Symbolic animals for the SA characters?

Lilaer

Hello everyone,

it‘s nice to meet you. You guys have such fascinating and friendly discussions going on, it draws out even lurkers like me.

I had fun thinking about the Stormlight Archive characters and what would be their symbolic animal, (A bit as in the style of the daemons of His Dark Materials or the patronus of Harry Potter. My apologies if there already is a post like this somewhere.)

Here goes:

• Kaladin would be a wolf. A strong and hardy creature, fierce to outsiders, loyal to its pack. The wild look of a wolf would also match how I imagine him.
  • Shallan: A mink, I think. A shy yet bold creature, crafty, quick, delicate but vicious when threatened.
  • Adolin: A noble war steed much like Sureblood. Beautiful and powerful but in a civilized manner, not exactly an independent creature, but loyal and brave.
  • Navani: Easy, a great cat, maybe a leopard or a lioness. Elegant, demanding, independent but also tender.
  • Renarin: A turtle, because he always hides in his shell. More benevolently: Something like a heron or crane. Amazing if it‘s left to fly, but withering in a cage or under constant stress.
  • Jasnah is hard. I'm not sure what I'd say.
  • Szeth....hehe, maybe a mongoose? He‘s small, with incredible grace and reflexes so....
  • Elhokar is hard to tell, but then, I really don‘t like him so I don‘t want to compare him to some admirable creature. What kind of animal is known to be this moody?
  • Dalinar is also very difficult, but not because he sucks. He‘s just not like any animal I can think of.

Hm, I think I‘ve got most of the best known characters so far. Do you agree? Do you have other ideas?

Elhokar is a peacock, you mean. ;)

Dalinar is a wolverine. No other animal is hard-core enough.

Jasnah is... IDK, an octopus? Intelligent and dexterous.

I would give Kal a flying animal, but I'm not sure which one. If only wolves could fly... the world would be more interesting, I guess.

Welcome to the 17th shard Lilaer! :D

Hi there! Welcome!

Given I've just been browsing some art of fantastical animals and thoroughly enjoying them, this thread tickles at my brain. I read your first two suggestions before I realized I probably should make my own first. So, a few ideas:

Adolin: A cat. Enjoys preening himself and being all pretty, affectionate, but also happens to be rather dangerous.

Renarin: An owl, obviously.

Jasnah: I'm thinking a snake of some sort. Not trying to go for negative connotations, but cold-blooded? Doesn't quite capture the scholarship angle, but she's the sort to hire assassins and her being this gorgeous sleek midnight-black snake could definitely get the look right. Perhaps a panther.

Szeth: A poodle, or some sort of lap dog with white fur. Trying for the 'subservient'/'follows orders' thing.

Dalinar: A lion of some sort. Maybe I'm just thinking of the Lion King too much lately...

I see Jasnah as a fox.  Sly, cunning, hard to catch or pin down, and yet quite dangerous when cornered.

Szeth I think of as a jackyl:  Graceful and cunning, definitely dangerous, but generally relegated to fighting over scraps.

Lopen of course is a fiddler crab.

You have no idea how happy this topic makes me!  :lol: I think wolf is perfect for Kaladin. I really can't see another animal working better. Jasnah... Hm. It would need to be something elegant, but dangerous. I almost wonder if she wouldn't be a large cat as well. Probably smaller than Navani, maybe an ocelot. Elhokar would probably be some sort of baby bird that hasn't figured out how to fly yet, and I can see Dalinar as either an eagle or a lion.

As for Szeth... rabid dog?

• Kaladin: Agreeing that Kal would be a wolf, this one is too perfect!

Shallan: Hawk 

Adolin: Lion - proud and strong

Navani: Fox

Renarin: An Owl - Silent in the night, but sees everything (fits truthwatchers imo). 

Jasnah: Leopard 

Szeth: Viper/Cobra - graceful and ready to strike

Elhokar: I can't unsee the chicken comment lol

Dalinar: A bear - strong/fearless

• Chaos locked this topic