[AU Spoilers?] Constellation Map Symbolism

Argent

Turns out Isaac is a little busy with a deadline right now, so he'll get back to me sometime after mid-next week. 

It's either that or I terrified him with the list of questions I sent him, and he needs time to recuperate. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, Pagerunner said:

Hey, @Argent, did you ever hear back from Isaac? He tweeted that he turned in his 'last project of the year' on the 30th, so it might be a good time for some follow-up.

I pinged him on Dec 19, which was only a few days after the ETA he gave me. I wanted to give him more time before I pinged him again.

Seriously people... Your overlooking the obvious answer for Taldain's tree. Who is the most famous world hopper? Stick! Taldain is obviously the home system of Stick. Stick is so self aware, that he has become a model, not only to his home planet, but his whole system. His system has taken the form of a Stick in honor of Stick itself. Stick has become a world hopper in an attempt to spread the truth of stickness. He keeps reaching out to locals as he world hops, but it hasn't taken hold yet. He's been forced to fix the Dor thanks to Raodin. He has tried to get Vivenna to become self aware, but she was too busy trying to force her will onto other objects. After all, a rope is a rope... Shallan at least listened to what he had to say, though she seemed rather put off by Sticks ideology. Fear not though. His home system has seen the light, and followed Sticks example, and so too will the rest of the Cosmier. I believe Stick said it best when he said, "I am a stick." Man, that brings tears to my eyes...

Edited by DarkJester

On 12/8/2016 at 4:21 AM, HoidvsVoid said:

First, what is the most likely difference between the colored planets? (Is there a specific reason other than color?) 

I'm not sure if the 'red' color in the scar is based on magic (Brandon said that corrupted investiture is red like we have already seen in some cases) or based on science (The color of a star comes from the temperature of its surface. The hottest stars are blue, cooler stars are white and yellow, and the coolest stars of all are red).

As a side note, what do you guys think about only some star systems having asteroid belt, dwarf planet and comet belt (or some combination thereof)?

Edited by Herald

• 1 month later...

Good to finally have these clarifications. Modern constellations, based on what's happening in those worlds, but not the constellations that the inhabitants of the PoV-planet identify. I think the frontrunner is definitely Yolen, again; it can't be any of the planets shown (obviously), and it's not from Silverlight, so the only other planet we know of is Yolen.

Isaac notes that there are colors other than red and yellow. Just to note, Roshar, First of the Sun, and Taldain are all bluish-white. Doesn't seem to be any mystery there; these are the actual colors of these stars. It might all be a natural red. Or there might be something supernatural behind it.

I thought I was on to something about when the map was created, by noticing that Scadrial was in Nalthis's constellation. I thought it wasn't inhabited yet, when the map was drawn. It looks like it's just a spatial arrangement issue; Nalthis and Scadrial are too close together, let's go with Nalthis for the symbolism.

Not sure I understand the symbolism behind the tree for Bavadin... trees are usually in forests or jungles, where they're surrounded by lots of other trees. Is this supposed to be, like, a desert tree that's chilling on its own in the middle of nowhere? More of a Lonely Tree?

Lastly, Isaac mentions that some of these stars are extracosmeric. (Is it okay if I just make up a new term like that?) I wonder if he's referring to random other stars in the background or in constellations, or if he's referring to part or all of The Scar?

2 hours ago, Pagerunner said:

Isaac notes that there are colors other than red and yellow. Just to note, Roshar, First of the Sun, and Taldain are all bluish-white. Doesn't seem to be any mystery there; these are the actual colors of these stars. It might all be a natural red. Or there might be something supernatural behind it.

Yeah, I should've known better than to leave a member of Team Sanderson easy out like that. Then again, who knows? Maybe Isaac is not as shifty :)

2 hours ago, Pagerunner said:

Not sure I understand the symbolism behind the tree for Bavadin... trees are usually in forests or jungles, where they're surrounded by lots of other trees. Is this supposed to be, like, a desert tree that's chilling on its own in the middle of nowhere? More of a Lonely Tree?

That's kind of my interpretation. An isolated tree.

It's interesting to note that Threnody (home to "the Evil") is the same general shade as the stars in the Scar. Also, looking at SFSitFoH, it appears that the Scar is referred to as the "starbelt" there, and is helpful for navigation. This paints something of a contrast to the negative image 'Scar' promotes. I'm not sure what the ultimate conclusion of this should be, but I felt it worth noting.

Edit: I just noticed this was mentioned earlier. Whoops. Sorry, all

Edited by Bugsy6912

Alot of stars we know to have shards got "radiance lines"

Dont seem to fit 100% but close, and didnt ambition die on one of the stars that lack shard but got those lines? Might be something simular on the other. Or maybe just mean there is alot of investiture, or perhaps mean that there is an active perpendiculary? (Do we know if there is one on Threnody?)

11 minutes ago, Argent said:

Honestly, I think the color and light representation of the stars is just based on the stars' luminosity... =\

Maybe, but size would seem to indicate that. wierd to use several different ways to convey the same thing.

Way more boring from a forum pov too ;)

*edit

One wonders where this is supposed to be seen from. Almost haveto be from Yolen? Or from Silverlight? Haveto be an origin point that sees theese constelations when looking on the sky?

Edited by dyring

2 minutes ago, Argent said:

Perspective is not from Silverlight. My - and many others' - money is on Yolen, but that doesn't have to be the case.

Just a correction on this (unless you've seen something more recent - but this is from the most recent signing)

Q: But who’s looking at these constellations?
A: So it is from a specific perspective, that Isaac will someday reveal. He drew this at my request; this is from a frame of reference. But we haven’t told you what it is. The best guess is that it’s Silverlight. I haven’t confirmed it, but it is the best guess. The second best guess is Yolen. There are a couple things that people have guessed, but I haven’t confirmed which it is.

So the perspective could be from Silverlight and is a 'better' guess than Yolen. His wording makes me think it's neither but then he is tricksy.

• Chaos locked this topic