Shadows of self plot?

RadiantNights

It's been a long time since I've tried following Shadows of Self information, but I think I remember Brandon saying that Alloy was intended to be a stand alone initially, but not it will turn into a trilogy of short stories involving the same characters. 

Until I find a source, don't take that as fact. 

EDIT: Yeah, it's Wax & Wayne. Here's some detail.

QUESTION

How do you buy a contract with a kandra in Alloy of Law time?

BRANDON SANDERSON
You don’t, good question. There’s two of them in Alloy of Law. Shadows of Self has quite a big part with a kandra.

FOOTNOTE
The two kandra in Alloy of Law were TenSoon as Constable Brettin in the end and MeLaan as the woman who gave Wax his Pathian earring.

INTERVIEW: Oct 14th, 2013 QUESTION
Will The Alloy of Law be a trilogy of its own or is it just going to be the one book you read from tonight?
BRANDON SANDERSON

Well, the 1st one was The Alloy of Law, the one I read from tonight is the sequel, so there's at least two. I signed a contract with, well, I haven'’t signed anything yet. I offered Tor two more beyond The Alloy of Law; so, Shadows of Self and one more. So, I have promised Tor three of them.

QUESTION

So, there could be more?

BRANDON SANDERSON

I have not plotted this one. It does not have the same sort of interconnected arc as the others. It could go further. I think I would cautiously most likely do three or four and stop and if I wanted more short books like that, I'd pick different characters in a different location.

Edited by Bloodfalcon

• 1 month later...

Thanks bloodfalcon for the tidbit about Constable Brettin. (upvote)

By the way SPOILER ALERT!

So...what do you think is going on with Miles Hundredlives screaming about men of red and gold bearing the final metal ruling everyone?  It seems that this must be the focus of what the Set is working toward...but...what the heck? 

-Now that Harmony has remade the world...are the pits once again producing Atium?  Is the well of ascension refilling?  What is Marsh doing back?  Since he is spiked (understatement) is he in constant communication with Harmony?

Again...what the heck? 

Edited by hoidhunter

I also do not think that has to do with the goals of the Set, given Miles seemed to be pretty set against them. He viewed them as only a means to his own ultimate end. He did tasks for him, they funded him, he would then ditch them to go do his thing. At least that's my thoughts on it.

I also do not think that has to do with the goals of the Set, given Miles seemed to be pretty set against them. He viewed them as only a means to his own ultimate end. He did tasks for him, they funded him, he would then ditch them to go do his thing. At least that's my thoughts on it.

True...he does indeed express some backstabbing intent in his internal monologue...(you just can't trust super villains) 

On a different note: Begin Wild Conjecture

Breeding allomancers from unwilling women is not only horrible...it is incredibly time consuming.  You have to wait 9 months after conception...then you have to raise a kid all brainwashy to do your bidding...you don't even know for sure that all of the kids that are born will be allomancers...you're going to have some duds...(although now that snapping has changed, do children just wake up one day with superpowers?)...anyway...sounds like a lot of work to produce minimal results.  I would think that it would almost be easier and faster just to find and hire a bunch of mistings.

I propose that the Set plans to follow this process up to a point...then use hemalurgy to steal the abilities from the unfortunate kiddies.  In a world where there are no more full mistborn (I get the feeling that this may change at some point in the story...but for now)...this would allow you to produce the only people in the world who possess more than one allomantic ability. 

Edited by hoidhunter

Breeding allomancers from unwilling women is not only horrible...it is incredibly time consuming.  You have to wait 9 months after conception...then you have to raise a kid all brainwashy to do your bidding...you don't even know for sure that all of the kids that are born will be allomancers...you're going to have some duds...(although now that snapping has changed, do children just wake up one day with superpowers?)...anyway...sounds like a lot of work to produce minimal results.  I would think that it would almost be easier and faster just to find and hire a bunch of mistings.

I always kind of thought that the kidnapping thing was a set-up for the plot of the Modern Mistborn Trilogy. In fact, the entire series seems like it's leading into it, to me. Are we going to witness the collapse of the House System and the fracturing of our little utopia into nation-states?  how would these things fit in with modern-era Scadrian society.

Edited by mckeedee123

(although now that snapping has changed, do children just wake up one day with superpowers?)

I know that Harmony has lowered the Snap threshold, but he couldn't get rid of it entirely.  I think there would be some variance; a lot of kids will Snap the first time they hit a significant physical or emotional trauma.  A sizeable percentage would Snap at birth, while a lot of others might Snap when they first fall out of a tree or something.  A charmed few would skate by without any serious traumatic event until their teens or even early adulthood, and then, surprise!  Oh, you just had an unexpected blow of serious grief/injury/fear?  Oops, you're an Allomancer now!

