Dalinar...(spoilers)

So.... spoiler alert.....

if Dalinar has bonded with the stormfather, and the stormfather is who infuses gems with light, and if Dalinar can control his new spren enough, can he change the way highstorms interact with the world? Ex. frequency, strength etc

the point I am trying to get to is if he can learn to exert a certain level of control through his nahel bond he can essentially control the amount of stormlight given (which would control one of the most valuable things on roshar, currency)

he could change and possibly crash the economy based on his will alone.

also does this mean that he can hold out long enough that all surgebinders starve and go powerless? Same with shardplate? Does he get an unlimited amount of stormlight directly from his spren? Does he have unlimited bondsmithing potential while destroying the economy and making all magical forms of attack and defense (besides shardblades) useless? No radiant police force to stop him after they run out of stormlight....

It is a very good thing that Dalinar is a level headed, well rounded, honorable man.

based on how the stormfather has interacted with Dalinar so far, I would say he has yet to achieve a baseline cordial relationship before he can even hope to influence our favorite grumpy cloudface. The Stormfather is able to refuse Dalinar Shardblade access, so he does retain a not insignificant measure of control even with the Nahel Bond. I really doubt Dalinar will be able to change the Stormfather willfully.

More likely to me would be a few other unintended consequences: The bond gives spren an increased presence in the Physical Realm. How would that change the world? Maybe the Stormfather will have a harder time hiding himself from people, like pattern. Maybe the highstorms will be stronger/infuse gems more strongly. Maybe a bigger Connection to the Physical will allow Tanavast's cognitive shadow portion of the Stormfather to come back and play in the world again (ok, that one isn't very likely).

• 10 months later...
  • Chaos locked this topic