GenCon 2017

WeiryWriter

So Brandon just recently mentioned on reddit that he will be at GenCon this year. If I had to guess it would be as part of the launch of Mistborn: House War, but he'll be doing a number of events:

Thursday

2:00pm-3:00pm - Worldbuilding: Creating a Universe of Worlds

4:00pm-5:00pm - Brandon Sanderson signing

Friday

1:00pm-2:00pm - Q&A with Brandon Sanderson

1:00pm-5:00pm - Play Magic: The Gathering with Brandon Sanderson

6:00pm-7:00pm - Writing Excuses LIVE!

7:00pm-8:00pm - Writing Excuses LIVE!

Saturday

12:00pm-1:00pm - Brandon Sanderson signing

2:00pm-3:00pm - Worldbuilding: Making Magic New Again

3:00pm-4:00pm - Writer's Craft: Can a Hero be Too Powerful?

Wow, tickets for those events went fast! Does anybody know if it would still theoretically be possible to get into events like the Q&A or one of the signings without a ticket? The FAQ online just talks about event tickets "guaranteeing" a spot...does that mean I could still show up without a ticket and at least have a chance of getting in?

Theoretically there's some standing room or something, at least for the Q&As.  I'm definitely going to be trying to attend both the Worldbuilding panels and both the signings, despite only getting tickets for one of the panels.  

EDIT: I will also be trying to attend the Q&A, because I want to ask my Dor questions.  

Just in case, however, I'd like to post them here for purposes of wordsmithing (and also if people can ask it in my stead if I cannot):

1. "What percentage of notable features of Sel are accounted for in the Dor?  [Cite Aon Aon and the Forging setting mark as two examples if necessary]"
  2. "When an Elantrian draws an Aon, what happens to the end result if an invalid line is included (e.g. if the Dakhor super speed rune was included)?" And lastly, if the answer is anything besides "it would fizzle immediately upon drawing the invalid line":
  3. "Would it be possible for, say, an Elantrian to make a 3-D model of Sel using only Dor-capable symbols, and if so, what would that accomplish?"  
Edited by Landis963

• 2 months later...
21 minutes ago, supersteve524 said:

Just asked this at his signing:

Q:If I wanted to hemalurgically acquire a power from First of the Sun, which metal would the spike need to be?

A:This is going to be pretty complicated, but several metals would work.

Q:Would it involve connection between the person being spiked and the bird?

A:Well it would be even harder than on Roshar, where you need to somehow spike the spren and also the Radiant.  You would need to spike the bird and steal the power, but also spike the person and steal connection.

This is HUGE! Finally, confirmation that you need to use metal everywhere in the Cosmere for Spiking.

9 minutes ago, Khyrindor said:

This is HUGE! Finally, confirmation that you need to use metal everywhere in the Cosmere for Spiking.

People will still argue it. Brandon's stated before that you would need to know "where to place the spikes" and people argue that the focus should change how hemalurgy works somehow. 

I agree this is confirmation of metal, and so hemalurgy should work consistently throughout the Cosmere. Spikes and metal. Glad that's finally settled. 

Have to bookmark this for the inevitable "but no" threads. 

The Hemalurgy WoBs are really cool, to be honest I was always aganist the idea of the Focus-Shifting from Shardworld to Shardworld and this WoB indeed put another nail on that coffin....But I am sure there will be people that will keep to argue aganist because there is no a direct and explicit WoB on the matter (also if once you know a bit of Realmatic, the Focus-Shifting seems a great no sense. Thanks @supersteve524

What am I missing here folks? The question is conditional and asks what type of metal. Brandon doesn't seem to say that only metals can be used. That's my firm belief anyway but I just don't see an explicit confirmation that ONLY a metal can be used. I love the question and the answer because of the confirmation of spiking both aviar and human, but I just don't see it being conclusive. Enlighten me :)

27 minutes ago, Extesian said:

What am I missing here folks? The question is conditional and asks what type of metal. Brandon doesn't seem to say that only metals can be used. That's my firm belief anyway but I just don't see an explicit confirmation that ONLY a metal can be used. I love the question and the answer because of the confirmation of spiking both aviar and human, but I just don't see it being conclusive. Enlighten me :)

If the focus of Hemalurgy (as with the other two metallic arts) is metal, then metal should be a requirement of the magic regardless of location or what it's stealing. 

For hemalurgy to use something other than metal would require its focus to change dependent on the world it's being used on and/or traits it's attempting to steal. 

We've seen no other evidence of any magic that's focus changes and I personally think that for one to be capable of changing they'd all have to. 

This WoB confirms both metal and spikes for a world and trait that are both non-scadrian.

With hemalurgy having developed as an outgrowth of Scadrial and its focus, how can hemalurgy work without metal without breaking what we know of realmatics? 

