Shardic Equilibrium

Arcanist Lupus

So, I was at a signing in Houston, and I asked Brandon how much choice the Shards had on which planets they ended up on. His reply was that they had a lot of choice, but it was not absolute.

From this, I have created my theory, which I shall grandiosely call my "General Theory of Shardic Equilibrium".

Simply stated, I think that Shards can only exist on planets in certain combinations without eventually destroying the planet and/or each other.

For example, Ruin and Preservation had to be together. If one them had left Scadrial, then the planet would not have survived. Obviously Ruin alone would have destroyed the planet, but I think that Preservation alone would have been just as disastrous in the long run for the planet as Ruin alone would be. On the other hand, Endowment cannot be joined by any other shard* without eventually destroying Nalthis.

I further believe that this equilibrium can only be maintained if the Shards are in the same state. i.e. both are controlled by cognitive aspects, both are Splintered, etc. If one is Splintered but the other whole, the world will eventually fall out of balance. This is what happened on Scadrial. Preservation had sacrificed his mind, and Ruin's mind was trapped. The two states were similar enough that they existed like this for a long time, but they weren't the same, so they eventually fell out of balance. Also, if there is no consciousness directing the Shards, they will remain in an unstable equilibrium. The world will not fall apart on its own, but any external influence has the potential to cause dangerous disruptions. This may be what caused the Reod on Sel. If Aona and Skai had been alive, this wouldn't necessarily have been a problem, but with them gone, this could have disrupted the equilibrium of the planet and destroyed it. Raoden partially restored equilibrium, but it remains to be seen if he did so too late.

This brings us to Roshar. On Roshar, there are three Shards: Honor, Odium, and Cultivation. Honor (or at least his cognitive aspect) is dead. Odium is alive. Cultivation is probably alive. However, in order to restore balance to the world, either Cultivation and Odium are going to have to give up their cognitive aspects (the same way Ruin gave up his, if necessary), or Honor will have to gain a new cognitive aspect. I don't think there is any other option. All three Shards must end in the same state by the end of the Stormlight Archive.

I have a side theory regarding the combination of Shards, but I'm tired right now, so that will have to wait for later.

* there may be a certain combination of Shards that includes Endowment that is allowable, but any Shard in general would be problematic.

EDIT: I've realized that "destruction" might not be the proper word to destroy the end result of every unbalanced planet. Let us simply say that any unbalanced planet would be in some way "unhealthy". (i.e. destroyed or distopian, like Brave New World or 1984.)

Edited by Ookla the Insatiable

Why do you think Endowment can't be with another Shard? Not that I disagree with you, I'm just not sure where you're getting it from.

I do like your theory. I'll have to ponder it a bit more, but it does make sense.

But my wonder is why Odium is such a problem. In the Letter in tWoK it seems as though Odium isn't being balanced, so to speak. Why? In terms of your theory. Because maybe he's traveling to other worlds and throwing off their balance?

I agree. It seems to make sense. However, I don't think that the Reod would've destroyed the planet. Just because the magic system is not currently functioning properly doesn't meant that the power of the shard (or its sentience) has been limited. Also, what's your take on Roshar? It seems pretty clear that without Honor and Cultivation, Odium would've (and may be in the process of) destroying the world. But what about Honor and Cultivation without Odium? Or even just Honor? Those seem productive environments . And it seems that Cultivation would work pretty well with Endowment. They both encourage growth, one by helping things grow, the other by sacrificing to give.

I agree. It seems to make sense. However, I don't think that the Reod would've destroyed the planet. Just because the magic system is not currently functioning properly doesn't meant that the power of the shard (or its sentience) has been limited.

I don't think the Reod itself would have destroyed the world. It's the imbalance of power between the Dakhor monks and the Elantrians that would have destroyed the world, in my opinion.
Also, what's your take on Roshar? It seems pretty clear that without Honor and Cultivation, Odium would've (and may be in the process of) destroying the world. But what about Honor and Cultivation without Odium? Or even just Honor? Those seem productive environments.
I think there is more than one way for a world to be "destroyed". For example, Preservation without Ruin wouldn't have destroyed Scadrial in the usual sense. But it would have sent the world into an unhealthy stasis, which if taken to a great enough extreme would have been just as problematic as destroying the world. (Kind of like how the distopia in Brave New World, while not as obviously terrible as the one in 1984, is still considered a distopia). "Destroyed" is probably not the right word to use, but I think that a world with Honor and Cultivation, but without Odium would be just as unhealthy, if not as obviously so, as one with Odium, but without Honor.
And it seems that Cultivation would work pretty well with Endowment. They both encourage growth, one by helping things grow, the other by sacrificing to give.

It's possible that there are combinations of Shards that would bring equilibrium that aren't being used, so Cultivation and Endowment could possibly form a balanced planet. But at the same time, just because two Shards are both positive, and seem to work well together doesn't necessarily mean they'll form a healthy planet.

