2016-10-22 La Dimension Fantastique - Paris, France

Geoffray

Hey Gals and Guys,

This morning i've received the newsletters from Brandon, and I was most surprised to see that he was coming to Paris \o/. I've already place a "rest" day at work, and will be there. 

So, if you want, I propose to ask a question to Brandon (most certainly RAFO but whatever ^^) and also help in case of retranscription of any other question. 

Sibsidiary remarks: if any member of the 17th is coming,make yourselk known ^^. I'll be fun to discuss of Brandon while waiting his signature ^^.

Heya, I've been inactive on the forum since around after SH's release...? I need to get back into cosmere theorising hahaha.... Anyway, I might be going there. It'd be my first time meeting Brandon. What should I know before going? Should I make an audio recording of the event? Does Brandon need any help whatsoever?

Edited by yurisses

So Ahuri3 over on reddit went to this signing and asked the following question, not verbatim:

Q: In which published book is Hoid the happiest ?

A: He is the happiest when he is getting away with something. Not in the Stormlight Archive because he is nervous about Odium being there. I think he is the happiest during the Wax and Wayne series, in bands of mourning maybe.

5 hours ago, WeiryWriter said:

So Ahuri3 over on reddit went to this signing and asked the following question, not verbatim:

Interesting.  This implies that Hoid is unaware of the Shard currently encroaching on Scadrial's cosmic turf.  If it is Odium, as I suspect, this means Hoid is unaware of his escape, while if it is not, this means Hoid is unaware of the new threat.  Or I could be reading too much into it.

Okay, so thinformparshendi over on reddit has also posted a short report:

I was there too! I asked him if Wit was always gonna tell Kaladin a story in every book, he said Wit will always tell someone a story, but it won't always be Kal.

My wife asked if we would regret naming our firstborn Kaladin (seeing as we don't yet know how Kal turns out), and he said "you'll probably be very happy naming your son that" haha, so there's that.

This is what I got from the signing via a friend (Thank him for that!):

Question: When writing Stormlight, did you get any inspirations from the Chinese Confucian system? The Azish government really reminds me of that.

Brandon: So... Yes. Um... Chinese. 新年快乐? This is my only Chinese. [It means] Happy new year. So yes. Living in Korea for several years, I became very interested in the Confucian system. When I returned back from Korea, I studied in college about Chinese history and I found it fascinating. So the Azish are partially inspired by the Chinese Confucian system.

Question: Also a weird question, has Hoid ever had a romantic interest?

Brandon: Hoid has had romantic interest in the past.

Question: Do you have any further plans about Moash? Will he have more screen time in Stormlight 3?

Brandon: I have big plans for Moash, and he will actually have viewpoints in Stormlight 3. So good question!

Question: So WoR mentions a particularly bright star known as the Tear (a reference to a tear shed by somebody named Reya) is that "star" actually one of the other planets in the greater roshar system, if so is it Ashyn or Braize?

Brandon: RAFO.

(The first two questions are from me. The last question is from @WeiryWriter. Also thanks for the updates above!)

Side note: I'm really excited about reading Moash's PoVs in Stormlight 3!

Edited by Botanica

I've also ask some question:

Is Thaidakar the leader of the Ghostbloods?

Is A leader.

Are the Ghostbloods and the Seventeenth Shard working together?

No.

When I told him that I pick up the question on Seventheenth Shards, he smiles and says to says Hi :).

It was a great signing. Brandon was so cool (as always).

3 hours ago, Botanica said:

Side note: I'm really excited about reading Moash's PoVs in Stormlight 3!

Great questions, but I have to admit I am worried about Moash's great upcoming role... I have always felt we needed a darkeyed antagonist within SA, but a larger role implies a redemption and I currently feel we have too many of those upcoming already (Elhokar, Szeth, Eshonai). I would personally prefer if Moash remained a misguided antagonist with perhaps a short-lived redemption towards the end, but an antagonist nonetheless more so since he is a darkeye. I have always considered SA revolved around the idea good and bad people came in all eye colors which is why I have always felt Moash was crucial to illustrate not all bridgemen are/were good people: some are just vengeful, such as him. I have also always thought Moash was important for Kaladin to understand his oaths imply he has to protect people whenever it is right, not just because he likes them. Giving him a redemption would more or less ruined the point, IMHO.