I know that Harmony has lowered the Snap threshold, but he couldn't get rid of it entirely.  I think there would be some variance; a lot of kids will Snap the first time they hit a significant physical or emotional trauma.  A sizeable percentage would Snap at birth, while a lot of others might Snap when they first fall out of a tree or something.  A charmed few would skate by without any serious traumatic event until their teens or even early adulthood, and then, surprise!  Oh, you just had an unexpected blow of serious grief/injury/fear?  Oops, you're an Allomancer now!

As a new first time father...I can say that having a 4 month old who is a pewter arm would suck.  "Now, now...Daddy REALLY doesn't like it when you break his fingers in your cute little hands."

As a new first time father...I can say that having a 4 month old who is a pewter arm would suck.  "Now, now...Daddy REALLY doesn't like it when you break his fingers in your cute little hands."

Heh!  And that would be why you don't make baby bottles out of pewter.

Heh!  And that would be why you don't make baby bottles out of pewter.

RIGHT! 

A Guide for Expecting Parents of a Potential Allomancer:

Rule#1- Never let ANY allomantically viable substance ANYWHERE near you child until they are old enough to understand and follow simple instructions.

Rule#2- Don't be disappointed with your aluminum gnat...it's not their fault they suck.

Rule#3-If your son/daughter turn out to be a Rioter/Soother...you will want to hire a Smoker to be nearby at all times.(although...I guess that wouldn't help YOU much...oh well.)

But seriously...what do you guys think the Set is REALLY planning?

Edited by hoidhunter

Honestly?

Bendalloy Bubble accelerated Child Breeding with lil Hitler youth program.

I always kind of thought that the kidnapping thing was a set-up for the plot of the Modern Mistborn Trilogy. In fact, the entire series seems like it's leading into it, to me. Are we going to witness the collapse of the House System and the fracturing of our little utopia into nation-states? I always kind of wondered how both of these things would fit in with a modern-era Scadrian society.

Sorry I kind of breezed over mckeedees post. This is much more likely than my idea.

I also like the idea of using bendalloy to speed up the gestation of an unborn child. Clever. Up votes sirs.

Edited by hoidhunter

I do have to agree that...from what we've seen anyway...AoL seems to be setting up the story for it's jump into the modern era.  Maybe the whole Set kidnapping women thing is just a plot device to re-introduce an element into the future version of the story.  That being said...how are Wax and Wayne going to tangle with the Set in the next couple of books. (by the way...I think it's awsome that the next two books are coming out so close together)  Are the members of the Set going to remain shrouded in mystery...with our heros simply tangling with their goons...or are we going to seem Wax's uncle get taken down?

I think it's likely that the Set is playing the long game.  Or, at the very least, is playing both long and short games.  They want a Mistborn; they'll breed one if they can, but in the meantime, playing around with Hemalurgy could get them some results.  And given the nature of the book that Marsh gave Marasi, someone somewhere is experimenting with Hemalurgy.

The Bendalloy idea is nice on paper, but in practice it would actually be quite difficult.  Bendalloy burns quickly and is godsawful expensive.  It'd take a truckload of the stuff to make any significant reduction in the length of a pregnancy.

I think it's likely that the Set is playing the long game.  Or, at the very least, is playing both long and short games.  They want a Mistborn; they'll breed one if they can, but in the meantime, playing around with Hemalurgy could get them some results.  And given the nature of the book that Marsh gave Marasi, someone somewhere is experimenting with Hemalurgy.

The Bendalloy idea is nice on paper, but in practice it would actually be quite difficult.  Bendalloy burns quickly and is godsawful expensive.  It'd take a truckload of the stuff to make any significant reduction in the length of a pregnancy.

Well yea. That was the point of the whole vanisher plot though. Make a lot of money buying into houses when there "Stock Price" was down due to the No confidence caused by the vanishers then Return the merchandise raseing confidence back to normal levels. Instant Profit. And as long as you had a skilled Bendalloy Mistling, Possibly a Savant, You could stick several people in the bubble with him/her at the same time and reduce the time on several pregnancy's at once.

If you shave 2 months off total and then allow for the last 4 months to be rest in the year you could safely have a woman do a Baby a year for several years.

As Long as you don't mind being a sick monster that needs to die. Really good villain, I knee Jerk hate him/them with a Passion already..

