Theory: Devotion, Dominion, and Convergence

Chaos

Wow, that was really interesting to read.  Is this another theory from the mysterious Shardkeeper's podcast?  If so, I can't wait to listen.

I'm interested to know what kind of impact this would have on my adonalsium can't be put back together theory.  I'll have to give it some thought.

Great read chaos.  Makes perfect sense.

About Harmony, could Ruin and Preservations' combination also have something to do with belief/faith/religion.  I was under the impression that this was part of the reason that Kelsier was able to hang around after his death.  Obviously having one mind holding two Shards makes them closer together, but could that relationship be sped up or strengthened by people's belief in the particular form of the Shard making Harmony into a new entity combined of both Ruin and Preservation?

...could that relationship be sped up or strengthened by people's belief in the particular form of the Shard making Harmony into a new entity combined of both Ruin and Preservation?

Theoretically, yes. A lot of Identity that's talked about in Emperor's Soul has to do with how one perceives oneself, but there's nothing to say the only influence in play here is the self. How others see us can also be a very important part of our identity, so I have no problem saying it might be part of our Identity as well.

RE: Dakhor magic and Dominion - despite the fact that we used the Dakhor monks to guess Dominion's name, I don't think it's so difficult to imagine that their magic is of both. They are fiercely dedicated (devotion) to their particular Dominion (their god and their faith). None of that invalidates anything you've said, of course; I just wanted to put that out there.

RE: My theory and yours working of each other - According for my theory to work, the regional magics would have to have existed before the Splintering, and from what I've read, that seems to be the case. However, as I said later on in the other thread, Brandon specifically states that something about the magics works differently after the Splintering, so perhaps the convergence of the two powers is causing for greater interplay between Devotion and Dominion - resulting in, well, we're not sure what. More strict region-locking on the magics, perhaps?

Good theory. I like it. :D

I don't know that I agree, though I like the thought put into it. My impression has been that Ruin and Preservation are combining not because the Shards themselves are intermingling their Identity, but because Sazed is. Shards in and of themselves do not have a Cognitive presence, it seems to me. I always look at how the mists reacted without Leras to guide them for an example.

I suppose the tripping point for me is that if there is no mind controlling Dominion and Devotion, what would be the Cognitive factor pushing them together? The collected belief of the people of Sel? I don't necessarily believe that Shards will mingle without some kind of mind perceiving them them as a whole.

I don't know that I agree, though I like the thought put into it. My impression has been that Ruin and Preservation are combining not because the Shards themselves are intermingling their Identity, but because Sazed is. Shards in and of themselves do not have a Cognitive presence, it seems to me. I always look at how the mists reacted without Leras to guide them for an example.

Well, splinters have a blend of cognitive and spiritual presence. I don't see why a shard would be any different

http://www.reddit.com/r/Fantasy/comments/1ced7z/iamstilla_novelist_named_brandon_sanderson_ama/c9fs9lp?context=3

Are Splinters primarily Spiritual?

2) Less physical. More a blend of the other two.

Wow, that was really interesting to read.  Is this another theory from the mysterious Shardkeeper's podcast?  If so, I can't wait to listen.

Yes, it is! :) When you listen to the podcast you can see we said them in quick succession. They are very complementary.

I do intend to have this edited very soon and posted tonight or tomorrow.

Parts of your theory sound exactly like my theory about Sazed's successful convergence of his two Shards into one, so I think this theory is very plausible.

I owe a great intellectual debt to that entire discussion for giving me this idea about the Dor in the first place. This long wordy thing is basically me just wanting to describe why Devotion and Dominion could have converged, haha.

I think that's a bit of a stretch given the quote. It could easily be read as "accessing the Dor is very regionally influenced".

Fair, but fortunately my conclusions work with that idea too. In fact I think that was rolling in my head too, as judging by this sentence:

When something changes in the Physical and Cognitive, this can have a reflection in the Dor, so these distinct cultural Identities have an effect on the Dor.

So, sure, the Dor is very regionally influenced too.

I also feel that in order to merge, a fragment must be guided by an intellect, but I don't see good evidence requiring it. Just a gut feeling that a shard without intellect doesn't do much.

That being said, very solid theory and internally consistent. I absolutely love the Vase analogy and the grey sand product. 

Well, splinters have a blend of cognitive and spiritual presence. I don't see why a shard would be any different

Splinters also have personalities. Until we know exactly what the Seons and Skaze are, it's hard to use them as examples of what Shards are like without a Shardholder.

Splinters also have personalities. Until we know exactly what the Seons and Skaze are, it's hard to use them as examples of what Shards are like without a Shardholder.

The divine Breath aren't sentient on their own, though, and those are definitely Splinters.

The divine Breath aren't sentient on their own, though, and those are definitely Splinters.

They are actually a better guide to how Splinters act, I think. Divine Breaths seem primarily Spiritual, with maybe just enough Cognitive to allow visions of the future. Unfortunately because there are no other Shards around Endowment, we can't see how they would mingle with other powers. Also according to this theory, shouldn't the Skaze and Seons start to merge after some time?

