Third Mistborn Era

DiscoDubber

So I was just looking at Brandon's website and saw his aging update from last December. He says he plans a total of 4 of these shorter 1890s era books, then he's thinking about a trilogy of longer books placed either in a 1980s tech world or maybe a 1940s age.

Personally, I kinda like the sound of a 1940s age a bit better, plus it fits well in the "natural" progression of technology. If one thinks about it, technology didn't really make any big leaps in Europe and America during the 16 and 1700s. Society was still based in an Imperial feudal system, one moved around on foot, carried by porters, on horses, in horse drawn vehicles, or by ship, all of which barely changed in the grand scheme.

By the American Civil War in the mid-1800s, technology was beginning to move, especially and as always on the military front, with firearms developing rather quickly from powder-and-ball flintlock types to modern bullet rounds and from single shot to semi-automatic and Gatling machine guns.

The civilian markets boomed at the tail end of the 1800s with the industrial revolution. Incandescent lights, automobiles, telegraphs... I love the Nikola Tesla analogy in SoS.

For our world, the next boom in technological growth came in the 1930s and 40s, during and because of WWII, ending the Industrial Age and beginning the Atomic Age.

I think it would only make sense for Scadrial to follow the same development path, and so maybe the next Mistborn Era should be an Atomic Age rather than skipping all the way to the dawn of an Information Age.

Mistborn era 2, book 4 is tentatively being titled The Lost Metal so maybe Atium could cause a social strain that culminates into Scadrial's version of a World War...

What do you think?

I honestly like the 1980's better.  The 1800's gunslinger Wax timeframe has cars coming out,  guns being popular, trains connecting the world.  

The 1940's ish era did bring on nuclear power and the bomb.  With the eventual construction of nuclear power plants.  But other than the fear of atomic warfare this didn't effect most people.  (An argument could be made for planes)  The advance into the atomic age was one made by governments and foreign policy makers.  The common people lead their lives mostly as before.

However the 1980's are when the microprocessor started getting small enough for home use and cheap enough for home use.  This had an effect on everyone.  There is no one that wasn't effected,  except maybe a hermit living in the hills.  

To clarify, the 1980's tech levels books are fairly definite; it was part of his initial plan for the mistborn series: three trilogies for past, present and future.  He was thinking about the 1940's as a possibility to add in between like he did with Wax and Wayne, since he can't do the 1980's books until he writes three more Stormlight books and two more Elantris books, which might take a while.  He's also been talking more about his plans for the modernish trilogy lately.

I don't know how the fourties would fit into the overall storyline.  If he did do it I might like it on the Southern Continent, and maybe just one or two books.

I honestly like the 1980's better.  The 1800's gunslinger Wax timeframe has cars coming out,  guns being popular, trains connecting the world.  

The 1940's ish era did bring on nuclear power and the bomb.  With the eventual construction of nuclear power plants.  But other than the fear of atomic warfare this didn't effect most people.  (An argument could be made for planes)  The advance into the atomic age was one made by governments and foreign policy makers.  The common people lead their lives mostly as before.

However the 1980's are when the microprocessor started getting small enough for home use and cheap enough for home use.  This had an effect on everyone.  There is no one that wasn't effected,  except maybe a hermit living in the hills.  

This is all true... I suppose that the jump in "lifestyle altering" technology in the 80s was about as dramatic as it was in the late 19th century. Computers, entertainment, fashion, communication... everything changed in the 80s. So I definitely see what you mean, and may even agree that it would be better. 

Aside from an Art Deco/ Neo-Gothic look and taller buildings, not much from Elendel will likely have changed dramatically. Cars are probably bigger and sleeker and have completely replaced horses. While electricity is everywhere, every business establishment has blazing neon signage, and street lamps are placed every 20 feet, somehow the streets are darker... Fashion has changed. I'm thinking 40s Chicago. Always damp, dark, and foggy, always in black & white.

But it the 40s are monochrome, then the 80s are fluorescent. PCs, Walkmans, Camcorders, Atari, Nintendo, MTV, "The Brick" cellular phone. Lifestyles took on different motivations. Cars, for example, which had been (at least in America) designed and consumed for large size, high comfort, and status, were now being designed and consumed for high efficiency and low cost. Fashion and music were reeling in rebellion of the Disco era. And society was reeling in rebellion, too.

I think both eras have merit. Its a good question, no?

To clarify, the 1980's tech levels books are fairly definite; it was part of his initial plan for the mistborn series: three trilogies for past, present and future.  He was thinking about the 1940's as a possibility to add in between like he did with Wax and Wayne, since he can't do the 1980's books until he writes three more Stormlight books and two more Elantris books, which might take a while.  He's also been talking more about his plans for the modernish trilogy lately.

I don't know how the fourties would fit into the overall storyline.  If he did do it I might like it on the Southern Continent, and maybe just one or two books.

I see. I didn't get this post until after I submitted the last one. I like the idea of the 40s on the southern continent, before the 80s tech makes Scadrial smaller...

I'd really like to see Brandon do a side project of a mistborn set in modern times in between the 1980's and the Space Opera. I'm actually trying to start an RP like that so go check it out! It's in world building and character development stage at the mo and I don't know if it will get anywhere but hooray!! This is a shameless plug!!! Please go do my RP!

Honestly please I'm so lonely I have no one to hold

Edited by MrMistborn

If the character he's talking about for Era 3 (the woman who is a computer expert getting brought into a spy agency) is what he ends up running with, it would definitely help for it to be analogous to the 1980s or so, as computer miniaturization starts getting practical in the 1980s and it would make for a more dynamic story.1940s computers are huuuuuge and often programmed by hardware, so your computer expert would have to be building a machine to break codes or something similar, and it wouldn't have any flexibility.

If the character he's talking about for Era 3 (the woman who is a computer expert getting brought into a spy agency) is what he ends up running with, it would definitely help for it to be analogous to the 1980s or so, as computer miniaturization starts getting practical in the 1980s and it would make for a more dynamic story.1940s computers are huuuuuge and often programmed by hardware, so your computer expert would have to be building a machine to break codes or something similar, and it wouldn't have any flexibility.

Yeah for those unfamiliar with early computers this is an interesting story to me anyways.

The term "bug" was used in an account by computer pioneer Grace Hopper, who publicized the cause of a malfunction in an early electromechanical computer.[7] A typical version of the story is given by this quote:[8]

In 1946, when Hopper was released from active duty, she joined the Harvard Faculty at the Computation Laboratory where she continued her work on the Mark II and Mark III. Operators traced an error in the Mark II to a moth trapped in a relay, coining the term bug. This bug was carefully removed and taped to the log book. Stemming from the first bug, today we call errors or glitches in a program a bug.

And this is a picture of the log book.

http://thenextweb.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/1/files/2013/09/bug.jpg

I see. I didn't get this post until after I submitted the last one. I like the idea of the 40s on the southern continent, before the 80s tech makes Scadrial smaller...

unless the 40's or 80's stuff involves a war between Elendel and the other continent. :0

• Chaos locked this topic