As for Honor, Cultivation, and Odium, remember that one of the major themes of the Stormlight Archive seems to be that it is powerful adversity that binds things together and makes them strong.

Kalidin's time with the bridgecrew makes him a stronger warrior than he was before. Indeed, the bridgemen are stronger than many soldiers because of their extreme trials.

It is not the desolations that have made Roshar vulnerable as the Everstorm comes, but the complacence and division that has come with the illusion of victory/peace. (see the lamentation on the back of the cover)

The huge animals and motile plantlife that adorns Roshar is toughened by the harsh terrain. In Shin, shielded from the highstorms, animals are weaker and plant life is static. Presuming that human beings and life in general are alien to Roshar (which, considering their mythology, seems reasonable) Shin may well be thought to be untouched by Cultivation, who has been at work behind many of the wonderous kinds of life special to Roshar's unique conditions.

Furthermore, on a meta level, there is the passage in Alloy of Law where someone (I forget) talks about how, in times of peace and stability, few men are good or evil. People are good by inertia rather than choice.

Thus, perhaps the Equilibrium we are seeing in The Stormlight Archive is not one of Opposing Forces as in Mistborn, but a system of growth and strengthening.

Odium is one of the most dangerous Shards. But by opposing both Honor and Cultivation, it allows those Shards to strengthen Roshar.

Without harsh conditions, the animal and plant life of Roshar wouldn't be as strong. It's basic evolution.

Without dire threats, Honor means less. Men and women have to be tested to really be considered good or evil.

When Honor and Cultivation stand against Odium, Roshar thrives.

When there is no Odium, it languishes.

When Odium is not opposed, everyone dies brutally.

Just an idea of course....

In support of Yados:

In some ways, honor is defined by its challenges. For example:

Dark Knight Spoilers:

In the final Joker scene of the Dark Knight, Batman saves the Joker's life, despite how much he might want him dead. If it hadn't been for Batman's desire to kill the Joker, his decision to uphold his honor and save the Joker wouldn't have had nearly as much meaning.

Without Odium, Honor would be reduced to meaninglessness.

Actually this makes a lot of sense. We know that Odium left Roshar for a period of time, and that may have been the time when the Desolations ended. Following this, the Radiants "betrayed" the people, the Silver Kingdoms fell and petty wars swept the lands. This might have weakened Honor, and allowed Odium, when he returned, to dominate and kill him. So by causing imbalance with his absence, Odium ultimately won his stalemate with Honor.

• 2 months later...
Actually this makes a lot of sense. We know that Odium left Roshar for a period of time, and that may have been the time when the Desolations ended. Following this, the Radiants "betrayed" the people, the Silver Kingdoms fell and petty wars swept the lands. This might have weakened Honor, and allowed Odium, when he returned, to dominate and kill him. So by causing imbalance with his absence, Odium ultimately won his stalemate with Honor.

Floowing this line of reasoning with pure speculation...Perhaps the Tranquiline Halls was a planet where only Cultivation and Honor were the Shards and it was a disaster. People were content, lazy and just all around didn't have the skills to keep the world running with efficiency or at all.

So they made an Oathpact with Odium to whip 'em into shape, brought in Voidbringers to chase them all to Odium's planet, Roshar, which was pretty hellish and difficult to survive in, to make people work harder and give them the will to make life better and more sustainable. But that turned out to be a pretty big mistake because Odium is a pretty bad dude, much stronger than Cultivation or Honor, and went off the reservation, killing Shards and making life a living hell for the people that were moved there. Maybe that's why Honor apologizes so much in his vision to Dalinar.

Just random thoughts :D

Depends on what you're improving. I know we all have an idea of what our definitions of improvement are and they probably are things that we believe would make the world better through great works, but can't the opposite be improved? For example, couldn't Dr. Evil be made more evil, thereby improving the evilness of his nature? Couldn't someone improve their state of leisure by improving the laziness of their nature? Could weakness not be cultivated in men if there were no danger from enemies and no needs or wants unmet? Of course, the theory above would assume the definition of improvement for Honor and Cultivation would be the same as ours.

Cultivation, as a process of improvement, still requires a focus. You need to define what you're getting better at. I can see Odium being quite the whetstone for Cultivation's projects.

I think it's worth considering that not all shards belonged, though. At the start of this thread, I thought it very possible that Odium has never belonged. That he's been wandering the cosmere being a Pretty Bad Dude. It's just that Cultivation and Honor locked him into a war. Now, however, I'm considering that Honor is the shard who doesn't belong. Perhaps he was the mingler here. Perhaps he's the writer of the letter even.

At the end of the day, while I can understand the concept of Shardic Equilibrium and could get behind the theory as a whole, can we honestly say Roshar has ever been in balance?

Edited by Pechvarry

• Chaos locked this topic