black sphere's influence

Eri

When I was reading WoK for the first time and got to the part of prologue where Szeth says that the end of the world is near etc. (where he kills the king) i thought “Wow, this guy must have a lot of plot knowledge”. And then, in the interludes, he didn't say anything as interesting as that.

Recently I've noticed something: at first, Szeth doesn't seem to know the end is coming, he worries that Alethi will make Shards and dominate the world, an then, after he gets the mysterious sphere from the mysterious (a bit) king, he says that thing about the end. And we don't get any more of his PoVs with the sphere, only after he hid it. And he doesn't seem to know anything about the coming end / Desolation / whatever you call it.

So the theory is: having (touching?) the black sphere gives you some knowledge. After that you probably forget it.

Another small observation: the sphere is black, glows with a black light and is scary. Death is also considered scary and associated with colour black. Dying people know or see something.

Maybe the sphere contains a part of whatever the dying people of Roshar go through (in Greek mythlogy it was a river, it may be something material on Roshar too)? Yes, thet is a really wild guess. :D

Edit: Also, this “knowledge” may even not be true, it might be fabricated by Odium. But that is another matter. My theory doesn't claim it to be true or false. Just that the sphere makes you think / know things you normally wouldn't.

Edited by Eri

From Dalinar's vision where he encounters the Midnight Essences, it looked like they were not that big of a deal. Dalinar (whose fighting skill seems to be close to that of a Radiant) and the couple of Knights dispatched, what, a few dozens of the creatures without a serious effort. The black sphere seems to have much greater significance.

I had the thought that the black sphere is connected to the voidbringers (and therefore Odium) which may be why the Parshendi killed him (assuming they're not evil)

For some reason, I've always associated Gavilar with the "good" side. I can't give a logical explanation as to why, but I suspect that he would rather have destroyed something evil than give it to Sazed.

Unless he was trying to keep it away from Dalinar.

For some reason, I've always associated Gavilar with the "good" side. I can't give a logical explanation as to why, but I suspect that he would rather have destroyed something evil than give it to Sazed.

Unless he was trying to keep it away from Dalinar.

Sazed?

Well, I still think that the sphere contained "voidlight", and that part of the voidbinding is creating /animating living things ( Thuderclasts, Midnight Essences). Also, just now an idea crossed my mind: what if this light is connected to the black smoke that comes out of Nightblood and peoples eyes when they are killed by shardblades, and which I think are the shredded/corrupted souls?

Sazed?

Well, I still think that the sphere contained "voidlight", and that part of the voidbinding is creating /animating living things ( Thuderclasts, Midnight Essences). Also, just now an idea crossed my mind: what if this light is connected to the black smoke that comes out of Nightblood and peoples eyes when they are killed by shardblades, and which I think are the shredded/corrupted souls?

Sorry, I meant Szeth.

I always assumed that the "burning eyes" effect of shardblades was simply a result of the souls absence- The shardblade cuts the body's connection to the soul, not the soul itself.

• Chaos locked this topic