However, if it isn't a redemption, than sure. I am all for it. Since he has viewpoints, then he may be the mystery novella character or the interlude novella one.

Edited by maxal

1 hour ago, maxal said:

Great questions, but I have to admit I am worried about Moash's great upcoming role... I have always felt we needed a darkeyed antagonist within SA, but a larger role implies a redemption and I currently feel we have too many of those upcoming already (Elhokar, Szeth, Eshonai). I would personally prefer if Moash remained a misguided antagonist with perhaps a short-lived redemption towards the end, but an antagonist nonetheless more so since he is a darkeye. I have always considered SA revolved around the idea good and bad people came in all eye colors which is why I have always felt Moash was crucial to illustrate not all bridgemen are/were good people: some are just vengeful, such as him. I have also always thought Moash was important for Kaladin to understand his oaths imply he has to protect people whenever it is right, not just because he likes them. Giving him a redemption would more or less ruined the point, IMHO.

However, if it isn't a redemption, than sure. I am all for it. Since he has viewpoints, then he may be the mystery novella character or the interlude novella one.

I...don't think he necessarily has a redemption arch coming...(or so I hope).

Personally, Moash seems like the kind of guy whom thinks his actions are good and from his POV they seem good, but is actually in the wrong when it comes to the larger picture. He is sympathetic, but not necessarily right either. Protagonist (in his parts) doesn't have to equate to goodness/redemption...Though, it'll probably be up to the reader to decided if he earned a bit of redemption are not.

It's kind of like the Lord Ruler in HoA. Just because Sazed thinks that LR was good/earned redemption by creating the safehouses, doesn't mean the reader has to agree with him. (I don't. Rashek was still villain, even though slightly lesser one than originally thought.)

So I guess I'm hoping Moash ends up being rather grey, comparatively...:P

Edited by Kandra-in-disguise

50 minutes ago, Kandra-in-disguise said:

I...don't think he necessarily has a redemption arch coming...(or so I hope).

Personally, Moash seems like the kind of guy whom thinks his actions are good and from his POV they seem good, but is actually in the wrong when it comes to the larger picture. He is sympathetic, but not necessarily right either. Protagonist (in his parts) doesn't have to equate to goodness/redemption...Though, it'll probably be up to the reader to decided if he earned a bit of redemption are not.

It's kind of like the Lord Ruler in HoA. Just because Sazed thinks that LR was good/earned redemption by creating the safehouses, doesn't mean the reader has to agree with him. (I don't. Rashek was still villain, even though slightly lesser one than originally thought.)

So I guess I'm hoping Moash ends up being rather grey, comparatively...:P

I agree with you here. Antagonists are the most interesting when the reasons behind their actions can be rationalized and even sound right, from their perspective. A great example would be Taravangian which is truly convinced he is acting for the greater good and truly feels the sacrifice of innocents, civil wars and the collapse of kingdoms are inevitable if humanity is to survive. I wouldn't mind if Moash would keep on being used and misguided towards taking the wrong decisions, but I typically feel there is a point of no return. 

A redemption arc has to be crafted very carefully and the character has to be redeemable. In the case of Moash, I merely feel he works well as an antagonist because he illustrates what happens when a broken man takes the wrong path, the wrong journey. He serves as a mirror to what Kaladin might have become had he chosen differently. I find these small parallels interesting and I wouldn't Moash story to end up in him becoming yet another Radiant or to redeem himself completely. Grey works just fine with me.

3 minutes ago, maxal said:

I agree with you here. Antagonists are the most interesting when the reasons behind their actions can be rationalized and even sound right, from their perspective. A great example would be Taravangian which is truly convinced he is acting for the greater good and truly feels the sacrifice of innocents, civil wars and the collapse of kingdoms are inevitable if humanity is to survive. I wouldn't mind if Moash would keep on being used and misguided towards taking the wrong decisions, but I typically feel there is a point of no return. 

