Skyward 2 Second Draft Finished, Other Book Plans, And Custom Steel Alphabet Rings

Yesterday, Brandon turned in the second draft to the sequel of Skyward. This is good news, as he said that he had to scrap large chunks of Skyward 2. Brandon figuring out how to make that book work is good news for all of us! He also updates us with what his plans are for the future. Writing on Stormlight 4 begins, for sure, in January! In the meantime, Brandon says he will get revisions done on a few smaller projects.

But you might be wondering, "wasn't he planning to write The Lost Metal, the last Wax and Wayne book, before January?" Well, Brandon's been saying at signings that might not happen. In this tweet, Brandon says, "I do promise to find time for the last Wax and Wayne book somewhere, too." At some signings, he has said he may do it in between parts of Stormlight 4. This will likely mean no cosmere in 2019, since Brandon isn't writing Lost Metal this year.

Steel Alphabet Rings by Badali

In other news, Badali Jewelry, who has done a variety of Brandon related jewelry, now has custom Steel Alphabet rings. You can have your own phrase, written in the Steel Alphabet! Your phrase has a maximum of 20 characters, but it's pretty awesome nonetheless. They are pretty pricey though: the cheapest is $129 for a sterling silver one, and uh, $1500 if you want it in real gold! Still, the effect of the ring is really nice:

MIST-11-Hand.jpg

Isaac Stewart, artist extraordinaire for Dragonsteel (who made these symbols), says, "I can vouch for these rings. They're very well-made and are so beautiful. (Of course, I'm biased, but I have one with my name on it, and I absolutely love it!)" Of course, let us know if you happen to propose to your significant other with these rings.

Edited by Chaos

User Feedback

No Cosmere in 2019? But what about White Sand Volume 3?!? If the pattern continues, it should be out in February April July August!

Link to comment
Chaos

Posted

1 minute ago, thegatorgirl00 said:

You mean August 2020? ;)

Link to comment
1 minute ago, Chaos said:

You mean August 2020? ;)

Volume 1 to 2 was a little over a year and a half. It probably won't be that long.

Link to comment

Aww, that's practically two years with no Cosmere stories. 5 more and we'll be making GRRM jokes about Brandon.

Link to comment

A pity, but as long as he stays commited to churning out Stormlight-epics I'm fine with some pauses.

Link to comment

Has he commented on the 'secret project' listed on the progress bars of his website?

Because if not, that screams Cosmere to me, especially in light of an elsewise two year gap

Link to comment
Chaos

Posted

59 minutes ago, What's a Seawolf? said:

He hasn't said anything about it (other than it being noncosmere), but said we would probably get an announcement before State of Sanderson. You can bet we will do a news post when we hear what it is.

Link to comment

Okay guys, I know you all are in a state of distress since there's no cosmere (believe me I am too) but you guys SKYWARD IS COMING OUT NEXR MONTH! I could not be more excited! And he's already started the sequel! How cool is that!

Link to comment
On 10/2/2018 at 1:28 PM, thegatorgirl00 said:

It's published by Dynamite. You could plausibly believe Stormlight 5 will be out before then. I'm thinking a 2020 release date, though.

So Lost Metal will be postponed, which will postpone the Elantris sequels which might postpone the Era 3 Mistborn trilogy (though I think it might get started before the Elantris sequels). If he does not get some of Lost Metal written, I can not see him finishing it/ writing it while working on Stormlight 4, since that is apparently the hardest and most involved project he is on.

And if that occurs, the question becomes when will Skyward 3 be written? What takes precedence, Skyward 3 or Lost Metal?

I am pretty much readying myself for a 2022 release of the Lost Metal. This year's State of the Sanderson might change that calculus, but a lot depends on how much of Lost Metal and/or Skyward 3 has been "written".

To add one clarification: it's excellent that he is sticking to the Stormlight schedule. That is the most important project currently.

Link to comment
12 hours ago, TheOrlionThatComesBefore said:

I am pretty much readying myself for a 2022 release of the Lost Metal.

Honestly it looks pretty sad if we have to wait 6 years for the next Mistborn book. Bands of Mourning came out January 2016...

I know he's busy with other series/books, but this delays Era 3 Mistborn too so its a double hit. :(

Link to comment
4 hours ago, TheLordRuler said:

Precisely!

I think we'll be fine once we get to Era 3. Mistborn and Stormlight are the most important series, it's getting there that might be somewhat painful.

Link to comment

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Already have an account? Sign in here.