Cause and Effect

This is my random crackpot theory. I have no opinion on whether or not it is likely:

What if the Aons aren't based on geography? What if the geography is based on the Aons? The land being shaped by the AonDor into a massive, complex Aon?

The Reod was a shift in the patterns of the Aons, adding a line, and this put stress on the land in the location of the new line, which triggered the earthquake and caused the Chasm to open.

But the drawn Aons aren't animate the same way the land was, so they had no way of adding a line, so they stopped functioning properly.

There is no particular reason to think this theory is correct, or even likely, but I thought it was an interesting idea. Discuss.

What force, magical or otherwise, would cause Aonic patterns (specifically Aon Aon, as it's the basis of everything) to shift like that, assuming this is true? Not the splintering of 'Devotion' and Dominion, since we've confirmed that said splintering happened long before the Reod.

I'm not saying NO to this, as it's an interesting idea. But this fundamental shift must have been triggered by something.

• 3 weeks later...

If this were the case, then perhaps the Aons are fracturing and time is running out 'til a big crack in the wall between the Dor and Sel! That would not be cool.

Another thought I've had for a while: Why do you need to only draw one chasm line in the new aons? Technically, there should be one for every duplication of Aon Aon, properly rotated to match each one. Don't get me wrong! I'm glad there is only one chasm line, but perhaps this note can help further your theory or others.

Another thought I've had for a while: Why do you need to only draw one chasm line in the new aons? Technically, there should be one for every duplication of Aon Aon, properly rotated to match each one. Don't get me wrong! I'm glad there is only one chasm line, but perhaps this note can help further your theory or others.

Perhaps it varies. Most of AonDor is modifiers, so while the Chasm line may be a particularly important one, it is still a modifier of sorts. When the Aon turned Dilaf's wife into something very much like the "dead, sule" Elantrians, it was because a basic line was missing. The lack of the basic line did not prevent it from doing magic; on the contrary, it made her practically immortal, albeit with a terrible cost. So perhaps the Chasm line can be added to certain repetitions of the Aon Aon to bring them out. It may radically change the details of modifiers, but Raoden will be well qualified to figure them out, because already has studied (old) AonDor so much.

• 1 month later...

Perhaps it varies. Most of AonDor is modifiers, so while the Chasm line may be a particularly important one, it is still a modifier of sorts. When the Aon turned Dilaf's wife into something very much like the "dead, sule" Elantrians, it was because a basic line was missing. The lack of the basic line did not prevent it from doing magic; on the contrary, it made her practically immortal, albeit with a terrible cost. So perhaps the Chasm line can be added to certain repetitions of the Aon Aon to bring them out. It may radically change the details of modifiers, but Raoden will be well qualified to figure them out, because already has studied (old) AonDor so much.

Very good point. Also, that first Aon Aon is the base, and seems to be the main foundation for working AonDor. It's likely that as long as you have that proper groundwork in place, you can put in the other various patterns and it will work. After all, the other Aons - that use other strokes instead of repetitions of Aon Aon - don't require new lines.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Here's my question. What is the Dahkor and ClayShan symbols based off of?

I'm not sure if BS would do a repeat of his old magic system, so I'm against the idea of it being their respective home-geography.

As for Dahkor, it seems to be somewhat similar to AonDor, but creating permanent Aon investment inside of a person, like a Kandra blessing. Similar to Hemalurgy, it runs on the life of others (Examples: Teleporting kills 1, Dalif's invulnerability to Aons killed 50, so who's to say creating a dahkor doesn't kill people too?) and seems based in dominating the powers and wants of others to suit your needs.

Edited by Observer

• Chaos locked this topic