A redemption arc has to be crafted very carefully and the character has to be redeemable. In the case of Moash, I merely feel he works well as an antagonist because he illustrates what happens when a broken man takes the wrong path, the wrong journey. He serves as a mirror to what Kaladin might have become had he chosen differently. I find these small parallels interesting and I wouldn't Moash story to end up in him becoming yet another Radiant or to redeem himself completely. Grey works just fine with me.

Moash acts as a wonderful foil for Kaladin. You're right. That might be why I like him so much. xD

I'm not really sure we've had a redemption arch in the cosmere (which interests me, maxal).

Spoiler

The closest is, maybe in the Mistborn novella, depending on if you see that character/story in that way or not.

For SA, I'm also unsure that Eshonai (who, I don't think should be blamed for her actions, given that she didn't have a lot of information, it seemed better for her to go than another, and she was, arguably tricked) or Szeth (who might just stay on the side of 'evil' and being used by others until the very end where he gets a smidgen of it in the end (when he does the right thing).

Hi ! First post on the 17thshard. Just went to the signing and asked a few questions. Hope this will help.

1/ Who is the woman on the "Voidbringer Chart" ? BACKLABELED.jpg

Brandon : Isaac did the art. It is just a pattern. She's no character in particular.

2/ KR seemed to have opposite gender spren. Why is Glys male then ? Is there something hidden there ?

Brandon : More naturally, the spren is opposite gender but it doesn't have to be. It's not a indication necessarily of homosexuality, but sometimes it is, sometimes it's not. More often, you'll attract spren of the opposite gender, but spren genders are very fluid anyway. You're not supposed to read anything specific into that.

3/ Question about the stormlight itself : a highstorm, full of stormlight, fills the spheres. Then, the KR use the stormlight or the stormlight evaporates with time. Question : where does the stormlight in highstorms come from ? Is there like a "rain cycle", but for the stormlight ?

Brandon : the stormlight in the highstorm is transferred from the Spiritual realm through the Stormfather into the highstorm.

4/ At the end of tWoK, in the last Dalinar's vision, he stands "in a place of smoke. He turned about, wary. The sky was dark and he stood on a field of dull, bone-white rock, jagged and rough, extending in all directions. Off into eternity". Is this place Damnation/Braize ?

Brandon : That will be explained in Oathbringer. So RAFO.

5/ Can you give us a hint on the madman identity, the man everyone think he's Taln ?

Brandon (with a big smile) : Everyone think he's Taln !

Hope that helps ! 

Hi everyone !

First time poster here (will make a post on myself later)

I also went to the signing in paris (first time i go to such event)

Iy was awesome and brandon is such a cheerful person.

I asked two questions (thoughnot as deep as those you posted and they were probably asked a long time ago anyway)

1) is he fascinated by gravity ?

Yes he finds incredible the capacity of mass to bend space and he loves gravity that's why it is everywhere (and it is awesome)

2) will Shai have a role in the next elantris books ?

Yes she will have a role in the future elantris books or at least a cameo in them if not (i assume taht we might see her ine one of the 2 books and a small cameo in the other one)

I hope that helps those were probably easy enough questions but hey thats how i am ^^

Thank you all for your feedbacks ! 

See you on the forum :)

15 hours ago, Kandra-in-disguise said:

Moash acts as a wonderful foil for Kaladin. You're right. That might be why I like him so much. xD

I'm not really sure we've had a redemption arch in the cosmere (which interests me, maxal).

Reveal hidden contents

The closest is, maybe in the Mistborn novella, depending on if you see that character/story in that way or not.

For SA, I'm also unsure that Eshonai (who, I don't think should be blamed for her actions, given that she didn't have a lot of information, it seemed better for her to go than another, and she was, arguably tricked) or Szeth (who might just stay on the side of 'evil' and being used by others until the very end where he gets a smidgen of it in the end (when he does the right thing).

Moash might end up being interesting depending on what the author does with him, He could serve as a viewpoint within the Diagramists other than Taravangian which should provide an interesting arc. What I hope not to see is yet another angry teenager who breaks his chains... It is one of my fear with SA, the duplication of similar story arcs. For instances, having Kaladin rescue his people, elevate himself above slavery through a heroic deed works quite well within the story, but have another character do it, than a third one and it looses its impact. It is how I ended feeling about Kaladin always saving the day at the last possible moment: do it once and it makes for a powerful read, do it twice, do it thrice and do it yet again, you start to alienate some readers.

