Chicago 02/20/2015

WeiryWriter

Thanks guys!  Depending on how much other stuff I can get done this weekend I may be able to transcribe stuff soon-ish (as I'm writing this Kurk just posted his, so that's a little less I'd have to do... Woo!).

Brandon imitating people (such as us getting new readings and Peter "You'll microwave people") is hilarious.

On the Stormlight game, I saw a mention on tumblr that Brandon mentioned a boardgame at the event in Taiwan (unfortunately the link the comment was referring to doesn't work so I wasn't able to find out more--not that the original article would have helped much being in chinese...) ANYWAYS this sounds super exciting!

Nice to get confirmation on the Jim Butcher/Obliteration thing, someone asked him at one the Seattle signings and he was frustratingly cagey (it's like 99% confirmation but there's just that bit of doubt).

Thanks guys!  Depending on how much other stuff I can get done this weekend I may be able to transcribe stuff soon-ish (as I'm writing this Kurk just posted his, so that's a little less I'd have to do... Woo!).

Just a note that I haven't gone through all of this a second time just listening to it to make sure I caught everything. This was more "write down the words, check the words when I thought I might have written something wrong", so you'll almost certainly want to at least give my portions a listen while reading through my transcript before you set everything in stone.

Just a note that I haven't gone through all of this a second time just listening to it to make sure I caught everything. This was more "write down the words, check the words when I thought I might have written something wrong", so you'll almost certainly want to at least give my portions a listen while reading through my transcript before you set everything in stone.

Oh I'd be doing that anyway, but it still a little bit easier to proof a transcript than transcribe from scratch.

@Weiry

Okay, cool. Just wanted to double check; and thanks again for being the transcription-master. :)

Thinking with portals lol. I admit the minutia of Mistborn questions always bores me in signing reports but this stuff was pretty fascinating.

Funny you should say that about Mistborn minutia being boring... :/

I made a few attempts to entice others who were like "I don't have any cool questions" by being all "ask some of my cool questions!" until I realized that, when I went to find any of my questions that would interesting to someone that wasn't me, there were like four of them total on the entire list. And I think at least half of those I stole from other Sharders.  :unsure:

Wow, thanks a bunch Kurk. Argent had me thinking there'd be very little... and that's only what you asked? I'm very eager for a transcription of Argent's now.

-The thing with intent having your mind reach into the Spiritual was very interesting and makes a previously seemingly vague process (the heck is 'intent' supposed to do???) make much more sense to me. This also gives me more confidence in my model of Allomancy.

-Healing soul wounds is very interesting with this 'scar' business. I am afraid I must demand Kaladin bow down to the whims of Science and submit for more testing of what happens from repeated cutting of his soul.

-The stuff with taking in someone else's Awakenings/metalminds fits very well with my previous thoughts on the matter (extending the mechanic, it should be possible to breathe in the Stormlight from someone else's Surgebindings too!), it's a very cool feeling to have theories sorta backed up.

-I get the feeling this doesn't confirm FTL since Brandon's been so adamant that we don't have the info needed to figure it out, but maybe. The theory certainly makes sense.

Wow, thanks a bunch Kurk. Argent had me thinking there'd be very little... and that's only what you asked?

It is possible that my idea about what constitutes "a few" questions asked may be a little skewed... I felt the same way during the Words of Radiance tour, but the events I attended ended up being some of the beefiest in terms of number of questions asked. 

Probably the answer to how exactly it is that Lift turns Stormlight into Investiture. Turns out she actually metabolizes food into Investiture. So, your body, your digestive system, it takes food, it breaks it down, it breaks it down, it breaks it down, and the pretty much final product  (or one of them) is sucrose, I believe, which is a very basic sugar. Your body then uses those sucrose molecules in special ways to create energy molecules - ATP - which your cells use to do everything they do. Well, in Lift's case, she doesn't get sucrose (or, rather, she can choose not to get sucrose - she can effectively tell her body "don't turn this into sugar, turn it into awesomeness!") - she gets Investiture. The example he gave was, think bread and sausage. Bread metabolizes quickly - at least white bread does - which gives you a sugar spike; so Lift would be able to get a lot of Investiture quickly if she were eating bread. On the other hand, sausage metabolizes slowly, so she would be able to kind of keep a "slow burn" of Investiture with it for a longer period of time. 