Edited by Calderis

I certainly never believed the focus changed, but I see the point (having woken up a bit more). If the focus changed surely it would on a different planet, or not at all. I still think there's an argument that a focus can be added rather than changed on a different planet, for those who believe the focus can change. But I get it, it's another, stronger, argument against that. Which I'm down with as it was always my belief. Still, I think there's some room to move for the changing-focus crowd. 

29 minutes ago, Cowmanthethird said:

I've always had a pet theory in the back of my head for the focus of Hemalurgy being the bind points rather than the metal, and this actually supports it rather nicely with the "several metals would work" bit.

I just took that to mean different aviar abilities would need different metals. 

25 minutes ago, Calderis said:

I just took that to mean different aviar abilities would need different metals. 

I suppose I could see that interpretation, but of course my mind automatically went to the one that supports the theory I'm building. :P

I think if it depended on the Aviar's power, he would have said something more like "it would require different metals depending on the circumstance" rather than "several will work"

Regardless of this context, we know that Atium, 'Trellium', and steel are all capable of stealing Allomantic steel, for instance.

As Harmony himself once said...

The art that is unique to Hemalurgy, however, is the knowledge of where to place the spikes.

Edited by Cowmanthethird

My wife got to ask this question of Brandon at Gencon

"Does harmony have Straff Venture's hidden Atium"

Which was based off this question in the ultimate list.

"Straff tells Zane he’s buried a cache of atium where only he knows.  Shortly thereafter, he dies.  Did Straff retrieve it?  Was he lying?  Did Ruin find it and metabolize back a tiny bit of his own power?  Did Harmony eventually find it?  Or is there a little bit more atium left in the world than we realize?"

The paraphrased answer was this

Brandon: " Harmony has everything he needs, but that doesn't answer your question, No Harmony does not have Straff's Atium"

That could means there is a little more Atium hidden away during the later eras! I know it doesn't answer all parts of the question in the ultimate list, but it helps !

4 minutes ago, PunSpren said:

My wife got to ask this question of Brandon at Gencon

"Does harmony have Straff Venture's hidden Atium"

Which was based off this question in the ultimate list.

"Straff tells Zane he’s buried a cache of atium where only he knows.  Shortly thereafter, he dies.  Did Straff retrieve it?  Was he lying?  Did Ruin find it and metabolize back a tiny bit of his own power?  Did Harmony eventually find it?  Or is there a little bit more atium left in the world than we realize?"

The paraphrased answer was this

Brandon: " Harmony has everything he needs, but that doesn't answer your question, No Harmony does not have Straff's Atium"

That could means there is a little more Atium hidden away during the later eras! I know it doesn't answer all parts of the question in the ultimate list, but it helps !

This is interesting mainly for Realmatic Reason.
The actual Atium's value is no more in the current era, there It was an overpowered metal only for TLR's sake and with the limitation he placed to hide all the ways to counter it.
We could hope to see some of its Alloys in action, but it's really unlikely to find it

1 hour ago, Yata said:

This is interesting mainly for Realmatic Reason.
The actual Atium's value is no more in the current era, there It was an overpowered metal only for TLR's sake and with the limitation he placed to hide all the ways to counter it.
We could hope to see some of its Alloys in action, but it's really unlikely to find it

Why would Atium have no value in the current future eras? 

Spoiler

yes there are no mistborn around anymore, but we know various groups are working to breed their own

even if you cant burn it, with the increased focus on hemalurgy as a plot point an atium spike could be quite interesting......

1 minute ago, PunSpren said:

Why would Atium have no value in the current future eras? 

Hide contents

yes there are no mistborn around anymore, but we know various groups are working to breed their own

even if you cant burn it, with the increased focus on hemalurgy as a plot point an atium spike could be quite interesting......

Because Atium as a Spikes is a Joker true, but with the actual improved Metallurgic knowledge you could simply use the right Spike instead on rely on Atium for absence of (for example) a Nicrosil Spike.

The Atium Feruchemy is interesting but not worth a really limited result.

If you also manage to breed a Mistborn, in the current era an Atium user could be killed quite easly, Electrum is a counter-atium and Alluminium doesn't show an Atium Shadow at all. You could kill an Atium user in the same way you could kill Wax (for example).

Again the Atium Alloy could be interesting in Allomancy and (much more) Feruchemy but it's a gamble

Reddit user AugustDream posted this Q&A from GenCon:

AugustDream: If you made a sword-shaped necrosil metal mind, and dumped **a lot** of unkeyed investiture into it, could you make a Nightblood-esque shardblade? And if you actually didn't go to the trouble and just dumped a lot of keyed investiture into it, would that change the outcome?

Brandon: "You're getting close to how this type of thing works but you're missing a few things. Keep working on it."