Roshar Physical and Astronomical Traits

Zoey

This is largely done for fun instead of a serious dive, but I wanted to calculate various factors of Roshar, 

We can assume the distance to the sun of Roshar through

Sqrt[3]((GMT^2)/4π)

If we assume that the Orbital Period is 36000000 Seconds, due to the information that the years on Roshar are 10,000 Hours long (500 Days of 20 Hours each), and that the Sun is the same parametres of our own, we can find that the distance to the sun is approximately 1.091886 AU or 1.63343821e+11 Metres on average. This is in the habitable zone, but is farther out, and thus likely colder than Earth.

Knowing this, we can find the average temperature, which comes out to 244.789108567 Kelvin, though do note, this is not the actual temperature, as Greenhouse Effect causes planets to heat up more, and it is the reason that Earth is able to sustain life and not freeze. As mentioned before, it is still in the habitable zone, and through its atmosphere it would be able to reach survivable heights. But despite this, the method to calculate the true temperature of the planet is beyond me due to a lack of information on all of the aspects needed, such as Axial Tilt, Atmospheric Density, Wind Patterns, etcetera. Only idea we have is a higher density of oxygen than we have on Earth. 

I will try to find the distance from the sun at the various months, though this I am not as knowledgeable on the methods of. So would take me a moment.  

Rotational Speed of Roshar, assuming a radius of 5663 km we get a circumference of 35583 km, and we know the Rotational Period to be 20 Hours, therefore, (35583)/20 = 1779.15 Km/h or 494.2083333 M/s. This is approximately 1.44084062187x the Speed of Sound, and 1.06281362x the Velocity of Earth. 

4 hours ago, Zoey said:

If we assume that the Orbital Period is 36000000 Seconds, due to the information that the years on Roshar are 10,000 Hours long (500 Days of 20 Hours each)

Note that Rosharan hours are also a different length than our own, and the year ends up being 1.10 Earth years. 

Peter Ahlstrom

The Rosharan year is 1.10 Earth years. The Rosharan hour is a little bit shorter.

name_here

Let me guess: it's 50 minutes.

E: no, just checked on calculator, apparently it's 57.816 minutes.

Peter Ahlstrom

But it's 50 Rosharan minutes. 

Miscellaneous 2014 (March 20, 2014)

Edited by Chiberty

22 hours ago, Chiberty said:

Note that Rosharan hours are also a different length than our own, and the year ends up being 1.10 Earth years. 

Should be:

R-Second = 1.387584 E-Second

That is assuming it was 50 R-Seconds per R-Minute

1 R-Minute = 1.15632 E-Minute

1 R-Hour = 0.9636 E-Hour

1 R-Day = 0.803 E-Day

1 R-Year = 1.1 E-Year