Oh, also. Somebody asked about the Recreance and when it had happened. I remember that off the top of my head, so you don't need to wait for the transcript. Brandon doesn't know exactly, but it is closer to the present than it is to the Last Desolation. So the Heralds abandoned their oaths 4,500 years ago. The Recreance was no more than about 2,000 years ago - probably somewhere between 1,000 and 2,000 because when I asked Brandon "in the hundreds or in the thousands" he said definitely in the thousands. 

Oh, also. Somebody asked about the Recreance and when it had happened. I remember that off the top of my head, so you don't need to wait for the transcript. Brandon doesn't know exactly, but it is closer to the present than it is to the Last Desolation. So the Heralds abandoned their oaths 4,500 years ago. The Recreance was no more than about 2,000 years ago - probably somewhere between 1,000 and 2,000 because when I asked Brandon "in the hundreds or in the thousands" he said definitely in the thousands. 

Thanks!

Looks like my guess of 1500 years wasn't too bad.

I figured that the "modern" area followed on almost directly from the Recreance (I remember there being one or two hints in the text but it's hard to say how much to trust them). After the Recreance I figure there was a few hundred years of upheaval (including the modern Vorin split of male/female roles) before things stabilise and the modern calendar (year 0 of 1163) begins.

This also means there was approx 3000 years between the Last Desolation and the Recreance. So if you got a theory that Radiants by themselves can cause Desolations it has to be really really indirect...

Funny you should say that about Mistborn minutia being boring... :/

I made a few attempts to entice others who were like "I don't have any cool questions" by being all "ask some of my cool questions!" until I realized that, when I went to find any of my questions that would interesting to someone that wasn't me, there were like four of them total on the entire list. And I think at least half of those I stole from other Sharders.  :unsure:

Just for the record, I didn't mean my comment to be a slight against your questions, but rather a revelation for me. Cosmere-wise, I'm just not as...invested*...in Mistborn systems.

*couldn't think of a better word so just went with the pun.

Thanks!

Looks like my guess of 1500 years wasn't too bad.

I figured that the "modern" area followed on almost directly from the Recreance (I remember there being one or two hints in the text but it's hard to say how much to trust them). After the Recreance I figure there was a few hundred years of upheaval (including the modern Vorin split of male/female roles) before things stabilise and the modern calendar (year 0 of 1163) begins.

This also means there was approx 3000 years between the Last Desolation and the Recreance. So if you got a theory that Radiants by themselves can cause Desolations it has to be really really indirect...

RE: bolded.  Plus, the possibility that during the Heraldic Epochs, a Desolation could be as little as three-fiddy years between the end of the last and start of the next.  I'm referencing when Dalinar asks the Radiant woman the year and she says "Eighth Epoch, 337" if memory serves.  I took that to mean "337 years after the Heralds departed upon completion of the 8th known Desolation" (after the Silver Kingdoms were established).

Edited by dvoraen

Thinking in portals...that's...a really interesting way to put it...errr...errr...(the image I get here is from Portal 1 and 2; I don't think the metaphor works with that game in mind...now I'm imaging each different way to use investiture or switch it or whatever as a room gotten to with a portal gun...no, nope...nah.) >.>

Seriously though, these are awesome. I'm always amazed with the cool things you guys find out...:)

If anyone's been holding out, by the way, I don't feel possessive of my own questions - if you want to transcribe, go right ahead. I won't get a chance for at least another few days.

Also, @Nymp, Brandon's "now you are thinking with portals" was meant to be more like "now you are starting to think about the problem in the right light". I thought he said that. Maybe it's on the audio.

