Soulstone as Splinters

I just finished rereading TES and Shai mentioned the MaiPon people worshipped "rocks that fell from the sky at night.The souls of broken gods, those chunks had been called." That sounds an awful lot like a splinter of a shattered Shard. Have we gotten confirmation of this (I haven't seen them mentioned as splinters on the Coppermind) and if so, which Shard they belong to, Devotion or Domination? I would assume Devotion since Forgery demands that someone become devoted to learning the true history of the piece they're forging.

That doesn't quite track with what we know of Splinters IMO.

Generally, Splinters are very strong physically (if they have a Physical presence) and resist being broken further (Eg: Shardblade). Soulstone, however, is fairly soft and can be broken (carved) with relative ease.

If it's directly related to the Splintering, I suspect that Soulstone is part of a regular asteroid that was nearby when Devotion was Splintered, so it absorbed a decent chunk of Investiture and/or had it's atomic structure changed by a radiation burst, but it isn't a Splinter directly.

It could also be part of the physical body of either Devotion or Dominion, like a god metal. There may be WoB on this but I haven't seen one. 

It could be Devotion related, but it could also be Dominion, since you're essentially forcing your will and your interpretation on another object via Forging. It could also be the "Feruchemy" of Sel, a balance of both. You devote yourself to the history of a thing in order to gain dominion over it. 

It could be Devotion related, but it could also be Dominion, since you're essentially forcing your will and your interpretation on another object via Forging. It could also be the "Feruchemy" of Sel, a balance of both. You devote yourself to the history of a thing in order to gain dominion over it.

The Shards are responsible for the way magic is accessed, not the power itself. So the fact that Forgery forces your will/interpretation on object has nothing to do with Dominion or Devotion.

As for Sel, we know the entire planet is one system (balance magic, I guess, would be the terminology?):

Windrunner17 ()

Why does Scadrial, which has two Shards, only have three manifestations of investiture, (Allomancy, Feruchemy, and Hemalurgy) but Sel, also with two Shards, has five manifestations of investiture (AonDor, Dakhor, ChayShan, Forgery, and Bloodsealing)?

Brandon Sanderson

Sel's magics are much more regionalized than Scadrial's. Each area has its own manifestation, but they're all actually the same magic. So really there is one magic on Sel—much as Windrunning and Lightweaving on Roshar are kind of different magics, but also kind of the same.

(source)

For my own guess, I find Dominion to be found in the way Investiture is programmed on Sel. You're giving it instructions on how exactly to work. I haven't got a clue on how Devotion is involved for non-AonDor systems.

• Chaos locked this topic