Shardpool Question

Dunkum

I didn't see anything about this in a brief glimpse through the SoS spoilers forum, so I thought I would ask:

It seems pretty clear that the "Mountain Pool" from the broadsheet is probably a shardpool.  However, the text describes it as being "a most perfect blue."  I seem to recall, though I am having trouble tracking it down, that Ruin and Preservation's shardpools were metallic black and metallic white respectively.  so my question is:

Is this Harmony's shardpool, and the color just a reflection that the new shard formed by merging Ruin and Preservation is different?  or could it be evidence of the other shard mentioned at the end of the book?

Recent WoB said that Harmony is still the only Shard there, so it must be one of his. Someone is clearly interfering, however I think its safe to say they haven't actually invested in Scadrial yet. I'm sure Sazed would be able to notice something like that.

Well the logical conclusion would be that harmonys Shardpool is silvery metallic so if it was reflecting the sky it could appear blue I guess? That's all I can think of since it seems unlikely that another Shard could open up a Shardpool without Harmony being aware of it.

Recent WoB said that Harmony is still the only Shard there, so it must be one of his. Someone is clearly interfering, however I think its safe to say they haven't actually invested in Scadrial yet. I'm sure Sazed would be able to notice something like that.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Brandon actually say there are only two shards on Scadrial?

We don't know whether he is counting Harmony as one shard or two.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Brandon actually say there are only two shards on Scadrial?

We don't know whether he is counting Harmony as one shard or two.

Argent posted a clarification post in one of the recent SoS topics about this issue and if IIRC, it said that it was in regards to Ruin and Preservation

Argent posted a clarification post in one of the recent SoS topics about this issue and if IIRC, it said that it was in regards to Ruin and Preservation

Yes Ruin and Preservation still count as two shards.  Sazed just calls himself "Harmony" because that's how he conceptualizes his role as the holder of the two shards with seemingly opposite intents. (And since that's what he calls himself, that's what the people of Scadrial call him, because they have no reason to know any better.)  So "Harmony" isn't actually a shard... it's just what Sazed calls himself now that he holds both the shard of Ruin and the shard of Preservation.

Yes Ruin and Preservation still count as two shards.  Sazed just calls himself "Harmony" because that's how he conceptualizes his role as the holder of the two shards with seemingly opposite intents. (And since that's what he calls himself, that's what the people of Scadrial call him, because they have no reason to know any better.)  So "Harmony" isn't actually a shard... it's just what Sazed calls himself now that he holds both the shard of Ruin and the shard of Preservation.

I don't think that's quite right.  WoB is pretty clear that if Sazed were to die, he would drop one shard, not 2 (thats close to an exact quote...unless he's changed his mind since then)

Maybe the Shardpool (if it is one) it normally another color, but since it was just used to Worldhop the color was distorted/the color of the Shardpool at the other end temporarily leaked through.

I don't think that's quite right.  WoB is pretty clear that if Sazed were to die, he would drop one shard, not 2 (thats close to an exact quote...unless he's changed his mind since then)

Here's the WoB in question:

Q:Thanks so much for all your writing, Way of Kings is the best book I've read in the last decade.

If Sazed were to die, would he drop the shards Ruin and Preservation, or would he drop the shard Harmony?

A:Excellent question. The shards are now intermingled, and would take effort to split apart. He would drop Harmony. (This is what Odium feared would happen, by the way.)

There would be no reason to say the first statement if the shards were not still 2 separate entities, though intermingled. He would just say, "Harmony, because that's the shard now." It's like saying if you mix salt and water, do you then have a completely new substance?  No, you have saltwater... they're intermingled.  You can separate the salt and water with effort, but if you drop a glass full of saltwater, then saltwater would come out of it. (This is what Odiumslug fears happening, by the way.)   :P

Edited by vineyarddawg

Found it

He explicitly confirmed that he is referring to Ruin and Preservation. So we don't "freak out," as he put it. Because I was freaking out.

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe the Shardpool (if it is one) it normally another color, but since it was just used to Worldhop the color was distorted/the color of the Shardpool at the other end temporarily leaked through.

If you are right wouldn't the bright blue pool point to

the Shardpool on Sel?

If you are right wouldn't the bright blue pool point to

the Shardpool on Sel?

If it leaked through, yes.

If the Blue was caused by a distortion of the color though, then it could mean

that the Sel Shardpool had recently been used, perhaps by Hoid arriving?

I didn't see anything about this in a brief glimpse through the SoS spoilers forum, so I thought I would ask:

It seems pretty clear that the "Mountain Pool" from the broadsheet is probably a shardpool.  However, the text describes it as being "a most perfect blue."  I seem to recall, though I am having trouble tracking it down, that Ruin and Preservation's shardpools were metallic black and metallic white respectively.  so my question is:

Is this Harmony's shardpool, and the color just a reflection that the new shard formed by merging Ruin and Preservation is different?  or could it be evidence of the other shard mentioned at the end of the book?

It's probably Preservation's shardpool, as Brandon has said the pits are Ruin's equivalent.

It's probably Preservation's shardpool, as Brandon has said the pits are Ruin's equivalent.

Well the well was Preservations, now I think there's another WoB that both are now no longer there.

EDIT: And indeed there is.