Edited by Argent

If anyone's been holding out, by the way, I don't feel possessive of my own questions - if you want to transcribe, go right ahead. I won't get a chance for at least another few days.

Also, @Nymp, Brandon's "now you are thinking with portals" was meant to be more like "now you are starting to think about the problem in the right light". I thought he said that. Maybe it's on the audio.

I went through and timestamped the signing line audio, I'll try and get that typed up soon-ish.  Anyway a lot of interesting stuff in there!

I've got it recorded as "Yes. In other words you're wrapping your head around the way that the magic system is working, so." And I don't think I cut anything off... Could you be sure to double-check me on this, Weiry? I don't have access to my recording at the moment.

P.S. Also, the main reason I tend to be a bit odd about getting my own questions is my mad hand gestures. The time bubble question from Philly would have made no sense whatsoever without a play-by-play of my pantomiming, so I've kind of got into a habit (very quick habit formation, it seems) of making sure I'm on hand to describe any relevant gestures.

I also made a "pushing" gesture when asking the iron/steel/emotional Allomancy through a time bubble question, but I deemed it unnecessary to record that, as the question and answer were clear enough.

Edited by Kurkistan

Probably the answer to how exactly it is that Lift turns Stormlight into Investiture. Turns out she actually metabolizes food into Investiture. So, your body, your digestive system, it takes food, it breaks it down, it breaks it down, it breaks it down, and the pretty much final product  (or one of them) is sucrose, I believe, which is a very basic sugar. Your body then uses those sucrose molecules in special ways to create energy molecules - ATP - which your cells use to do everything they do. Well, in Lift's case, she doesn't get sucrose (or, rather, she can choose not to get sucrose - she can effectively tell her body "don't turn this into sugar, turn it into awesomeness!") - she gets Investiture. The example he gave was, think bread and sausage. Bread metabolizes quickly - at least white bread does - which gives you a sugar spike; so Lift would be able to get a lot of Investiture quickly if she were eating bread. On the other hand, sausage metabolizes slowly, so she would be able to kind of keep a "slow burn" of Investiture with it for a longer period of time. 

Based on this explanation and what Wyndle says about Lift having low body fat (WOR p. 699, kindle version), it sounds to me like Lift is able to selectively convert glucose (not sucrose, see below) into awesomeness when the glucose is in her blood, assuming Rosharan anatomy and physiology are nearly the same as ours.

Catabolism (break down) of carbohydrates results in monosaccharides (simple sugars).  There are a lot of these, but the three most common in the human diet are glucose, fructose, and galactose.  Sucrose (the sugar you buy at the store) is actually a disaccharide (double sugar) of glucose and fructose.  These monosaccharides are easily absorbed via cotransport by the the adluminal cells of the small intestine, and facilitated diffusion allows their rapid movement into the blood.  In other words, when you eat something with a lot of sugar, it can move into your blood fairly quickly.

Sausage is mostly proteins (which break down into amino acids) and lipids, aka fats and oils (which break down into monoglycerides and fatty acid chains).  The amino acids also can move into the blood pretty quickly after digestion, but then it will take some time for cells to absorb them, convert them into glucose by enzymatic action, and release them back to the blood.  Hence, the increase in blood glucose is slower and more prolonged.

Lift wouldn't even need to eat to derive some investiture from the molecules currently in her body.  Catabolism of carbohydrates and metabolism of other types of molecules into glucose, would allow her to "eat" herself to generate investiture.  However, as noted by Wyndle, that would make her dangerously emaciated, and could lead to death if pushed too far.  Unless she had large muscle and fat deposits, it would only be useful for small amounts of awesomeness.  Thus, she has to derive most of her awesomeness by ingesting materials.

What I'm getting at is that Lift could get a massive surge in investiture more quickly if she used a syringe to inject a glucose solution directly into a blood vessel.  I'm not sure if Roshar has that technology, but they do seem pretty advanced in medicine.  Lift could carry around little vials of "Instant Awesomeness".