It is why I feel redemption arcs should be used carefully. Szeth may not redeem himself but since he has been confirmed (or almost) as a Skybreaker and a Radiant, than redemption certainly is coming his way. Eshonai might have been possessed by an evil entity, she remains one of our main antagonist. Her redemption however might be the only one I am completely fine with as I do think it fits with the character and the rational to make it acceptable exists. Elhokar is not needed as a redemption story, IMHO, the same with Moash. It could happen, it could plausibly happen, but I would personally prefer if not all characters ended finding a journey or a path towards the good...

This being said, the more I think about it, the more I am starting to think Moash will end up being the Part 2 novella character... which could also make him the second Windrunner. Huh, not sure how I like it, I'll have to read it to be convinced. What happened to good characters who go bad and stay bad? Not because they are evil, but because they don't agree with the good guys goals.

3 hours ago, Narkac said:

2/ KR seemed to have opposite gender spren. Why is Glys male then ? Is there something hidden there ?

Brandon : More naturally, the spren is opposite gender but it doesn't have to be. It's not a indication necessarily of homosexuality, but sometimes it is, sometimes it's not. More often, you'll attract spren of the opposite gender, but spren genders are very fluid anyway. You're not supposed to read anything specific into that.

I am glad for this one because it puts a nail into the coffin of a highly prevalent theory. The fact Glys is male does not mean Renarin is homosexual. It does not mean he isn't. It simply isn't a clue to be used to determine any given character's sexuality. it isn't related. Good. 

59 minutes ago, maxal said:

Moash might end up being interesting depending on what the author does with him, He could serve as a viewpoint within the Diagramists other than Taravangian which should provide an interesting arc. What I hope not to see is yet another angry teenager who breaks his chains... It is one of my fear with SA, the duplication of similar story arcs. For instances, having Kaladin rescue his people, elevate himself above slavery through a heroic deed works quite well within the story, but have another character do it, than a third one and it looses its impact. It is how I ended feeling about Kaladin always saving the day at the last possible moment: do it once and it makes for a powerful read, do it twice, do it thrice and do it yet again, you start to alienate some readers.

It is why I feel redemption arcs should be used carefully. Szeth may not redeem himself but since he has been confirmed (or almost) as a Skybreaker and a Radiant, than redemption certainly is coming his way. Eshonai might have been possessed by an evil entity, she remains one of our main antagonist. Her redemption however might be the only one I am completely fine with as I do think it fits with the character and the rational to make it acceptable exists. Elhokar is not needed as a redemption story, IMHO, the same with Moash. It could happen, it could plausibly happen, but I would personally prefer if not all characters ended finding a journey or a path towards the good...

Yes, I feel the same way a bit, it might be why I prefer MB over SA at this point...

I hope, though, that not all Knights end up being 'redeemed' or even 'good', anyways. Some of the orders seem more morally ambiguous than others, even ones like Lightweavers (I could see some interesting characters fit into it; not all of whom are nice) and Skybreaker (which is lawful, but not necessarily lawful-good). 

This being said, the more I think about it, the more I am starting to think Moash will end up being the Part 2 novella character... which could also make him the second Windrunner. Huh, not sure how I like it, I'll have to read it to be convinced. What happened to good characters who go bad and stay bad? Not because they are evil, but because they don't agree with the good guys goals.

I think he's going to be the Interlude novella character, while the Part 2 one will be our new Windrunner if said Windrunner is a POV character at all. So, considering the direction that Eshonai went in the Interludes in WoR, he might be fine (I mean, certain that he's doing the right thing despite that it doesn't align with what others think is the right thing, too).

Yay for more Shai in the future! 

Thank you all for your questions. A couple are repeats (remember kids, always post your questions online prior to signings, so those who have no lives beyond Brandon can fact-check you! :) ), but I think they are overall better than I was afraid they would be. Good job, Frenchies! :P

19 hours ago, Aleesha said:

2) will Shai have a role in the next elantris books ?