You mention how Sazed is a controlling entity, intermingling the shards.

http://coppermind.net/wiki/Shu-Keseg

Maybe Keshu managed to do something similar as well.

This is an interesting idea. I really like how it goes on to talk about this:

After Keshu died Korath and Dereth disagreed about how to achieve this unity. Korath thought that mankind should be united through love, whereas Derethi believed mankind should united through obediance by the rule of a single "Holy" government. This disagreement caused the schism in Shu-Keseg.

That sounds a LOT like Korath and Dereth were being influenced by each Shard's intent....

Thanks. I'll spin a possible scenario, for, back then, Dominion and Devotion were very good friends, lovers perhaps, and they were planning to merge. They encouraged Keshu to spread the word of unity. This cognitive effect partially merged the power of the shards. Did they see themselves as one and encourage Keshu, or did Keshu see them as one and cause them to fall in love? What is the difference? Anyway, it happened, the Dor formed, a union of their power. Odium was worried they would combine and so did whatever to splinter them. Perhaps he encouraged Korath and Dereth to support their shards (an entirely reasonable and moral action) which perhaps would make it easier to splinter them. This encouraged the Shards to fight as their followers started to fight.

Dominion and Devotion merged in unfortunate ways and fought. They were splintered by Odium.

Due to the splintering and the partial merging they are not easy to reconstitute. Only if all of mankind forgets about Devotion (or vice versa with Dominion) and the shards are allowed to full separate can they be reconstituted. "Then, with all mankind united under Wyrn's rule, Jaddeth could rise from His throne beneath the earth and reign in glorious majesty."

Or at least, that is one way to do it.

Edited by Nepene

They are actually a better guide to how Splinters act, I think. Divine Breaths seem primarily Spiritual, with maybe just enough Cognitive to allow visions of the future. Unfortunately because there are no other Shards around Endowment, we can't see how they would mingle with other powers. Also according to this theory, shouldn't the Skaze and Seons start to merge after some time?

Divine Breaths seem mostly Cognitive to me. At least, when Endowed they bestow primarily Cognitive additions and abilities.

This makes me wonder about the nature of the Dor.  On Scadrial (if I am remembering correctly) Preservation is split up into a cognitive/spritual aspect (the mist spirit), and the physical manifestation of the power of Preservation, found in liquid, solid, and gaseous form in the well, lerasium, and the mists, respectively.

If the Aons at the heart of Seons are splinters of the cognitive/spiritual aspects of Devotion (and a something similar is happening with the Skaze for Dominion), then what about the physical aspects of both?

I think the physical aspects of both shards are what are merging to form the Dor. 

If you look at how the Dor is utilized, it seems to be channeled in a very similar way to how Vin absorbs the mists or the power of the well (especially in the case of AonDor and Dakhor), only with symbols being conduits of power, instead of the practitioner's body.

Here's a quote from the coppermind, since I don't have my copy of Elantris with me:

In the Jesker, a religion practiced by many Dulas, the Dor is the overspirit, an unseen energy that permeates the world. They believe that Dor is a force that controls the world. Those who follow the Jesker think that the Dor leads those who understand it towards harmony.[3] It also keeps balance in the natural world. The followers of Jeskeri think that the Dor provides the motivation for all events in nature. It is responsible for everything from water "wanting" to flow downhill to teaching captive young birds how to fly.[4] The Jeskeri Mysteries, a splinter group, look at the Dor in a slightly different way. Instead of a simple passive energy, they see the Dor as fate. The people who follow the Mysteries perform rituals to try to harness the Dor, instead of trying to become in harmony with it like regular followers of the Jesker. They try to invoke it to bring good or bad luck on other people. How the followers of the Jesker became aware of the Dor's presence is still unknown.

If we look at the Jesker perspective on the Dor, we can see how inherently physical it is.  Also note how they veiew it as a sort of "overspirit" or "unseen energy" that permeates the world.  Sounds very Shardic to me.  

Anyways, basically what I'm trying to say is that the Dor seems to be a convergence of the physical aspects of Devotion and Dominion's power (perhaps similar to what would happen if an Atium/Lerasium alloy were to be made).  However, this mingled power is cut off from the spiritual and cognitive aspects of the original shards, and thus is, perhaps also cut off from it's intent?  That would explain why the Dor looks to regional based magic systems to "reconnect" with its intent.  With AonDor, currently the most thoroughly explained of Sel's magic systems, the Dor is given a purpose or intent by the Aons.  Without the aons, it is a mindless force, incapable of doing anything, and it's desire to reconnect with an intent of some kind is what causes it to attack Raoden.

Why the door was so affected by the crippling of AonDor, despite the existence of other magic systems is an interesting question, that needs pondering if this line of thought is to continue.

Now, onto how this replies to religions.

This is an interesting idea. I really like how it goes on to talk about this:

That sounds a LOT like Korath and Dereth were being influenced by each Shard's intent....