On the "thinking with portals" thing you have the gist of it, but I'll make sure to double check everything when I get to that point. BTW here's the google doc I've been working in.

Just so you know I've got my own copy of the audio, so just PM me or something if you're transcribing something and can't make it out.

-I neglected to turn my recording off during the "please don't post this answer" session of Argent's question session, and am not sure of my audio-editing skills (also I don't want to know whatever he asked/got answered), and so didn't post the audio online.

It's a web serial, like HPMOR, though I guess HPMOR falls under the fanfiction umbrella. The author's description sums up the concept pretty well:

It's quite the fun read, and the author is just finishing it up. The magic is very soft compared to what Sanderson writes and the story is much darker, so I'm not sure if most people who like Sanderson would like it. Wildbow writes his stories in one go, and they tend to need some editing, but for the most part they're great.

The author is also somewhat better-known for doing Worm, which is a rather interesting take on doing people with superpowers. The main character is a girl with the power to control bugs (which you'd think would be an awful power, but she makes it work) who wants to be a superhero. At some point it turns into epic fantasy but much more modern. Again, very dark. I find it better written than Pact, except that the first few chapters of Worm are kind of meh.

Would recommend both! And HPMOR obviously, except that HPMOR is extremely polarizing in that some people and love it and some people can't stand it and I suspect the latter group is much more numerous.

It's funny that this came up, since I just spent the last two weeks into reading Worm. (baader-meinhof phenomenon) I keep planning to revisit HPMOR someday, but not quite yet.  I need to catch up on other media and daily life for a little while before I decide to start Pact as well.

Also, time bubbles on a train would move with the train?  That's new, isn't it?  Or rather it's more like "a time bubble is not so much fixed to a location on the planet, but instead to what the Misting perceives as a fixed area around themself."

Also, time bubbles on a train would move with the train?  That's new, isn't it?  Or rather it's more like "a time bubble is not so much fixed to a location on the planet, but instead to what the Misting perceives as a fixed area around themself."

It is new. Contradicting our previous understanding of how it works, actually, and thus the tone of shock and surprise from me when Brandon said it.

Bubbles anchored by bond:

Q.Zas678- I’ve got a question kind of based off of the train fight. If you have a time bubble, and you were to make it while you are on the train, would the time bubble move with the train, or would it stay at the same spot relative to the planet?

A. Time bubbles don’t move, so it would pull you out of it, then it would vanish.

Q. (Mi’chelle)- If you were to pop up a time bubble and someone were to be stuck halfway in and halfway out, would they go splooch?

A. No, they would be in the time bubble. The time bubbles will move with the planet but not with the train.

Q. Yeah, I always thought it was relative to the person creating the time bubble.

A. No, you’ll see Wayne create one, then he’ll walk up to the perimeter, but if he leaves it, it ruins the time bubble.

Q. Zas678- So is that because it’s linked up to the spiritual gravitational bond between the planet?

A. Yes, and you’re digging very deeply into stuff that I now can’t answer. Time bubbles have some weirdness to them that I don’t want to dig in too deeply, but yes.

Charitable interpretations leave us to conclude that Brandon was talking about the long-term case in this older WoB, or assuming a bubble that was intersecting the ground where his new WoB/scenario assumes that it isn't or something.

---

Regardless, Brandon already told us how the bubble figures out what "still" is:

Brandon: Yes, but when you start catching stuff off of the train, it's gonna' _jar_ each time, and it's probably going to ruin your time bubble, right?

Kurkistan: So does it get it's "anchor" from- it's asking all the things that are within it what they think "still" is?

Brandon: Yes. That's a good way of looking at it. Frame of reference for the cognitive things around.

Kurkistan: Okay; the things around or the things within it, specifically?

Brandon: The things that it's cutting into, specifically, but yeah.

Edited by Kurkistan