Yes she will have a role in the future elantris books or at least a cameo in them if not (i assume taht we might see her ine one of the 2 books and a small cameo in the other one)

Nights! This made my day!!! Thanks so much for asking this. I become more excited about Elantris sequels now =)

On 10/24/2016 at 9:10 AM, Kandra-in-disguise said:

Yes, I feel the same way a bit, it might be why I prefer MB over SA at this point...

I hope, though, that not all Knights end up being 'redeemed' or even 'good', anyways. Some of the orders seem more morally ambiguous than others, even ones like Lightweavers (I could see some interesting characters fit into it; not all of whom are nice) and Skybreaker (which is lawful, but not necessarily lawful-good). 

I think he's going to be the Interlude novella character, while the Part 2 one will be our new Windrunner if said Windrunner is a POV character at all. So, considering the direction that Eshonai went in the Interludes in WoR, he might be fine (I mean, certain that he's doing the right thing despite that it doesn't align with what others think is the right thing, too).

I was actually contemplating whether or not Moash could end up as a Skybreaker. He definitely knows that what Elhokar did was petty and wrong. The problem I see with the Skybreakers is whose law do they follow. Do they follow the Almighty's divine law or are they bound to the country they're from. 

1 hour ago, theuntaintedchild said:

I was actually contemplating whether or not Moash could end up as a Skybreaker. He definitely knows that what Elhokar did was petty and wrong. The problem I see with the Skybreakers is whose law do they follow. Do they follow the Almighty's divine law or are they bound to the country they're from. 

I think they can also follow the law of the  country that they're in, as well, there's different ways to view which law one is bound to, your country's or the location you're in... But, in Szeth's case, it seems to be his people's laws. I think, for others, though, the oath's could be seen differently depending on how they see the law itself...

On 2016/10/23 at 10:08 PM, Botanica said:

Question: When writing Stormlight, did you get any inspirations from the Chinese Confucian system? The Azish government really reminds me of that.

Brandon: So... Yes. Um... Chinese. 新年快乐? This is my only Chinese. [It means] Happy new year. So yes. Living in Korea for several years, I became very interested in the Confucian system. When I returned back from Korea, I studied in college about Chinese history and I found it fascinating. So the Azish are partially inspired by the Chinese Confucian system.

Question: Also a weird question, has Hoid ever had a romantic interest?

Brandon: Hoid has had romantic interest in the past.

Question: Do you have any further plans about Moash? Will he have more screen time in Stormlight 3?

Brandon: I have big plans for Moash, and he will actually have viewpoints in Stormlight 3. So good question!

Question: So WoR mentions a particularly bright star known as the Tear (a reference to a tear shed by somebody named Reya) is that "star" actually one of the other planets in the greater roshar system, if so is it Ashyn or Braize?

Brandon: RAFO.

Here are the subtitled videos:

问题1-2.mp4

问题3&4.mp4

• 2 weeks later...
On 27/10/2016 at 11:33 PM, WeiryWriter said:

I also found the following video with a couple questions in it. Nothing really new though:

Hy WeiryWriter, that was our group, that went to the signing (I'm the one asking the second question :) ), this video was meant for the members of our Wheel of Time based-forum (La Pierre de Tear) , so indeed, we filmed nothing about the Cosmere. There is another video on the facebook page of the library with further questions to the author. But I don't remember any spoilery question.

However, I also asked a question about WoR. But I don't have audio sorry... At the time, I didn't understoood that Pattern was never trapped in the safe for more than minutes and asked the following :

(paraphrased)

I wondered about Shallan's eidetic memory, and about the possibility of trapping a spren. Could a bonded spren be trapped inside a gemstone and trapped in a safe ? If so, would something else - not Investiture related - fill the "crack in the soul" ? Could that be linked to her memory or her need to draw before Lightweaving ?

In and about, he answered that what Shallan does isn't out of the ordinary (which I'm not certain, she shouldn't have to draw before Surgebinding, as she has done before. And does again in Ch. 88. Maybe it is Ideal-based ?), and it is possible to trap a bonded spren inside a gemstone.

Aside from that I got a R.A.F.O. card.

It was my first signing and I shall say it is a bit intimidating :) he is however a nice person. I wished I could have asked more questions...