Wayne

Pinpoint

Perhaps that we should keep the Terris religion in mind when we think about Wayne? If I recall (and I'm currently re-reading Alloy so hopefully I'll see the quote soon enough), he doesn't simply have some Terris blood, like Wayne; his father was full Terrisman. Making him not just genetically Terris, but maybe even culturally. Whatever religion and other cultural identity Terris currently has (and correct me if I'm wrong, but we didn't see a lot of that in Alloy) Wayne might be affectd by it. Do we think it plausible they went back to the ancient Terris Religion after the Ascension, the one that the Keepers spent a thousand years trying to recover?

I asked Brandon to write something about Wayne in my copy of the Alloy of Law. This is what he wrote

Remember, Wayne is a Terrisman.

He compared Wayne to a non-practicing Jew. What do you guys think he meant?

Crackpot idea: He's a full Feruchemist, not just a Twinborn. One Allomantic metal and all of the Feruchemical ones?

Crackpot idea: He's a full Feruchemist, not just a Twinborn. One Allomantic metal and all of the Feruchemical ones?

Interesting... why wouldn't it have been brought up before? Also I feel like we've got WoB that the introduction of allomantic genes is what splits the feruchemical powers up... I suppose that doesn't mean that, by definition, you can't be both.

Oh, where did you get info about Wayne's father? He said his father was a feruchemist, and not a single wordabout him being full Terris 

Um... hrm, I might be remembering it wrong. Something about the larger quote made me think he was... I thought it said something about, "my dad was a feruchemist, so I knew I'd have feruchemy" or something. I had the impression that just having a ferring as a father isn't an automatic guarantee, so his dad had to be a full Keeper for Wayne to know, "I will absolutely have a feruchemical power", which due to the aforementioned WoB I thought meant his father was full Terris. Looking back, this was far more speculative than I'd at first realized, and I apologize for not marking it as such.

EDIT: for a bit of clarity.

Edited by Darnam

Also, what is up with Wayne being allowed to steal accents. Does he actually steal accents or is that just the way he sees it. is it just a character quirk that he borrows everything else instead of simply stealing it?

Yeah, it's a character quirk. He's not allowed to steal since he's a lawman still, so he trades things and "steals" accents, which are intangible and therefore will not be missed. It's like a smoker chewing nicotine gum. He's a compulsive thief so he finds ways of making it ok.

Edited by Shardbearer

I don't think he's allowed to steal accents. I think he didn't tell anyone - including Wax - about the nature of his hobby. Know less - sleep best.

He's not allowed to steal real things because it is illegal. He is allowed to steal accents because they aren't tangible things that can really be stolen (the person still has their own accent, after all) and so is perfectly legal. He's a kelpto, so he has to steal something. Telling himself he is stealing accents is how he gets his fix, so to speak.

This reminds me of Brandon's lectures for his writing class, which filmed and poted on writeaboutdragons.com. In the lecture he talks about character flaws vs. handicaps.

A flaw would be something the character needs to overcome, like laziness or arrogance.

Wayne's kleptomania is more of a handicap by Brandon's definition. He doesn't have to overcome it. Instead, he has to cope with it. He probably won't ever stop having the urge to take things, so he "steals" accents and "trades" things.

Those writing lectures are the best. I haven't gotten far into them but they are packed with good writing tips. hmmm it is an interesting quirk to have. very unique. Brandon does an excellent job with his characters

Edited by Pinpoint

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Guys !

After I re-read Alloy I got this idea that Wayne is actually much more than he seems to be.
In the Ars Arcanum you can find this table with the 16 different metals and their allomantic and feruchemic purpose.
I guess I'm not the only one who was surprised to read that aluminum gives feruchemists the power to store identity - but the important thing is that Wayne seems really good at impersonating other people. Like the officer in the police department or when he played the old lady at the showing of House Tekiel's new wagon. He showed a lot of dedication to those roles, he even thought like them and had a internal dialogue in character.
It's just a silly little theory but maybe Wayne is a full feruchemist, who uses the power of aluminum to enhance his skills as "performer".
I think he claimed that his father was a "pure" terrisman, so maybe his bloodline is more likely to give him a broader spectrum of feruchemic powers than the one of Wax.
I know that he told Marasi, that Wax saved his life after he accidentally killed a father of a family, because he got cocky with stealing ( other forced him to do it ), but maybe this is just another identity he stored.
What do you guys think about this ? I appreciate any input !

English isn't my first language so if there are any uncertainties - please ask :)
Edited by HydrogenAlpha

I doubt Wane's impersonation ability comes from any ability to store identity.

For one thing his personality is still his own while he is engaging in subterfuge.  i.e. he is still a high spirited joker when he takes on the other identities.  The only difference is that he manifests it by getting into his part rather than acting out toward those around him.

I think that Wayne's acting skill, like Wax's deductive reasoning, Marasi's pattern reconition, Steris's organization, or Lord Harms's money, are all indications that you can be awesome without magic. You don't need to be magically good to be good, you can sometimes just be good.

• 3 weeks later...

Judaism is considered both a race and a religion. Further, in Judaism, if one does not practice, it can just mean that they do not go to synagogue, light candles on the sabbath, or pay attention to high holidays while still believing in G-d and the basics like the Ten Commandments.

I think Brandon is just saying that Wayne does not practice the Terri's religion actively, but is still a Terrisman in his behavior. I.e. "Collecting" accents, gathering information, etc.

I am curious to see if Wayne will be granted a full measure of Feruchemical abilities just like I wonder if Wax is gaining a full measure of Allomantic abilities--at the end he could almost physically feel Marasai's emotions though he attributes this to body language. Anyway.

Judaism is considered both a race and a religion. Further, in Judaism, if one does not practice, it can just mean that they do not go to synagogue, light candles on the sabbath, or pay attention to high holidays while still believing in G-d and the basics like the Ten Commandments.

I think Brandon is just saying that Wayne does not practice the Terri's religion actively, but is still a Terrisman in his behavior. I.e. "Collecting" accents, gathering information, etc.

I am curious to see if Wayne will be granted a full measure of Feruchemical abilities just like I wonder if Wax is gaining a full measure of Allomantic abilities--at the end he could almost physically feel Marasai's emotions though he attributes this to body language. Anyway.

Brass and zinc only let you broadcast, not read, emotion. Breeze was so good because he was an expert at reading body language, then nudging it with brass.