Well yea. That was the point of the whole vanisher plot though. Make a lot of money buying into houses when there "Stock Price" was down due to the No confidence caused by the vanishers then Return the merchandise raseing confidence back to normal levels. Instant Profit. And as long as you had a skilled Bendalloy Mistling, Possibly a Savant, You could stick several people in the bubble with him/her at the same time and reduce the time on several pregnancy's at once.

If you shave 2 months off total and then allow for the last 4 months to be rest in the year you could safely have a woman do a Baby a year for several years.

As Long as you don't mind being a sick monster that needs to die. Really good villain, I knee Jerk hate him/them with a Passion already..

OK, let's look at this from a strictly mathematical point of view.  (This is, apparently, I thing I do now.  Because nerd!)

In Alloy of Law, Wax stated that a nugget of Bendalloy that would allow Wayne to compress 2 minutes into 15 external seconds costs around 500 notes.

There are 1,440 minutes in a day.  Assuming a 30-day month, that puts us at 43,200 minutes per month.  Using the ratio given above, you can compress 2 months into about 7 1/2 days.  Close enough for our purposes.

We could take the 43,200 minutes x 2 to get two months' worth (86,400), but then we'd just want to divide it out again by 2 because it's 500 notes per 2 minutes.  So we then take 43,200 x 500 and get a total of 21,600,000 notes per Bendalloy run.  A savant might be able to cut that in half or so, but we're still talking about sinking millions per year into the scheme.

And the Set Bought the ENTIRE Tekie's Business. Thats a lot of money. Think buying out Microsoft.

This also does not include the possibility of Private Bendalloy Mines out in the Roughs and other things that villains tend to have. Using your math you could theoretically Compress all 10 months down to 37 and a half days at the cost of 108000000 notes per run, This is assuming of course that your buying the Bendalloy from other people and that Bendalloy Savant hood does not do what it does in the MAG Giving things like a x3 there strength as a mistling instead of x2 or slow burning giving them the ability to double the time it take them to burn a charge while maintaining the same effect.

In short the Set are actually pretty well set up to Cheat in something just like this. It may or may not be what they are doing but hey, We will have the book soon and be able to RAFO. :)

BTW that is good maths. I approve of them.

Hmm.  We have to think more in terms of early 20th century economics, though.  I'm sure Tekiel has a lot of assets, but it wouldn't be on a scale like Microsoft.  We don't know the specifics of the full population of the Basin and the Roughs, but I doubt it comes close to the current US population.  You could fit the entire Elendel Basin into the state of Texas and still have room for most of the explored areas of the Roughs.  So billion-dollar companies with free capital in the tens of millions simply don't have the economic base to exist yet.

Buying controlling interest in the Tekiel company would certainly give them some money to play with, but bear in mind that they are likely going to want to maintain the business for a steady flow of cash.  I mean, they could sell it off later (after they've put in the time and effort to bring it back up to viability) for a chunk of cash, but they're going to have day-to-day expenses.  After all, they have to feed and clothe and educate those Allomantic babies, not to mention keep the mothers healthy, housed, and guarded 24/7.  That's an expensive endeavor in and of itself.

Now, they could steal Bendalloy.  They obviously already have the infrastructure for heists, the destruction of Miles's little cell notwithstanding.  They could also get hold of a mine or two, though I doubt you'd be mining Bendalloy straight out; you'd mine cadmium and bismuth and then create the Bendalloy out of its component metals.  It's a difficult and time-consuming alloy to make, which is why it's one of the more expensive Allomantic metals.  So you'd have to have a metallurgist or two and all of the necessary equipment for making the stuff.

I think Bendalloy creation is a much more likely route, if this is what they're pulling.  Why buy up the stuff at retail when you can just steal it, or make it yourself at what is essentially wholesale cost?  And sell off some extra for a bit more free capital while you're at it.

And thank you.  It is always good to know that my maths are approval-worthy. :)

I did approve of your maths. Very much.  ^_^

The Bendalloy idea is brilliant, though. The vanishers did steal several shipments of the stuff, if I'm not mistaken, and we know that they stole that shipment of aluminum specifically so that they could use it, so...

Here's something: if you were to employ several allomancers to burn Bendalloy all day, they would, undoubtedly, become Savants. What effect do you think being a Bendalloy Savant has on the efficiency of your burning?

EDIT: New idea: What if they kidnapped those people so that they could breed allomancy into the Southern Scadrians?

EDIT #2: Nope, I did a search and I don't think that Bendalloy was ever specifically mentioned as being stolen by the Vanishers.

Edited by mckeedee123

I'm surprised there is not a topic about what the title "Bands of Mourning" means.

It'll be an actual band! You wouldn't know it by looking, but Steris drops a mean bass and Wayne works a xylophone like nobodies business.