Thanks. I'll spin a possible scenario, for, back then, Dominion and Devotion were very good friends, lovers perhaps, and they were planning to merge. They encouraged Keshu to spread the word of unity. This cognitive effect partially merged the power of the shards. Did they see themselves as one and encourage Keshu, or did Keshu see them as one and cause them to fall in love? What is the difference? Anyway, it happened, the Dor formed, a union of their power. Odium was worried they would combine and so did whatever to splinter them. Perhaps he encouraged Korath and Dereth to support their shards (an entirely reasonable and moral action) which perhaps would make it easier to splinter them. This encouraged the Shards to fight as their followers started to fight.

Dominion and Devotion merged in unfortunate ways and fought. They were splintered by Odium.

Due to the splintering and the partial merging they are not easy to reconstitute. Only if all of mankind forgets about Devotion (or vice versa with Dominion) and the shards are allowed to full separate can they be reconstituted. "Then, with all mankind united under Wyrn's rule, Jaddeth could rise from His throne beneath the earth and reign in glorious majesty."

If we look at Shu-Korath and Shu-Dereth as being religious interpretations of each shard's intent, and Jesker, perhaps, as the following or interpretation of the Shards physical aspect, then perhaps Shu-Keseg is interested in the Shard's unification?  Perhaps Shu-Keseg is what drew Odium to Sel in the first place...

Also, we know that Preservation and Ruin combined to form Harmony.  I'm willing to bet that the combination of Dominion and Devotion would have been Unity.

Anyways, just some idle thoughts provoked by what I read here.  This is a REALLY great theory, and says a lot about how the Dor works on Sel.  Also I really liked your theory as well KChan, but I probably won't reply to both, since my concerns were more about the convergence of the shards, than about the regional elements of Sel's magics.

I wonder if choosing a champion is part of how Odium Splinters a Shard? If for example Devotion and Dominion chose sides, not necessarily against each other, but supported Dereth and Korath with some of their power to make their points... 

Divine Breaths seem mostly Cognitive to me. At least, when Endowed they bestow primarily Cognitive additions and abilities.

How so? Lightsong provides a lot of proof that their Cognitive aspects aren't much changed from when they were normal people. A lot of the Heightenings seem to mimic traditionally divine abilities. Seeing the future is almost definitely Spiritual in nature, to my mind. Perfect pitch and color sense could very well just becoming attuned to the world, or to Endowment in particular. Most important to me though is their ability to heal, which I feel depends a lot upon Spiritual instead of Cognitive aspects in the specific manner they do it. It's worth noting that the main difference between a Returned and someone of the Fifth Heightening is both the precogntive dreams and the ability to heal someone. Both seem primarly Spiritual to me.

If we look at Shu-Korath and Shu-Dereth as being religious interpretations of each shard's intent, and Jesker, perhaps, as the following or interpretation of the Shards physical aspect, then perhaps Shu-Keseg is interested in the Shard's unification?  Perhaps Shu-Keseg is what drew Odium to Sel in the first place...

Also, we know that Preservation and Ruin combined to form Harmony.  I'm willing to bet that the combination of Dominion and Devotion would have been Unity.

Anyways, just some idle thoughts provoked by what I read here.  This is a REALLY great theory, and says a lot about how the Dor works on Sel.  Also I really liked your theory as well KChan, but I probably won't reply to both, since my concerns were more about the convergence of the shards, than about the regional elements of Sel's magics.

Yeah. That does sound likely. I know Brandon loves to show the gods influencing the worlds. He may have done the reverse as well- religion influencing the gods, enough to scare Odium.

Unity sounds pretty good.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_unity_government

It sounds like the sort of word that would go well with Dominion or Devotion. A powerful government working in unity to deal with a common threat, devoted enough to the safety of the people to put aside their differences. The ultimate government. One that leads, but is devoted to its people.

It's sorta like what Raoden did. He managed to convince each of the gangs to work with him for a common good. He dominated them by appealing to their love of things and showing good leadership. Though he was somewhat light on the domination.

Some relevant quotes from Hrathen on unity.

"Eventually. Right now, we will use them. You will find that hate can unify

people more quickly and more fervently than devotion ever could."

"My faith is in Jaddeth. a God who wants the devotion of men. A massacre does

not serve Him."

From others.

Shuden's face darkened slightly, eyeing the gyorn. "I wonder what the great

master thought when his two students, Korath and Dereth, left to preach to the

lands northward. Keseg taught of unity. But what did he mean? Unity of mind,

as my people assume? Unity of love, as your priests claim? Or is it the unity

of obedience. as the Derethi believe? In the end, I am left to ponder how

mankind managed to complicate such a simple concept."

Maybe someone like Hrathen could take up both shards, as Sazed did, since he seems to have sympathy for devotion and dominion? We may well see people behave in the next book in such a way that some do things that allow them to better atune to their Shard.

Raoden went in the pool of what was probably Devotion, and acted very devoted. He could probably attune to that Shard, though he may face the same problem that Wyrn would hypothetically face with attuning with Dominion that because the shards are melded and Wyrn isn't loving he cannot fully take them up.

Edited by Nepene

While I was writing about this theory over on my Adonalsium theory I realized why the fragments of Devotion and Dominion would combine even without a mind forcing them too.  You attributed it to them both lacking a holder and being broken.  I think it is because not only are they fragments of Devotion and Dominion respectively, they are also fragments of Adonalsium so they would "remember" being together in the distant past.