DALENTHAS (15 OCTOBER 2008)
Does the Well of Ascension still exist in the new world? Or is it no longer necessary? I assumed that Preservation collected there like Ruin collects in the Pits of Hathsin, so if Atium keeps forming then the well should keep filling...
BRANDON SANDERSON (16 OCTOBER 2008)
The Well (and the small wells in the Pits) is no more. For now at least.
Edited by Voidus

Well the well was Preservations, now I think there's another WoB that both are now no longer there.

So, how is that consistent with TenSoon & Wax walking by the hut that Wax thinks houses the Well of Ascension when they are in the Kandra homeland? I mean, they escape from the homeland through the Pits of Hathsin!

Now that is not to say that either the Well or the Pits are still active shardpools, but they are obviously still there (in the sense that they are still in existence).

That seems to indicate that the suspected shardpool in the mountains must belong to either (a.) Harmony or (b.) the "other god" that MeeLan warns us about at the end of SoS.

SA3 spoilers:

Of course, the pool could just be one of the "perpendicularities" as referenced in the scene from Stormlight #3 (see link below).

Who knows if these things exist independently of shardpools or not?

WARNING: This scene gives major spoilers for Words of Radiance.

http://www.tor.com/2014/08/06/stormlight-archive-scene-after-words-of-radiance/

Edited by Moogle
Please mark SA3 spoilers.

So, how is that consistent with TenSoon & Wax walking by the hut that Wax thinks houses the Well of Ascension when they are in the Kandra homeland? I mean, they escape from the homeland through the Pits of Hathsin!

Now that is not to say that either the Well or the Pits are still active shardpools, but they are obviously still there (in the sense that they are still in existence).

That seems to indicate that the suspected shardpool in the mountains must belong to either (a.) Harmony or (b.) the "other god" that MeeLan warns us about at the end of SoS.

It's consistent. You even said it, though you may not realize it.

Wax thinks that, based on the Historica, the Well of Ascension should be under that hut... but he also clearly thinks that he doesn't have time right now to go down there and check. Wax is fallible and is making assumptions based off of the writings. When he's climing through the Pits, he's using the pock marks from the tiny ruin wells as handholds because the crystals haven't grown back yet (300 years after Kelsier destroyed them.)

The fact that the Well is no longer under the Hut according to WoB points to something significant, we just don't know what yet.

SA3 spoilers:

Oh, BTW ... what a scathing review the first comment is on that scene, ouch!

WARNING: This scene gives major spoilers for Words of Radiance.
http://www.tor.com/2014/08/06/stormlight-archive-scene-after-words-of-radiance/

The first comment on the linked scene is this:

eternalreturn
So, Moiraine Jasnah didn’t actually die, she jumped into Finnland Shadesmar, and is now likely trapped there until Mat Shallan can help her escape, and provide her valuable knowledge to the world…

When I read that, it was a little bit like losing my innocence. I thought all of this was so original. I just hope that Shadesmar is different enough from Tel'aran'rhiod (and Jasnah is different enough from Moiraine) that I don't get as jaded as eternalreturn.

It's consistent. You even said it, though you may not realize it.

Wax thinks that, based on the Historica, the Well of Ascension should be under that hut...

Yeah, I realized there was a possibility that Wax is wrong. Wax's comment isn't definitive proof. I was trying to make two points...

Point #1: It is likely that a hole in the ground - which formerly held the Well of Ascension - probably still exists. This is evidenced by the fact that the Pits of Hathsin still exist; although, neither is likely to still be an active shardpool.

Point #2: The mountial pool is not necessarily a shardpool; it could just as easily be a perpendicularity that allows for world-hopping. Perpendicularities may or may not be shardpools. I think right now the possibilities could be represented as a Venn diagram...

post-17242-0-32525500-1446479840_thumb.j

Edited by Moogle
Please mark SA3 spoilers.

Cheers Voidus!

Might imply he's moved them, might imply there's just Harmony's Well... who knows! :)

SA3 spoilers:

Oh, BTW ... what a scathing review the first comment is on that scene, ouch!

The first comment on the linked scene is this:

When I read that, it was a little bit like losing my innocence. I thought all of this was so original. I just hope that Shadesmar is different enough from Tel'aran'rhiod (and Jasnah is different enough from Moiraine) that I don't get as jaded as eternalreturn.

WOR spoilers

You can draw parallels between almost any two scenes if you describe them vaguely enough and Jasnah doesn't need Shallan's help at all.

Edited by Moogle

WOR spoilers

You can draw parallels between almost any two scenes if you describe them vaguely enough and Jasnah doesn't need Shallan's help at all.

yea, those two characters are not even remotely similar.  the commenter on that chapter doesn't know what he is talking about in the slightest.

yea, those two characters are not even remotely similar.  the commenter on that chapter doesn't know what he is talking about in the slightest.

LOTR and WOR spoilers (Though I doubt anyone doesn't already know enough about it.

So, Moiraine Jasnah Gandalf didn’t actually die, she he jumped into Finnland Shadesmar Moria, and is now likely trapped there until Mat Shallan Frodo can help her him escape, and provide her his valuable knowledge to the world…

^ A statement that is just as relevant and truthful as the comment was.

:o

Clearly Moiraine is just Gandalf.  <_<

Edited by Moogle

Good point, Dunkum.

Clearly Moiraine is just Gandalf.  <_<

HA! Awesome snark Voidus.

I can't say why, but you guys made me feel better about that. Thanks!

(An upvote for each of you) :)