Personal unsealed metalmind encryption?

Trusk'our

Question

In order for an unsealed metalmind to be usable for someone other than the creator, it needs to be Identityless. However, you can transfer investiture from one metalmind to another pretty easily, so that got me wondering:

If you draw investiture from an unsealed metalmind and transfer the power to another viable piece of metal, would your own Identity then encrypt it to be usable only by you?

7 answers to this question

Yes. i'm not 100% clear on the precis specifics of what you are asking, but by default if you store to a metalmind, unless you are messing about with Identity, the resulting metalmind will be keyed to you and only you would be able to use it. that should hold true even if the attribute you re storing isn't one that you innately have the ability to use with ferruchemy

58 minutes ago, Dunkum said:

Yes. i'm not 100% clear on the precis specifics of what you are asking, but by default if you store to a metalmind, unless you are messing about with Identity, the resulting metalmind will be keyed to you and only you would be able to use it. that should hold true even if the attribute you re storing isn't one that you innately have the ability to use with ferruchemy

Sorry, I was thinking that someone would want to encrypt their unsealed metalmind so that only they could tap it, then no one else could steal it and use it against you.

14 hours ago, Trusk'our said:

Sorry, I was thinking that someone would want to encrypt their unsealed metalmind so that only they could tap it, then no one else could steal it and use it against you.

yea, I figured you were going for somethign like that - basically pulling the investiture from the unsealed metalmind and putting it into one that is keyed to yourself.

clarification question: do you mean unkeyed or unsealed? an unkeyed metalmind is one with no Identity associated with it, but the user still needs to already have the associated ferruchemical ability to access it.  an unsealed metalmind is one tat can be used by someone even without the appropriate ferruchemy - that is it grants the ability to draw on it. All the ones we ave seen so far have also been unkeyed, but i'm not sure if that's actually a requirement or not.

at any rate.  for an unkeyed metalmnd, what you have in mind would definitely work.  for an unsealed one, it may be trickier, because once you dump the power you may not be able to draw it back in unless you already were able to use that type of ferruchemy.

On 10/23/2021 at 3:27 PM, Dunkum said:

yea, I figured you were going for somethign like that - basically pulling the investiture from the unsealed metalmind and putting it into one that is keyed to yourself.

clarification question: do you mean unkeyed or unsealed? an unkeyed metalmind is one with no Identity associated with it, but the user still needs to already have the associated ferruchemical ability to access it.  an unsealed metalmind is one tat can be used by someone even without the appropriate ferruchemy - that is it grants the ability to draw on it. All the ones we ave seen so far have also been unkeyed, but i'm not sure if that's actually a requirement or not.

at any rate.  for an unkeyed metalmnd, what you have in mind would definitely work.  for an unsealed one, it may be trickier, because once you dump the power you may not be able to draw it back in unless you already were able to use that type of ferruchemy.

I meant unsealed, like if a non feruchemist wanted to gain access to a form of investiture, and they had a full feruchemist friend who stored a few attributes in a specially made unsealed metalmind for their buddy's use. The non feruchemist then would transfer the attributes from the unsealed metalmind to another piece of metal that contained all the valid metals required to store those attributes, but without blanking his Identity whilst doing so. Sorry about taking so long to respond, I should keep track of my posts more :(

18 minutes ago, Trusk'our said:

I meant unsealed, like if a non feruchemist wanted to gain access to a form of investiture, and they had a full feruchemist friend who stored a few attributes in a specially made unsealed metalmind for their buddy's use. The non feruchemist then would transfer the attributes from the unsealed metalmind to another piece of metal that contained all the valid metals required to store those attributes, but without blanking his Identity whilst doing so. Sorry about taking so long to respond, I should keep track of my posts more :(

no worries.  the biggest problem with this scenario is that the person doesn't naturally have ferruchemy. so either they would need access to unsealed nicrosilmind to continue having the ability to use the new metalmind or else it too would have to be unsealed.  and we don't know how to make an unsealed metalmind, so it may be difficult or impossible for 1. the non-ferruchemist to create an unsealed metalmind using an ability that he only has via an existing metalmind or 2. to make an unsealed metalmind that is keyed to himself.

2 minutes ago, Dunkum said:

no worries.  the biggest problem with this scenario is that the person doesn't naturally have ferruchemy. so either they would need access to unsealed nicrosilmind to continue having the ability to use the new metalmind or else it too would have to be unsealed.  and we don't know how to make an unsealed metalmind, so it may be difficult or impossible for 1. the non-ferruchemist to create an unsealed metalmind using an ability that he only has via an existing metalmind or 2. to make an unsealed metalmind that is keyed to himself.

Just thought of this; could you use the same metalmind as the one you're tapping, just store in a different part of the same metal? 

Had another idea; what if someone wanted to super-safety-encrypt a powerful metalmind, like the Bands of Mourning, so they gave the person who was storing the attributes multiple hemalurgic Identity Spikes, meaning that anyone who wanted to use that metalmind would also need those spikes as well. If you encrypted the metalmind with four or more spikes, the person would even be susceptible to Harmony's control, so maybe that could be a sort of back up security plan if anyone manages to get all the spikes.