Connection of Atium with Elantris?

Ashspren

Hi everyone,

I was reading through the list of Aons at the back of Elantris, and I realized something: the Aon for “hope” is “Ati.”

Ati, as in the man who was the host for Ruin? Who Atium was named for?

Unfortnunately, as I was reading through, I could not find anything for Leras in the Aons...  :(

Is this just a coincidence? Or is there a connection through this (rather ironic) name? Maybe Ruin and whoever hosted Dominion or Dominion, the two Shards on Sel, had some sort of connection before the Shattering.

6B76B989-7D46-45BC-BF75-9D16507AF857.jpeg

19 minutes ago, Ashspren said:

Is this just a coincidence?

Almost certainly.

(2013) Per Phantom Monstrosity:

It's been officially confirmed as a coincidence (Ati the Aon was named after a girl named Matisse who did an Elantris diorama thingy, IIRC). They're even pronounced differently - not that anyone would notice.

(2014) Per Oudeis:

The character Matisse was named after a student of his wife's. She did an excellent book report on Elantris, a la books like Dragonology, not at the time aware that that her teacher was dating Mr. Sanderson, and ended up giving the two of them the book report as a wedding gift. Mr. Sanderson wrote this story for her, and the only three-letter combination in her name with two vowels was "Ati" so he had to make that the Aon.

Just this once, I think we have to accept that it was coincidence.

(2015) Per WieryWriter:

As for Aon Ati, I'm pretty sure that Brandon has said that is a coincidence (and that they aren't even pronounced the same way), since it was based off of the name Matisse and Ati is the only Aon that can be derived from that name.

(Early 2017) Per Pagerunner:

Aon Ati was drawn from the name of a real-life person, 'cause it's the only combination of letters that fit the Aon linguistic pattern. The short story with Matisse was written while Brandon was working on Mistborn 2, so he had already named atium (and therefore Ati).

(Mid 2017) Per Oversleep:

IIRC Aon Ati was actually made so that "Matisse" (which Hope of Elantris is tribute to) could be an Aonic name.

• Chaos locked this topic