Friends at the Welfare store

Westwood Swangin

Hey guys, new acolyte here from Southern Scadrial. My name is Arnell, and I really enjoy reading through all these great theories. I've actually given up music the last couple of months to jam the audiobooks (Words of Radiance and TWOK) whenever possible. I've spread the word to all my co-workers, and am glad to say there are 4 people now making their way through the cosmere with me!

Excellent work spreading the good news!  One of my coworkers just finished WoR and we were chatting the other day.  It's great to expand the fandom to those outside just your family/friends.  B)

You are so lucky to have real life people to discuss the fandom! I have no one :(

You are so lucky to have real life people to discuss the fandom! I have no one :(

She and another lady, who do read fantasy stuff from time to time, saw me carrying WoR in and out of the office back in March, and I really hyped it up for them. :)  Now the other lady just needs to find some time to read the series!  I'm sorry there's no one in your office to bring into the Sanderfold.  Do you know of anyone who likes that kind of book?

She and another lady, who do read fantasy stuff from time to time, saw me carrying WoR in and out of the office back in March, and I really hyped it up for them. :)  Now the other lady just needs to find some time to read the series!  I'm sorry there's no one in your office to bring into the Sanderfold.  Do you know of anyone who likes that kind of book?

There are people, but I just cannot get them to read it  :angry:  I guess they are more SciFi people than Fantasy :(  I got one of my colleague's girlfriend to read it and she loved it, but hey it's not like I see her all the time....... I see her at the annual Christmas party :o

I notice many people also are crazy about GoT and many are making a trial to read the books, but you know, it takes them FOREVER to go through them... so any additional suggestion is not welcome at the time :rolleyes:

There are people, but I just cannot get them to read it  :angry:  I guess they are more SciFi people than Fantasy :(  I got one of my colleague's girlfriend to read it and she loved it, but hey it's not like I see her all the time....... I see her at the annual Christmas party :o

I notice many people also are crazy about GoT and many are making a trial to read the books, but you know, it takes them FOREVER to go through them... so any additional suggestion is not welcome at the time :rolleyes:

That's also the way it is in our office with GoT.  The two ladies I mentioned have both caught up with the books for GoT, and there's an attorney in our office who just watches the show (I've never heard him talk about reading books, those or otherwise.  Think he's too busy playing golf in his free time!), so maybe that's the difference, that they're all now looking for new things to read!  Wait out your coworkers reading GoT.  Maybe by the time they get caught up the next SA novel will be out and you can promote not just two but three books! :D

That's also the way it is in our office with GoT.  The two ladies I mentioned have both caught up with the books for GoT, and there's an attorney in our office who just watches the show (I've never heard him talk about reading books, those or otherwise.  Think he's too busy playing golf in his free time!), so maybe that's the difference, that they're all now looking for new things to read!  Wait out your coworkers reading GoT.  Maybe by the time they get caught up the next SA novel will be out and you can promote not just two but three books!

Well, I did mention SA to a few of them, but when I admit it is a series of 10 books with only two out, I sorta turn of most of them. In fact, just the 10 book thing discourages many.

*sigh*

It would be so neat to have a real-life person to make theories with :( I am hoping for my daughter :ph34r: By the time Brandon finishes the story, she'll be old enough to read it and perhaps even my son will be old enough as well. So yeah, I am pathetically hoping to share my book interests with my kids, in a decade or so :ph34r: In the mean time, I've got this forum :D

It's going to be two 5-book series with the 2nd quintet taking place years (70 years?) after the first quintet, so maybe you could say it's 5 books instead of 10 books.  That way they will be less intimidated.  Kind of like Mistborn is going to be 9 books, but it's really 3 trilogys set centuries apart.

Hi Arnell! Welcome. I agree with Maxal that it must be Great to have people you can discuss the books with in person. I keep trying to recruit some into the fold but I can't force them to read. Bah! I also enjoy audio versions of books. They enable me to move around and do easy tasks while enjoying another time/place/world. WoT was a great way to improve mundane chores and long commutes  B) 

Edited by Tien'sPetLurg

• Chaos locked this topic