[OB] A Theory on Shardic Intent

Donkyhotay

First of all, this is *not* my own theory. This theory was originally posted here however it's such a great theory that explains a lot about the Shards and fits so perfectly I'm certain that at least the core of it is correct. I haven't seen this theory posted here already so I figured I'd post it here as well for those that don't read reddit.

I have been thinking about the Shardic Intents lately, and Ive been attempting to find some actual method to figuring out what the remaining Shards might be, particularly the fabled Shard that knows too much and just wants to Survive.

Separately, it's long bugged me that the Cosmere started off with 16 (a base two number) but the Universal Structure is built on three Realms. This is just an irrational nagging feeling that tangled on my OCD more than anything significant. But I think I have found a way to reconcile the two. Brandon has said that he peppered larger clues in a lot of the early Cosmere works so that when he got to the final arcs there would be common themes and patterns that tie things together. Ive always though the whole 16 Shards/16 Allomantic Metals just such a thing. And if you look at the Metallic Arts, they are grouped according to the Three Realms PLUS Time, which appeases my OCD by harking to the classic Three Dimensions of Space Plus Time.

All that to say I think Ive figured out a Roadmap of the Shardic Intents based on the pattern of Allomantic Metals that could be useful to us.

• There are four groups: Physical, Cognitive, Spiritual, and Temporal
  • Within each Group there is an axis of Positive vs Negative
  • Within each Group there is an axis of In vs Out (Internal/External, Inward/Outward, Endothermic/Exothermic, etc].

• Thus each Intent can be expressed syllogistically (Mad-lib style) in the general form of:

[insert Shard] Does/Doesn't want Themselves/Others to [Be in that Realm, or Change in Time]

Under this model, Preservation and Ruin are perfectly aligned (as well as opposed) because Ruin Doesn't want Anything to Exist while Preservation Doesnt want Anything to Change; They are both Outward Negative, but one is focused on the Physical presence while the other is focused on the Temporal. Filling out that set we have Odium Who doesnt want Anyone to Connect Spiritually, and Dominion who Doesnt want anyone to Challenge Order/Authority. Cultivation Wants Everyone Else to Improve Over Time, while Ambition wants Themselves to Improve Over Time. Devotion is a Dedication to ones Spiritual Connections with the Outside World, while Honor is about dedication in Internal Spirituality.

I think this offers a Roadmap to compare known Shards and attempt to fill in the Gaps of the unknown ones. My current guesses are:

• The Inward Negative Temporal Shard is Conviction (Doesnt want Themselves to Change, as Compared to Preservation)
  • The Inward Positive Cognitive Shard is Enlightenment/Wisdom (Wants Themselves to Gain Cognitively, as compared to Endowment that wants to enhance others) This is my suspect for the Shard that Knows too much and just wants to Survive.
  • The Inward Negative Spiritual Shard is Solitude (Wants Themselves to have no Spritual Connections)

The Physical ones are tough, Ive come up with Paragon (Positive In), Ascetic (Negative In) and Creation (Positive Out) but none of those feel right.

EDIT: One thing I should also mention is that one part of my logic was that Shards whose Intents' are Temporal are the ones that are innately involved in Change and Temporal Progression and that those are the shards we can expect to have Shardic Future Sight.

EDIT (adding various guesses from comments):

• Physical Positive In: Hedonism, Pleasure, Survival (Darwinian "of the Fittest"), Experience
  • Physical Negative In: Masochism, Survival, Pain
  • Physical Positive Out: Charity, Servitude, Compassion

Thoughts?

Are you saying that there is a temporal realm added onto the other three realms that some shards affect/see into more than others?

Would Hoid be able to travel in this realm, explaining why when he shows up at places he doesn't know when he is because he basically time-traveled into the future.

2 hours ago, Ookla the oathgate said:

I really don't think this disproves the theory. The WoB just says that the shards aren't paired. This chart agrees, each shard would share up to three characteristics with other shards. Ruin and Preservation share two of these three attributes, but also their intents just make them opposites by nature. However, with this theory, you could also argue that Cultivation was the opposite of Preservation, because she encourages other things to change over time, while Preservation encourages things to stay the same over time. So each shard wouldn't have a perfect pair, just several shards that they shared characteristics with.

Edited by Weardear
Spelling

• Chaos locked this topic