REPORT: Chicago

HardcorePooka

My great journey to see Brandon Sanderson started at about 1:00 in the afternoon... I arrived at the signing at about 2:00 and then met up with some fellow 17th Sharders (Shivertongue and his friends) and we hung out at the mall across the street from the Borders where the signing would occur. We got back to the Borders at about 5:30 or so and acquired our wristbands to assure our places in line. From there we commandeered an entire row of seats(not the front row... but we should have) and sat around talking with fellow fans of Brandon for the next hour and 45 minutes or so.

I got to explain the fixing of Elantris to someone. That was fun.

Brandon was late. From what I can tell this is pretty normal for him. The employees at the store said he hit traffic... I think he just didn't want to leave the restaurant where he had dinner because their food is quite awesome.

Brandon then did a reading from The Way of Kings in which he read the prelude. He also explained that the prelude is really a second prologue... and that the book doesn't really start until chapter 2. Also, it is entirely my fault that the reading did not get recorded. The mic I was using to record was a powered mic which I of course forgot to turn on until about halfway through the reading. Way to go me!

Then the Q&A portion of the night happened. I recorded all of this. The audio is available  here...

Listed below are all the questions asked during the Q&A session. They are a little hard to hear on the recording so I wrote all of them down and you can follow along while listening.

I thought it was kind of funny, like centuries they'd all been fighting together and then all of the sudden coincidentally they all decided, I mean well not decided, but something inside them all broke. Was it because they were bound together in some way? Was it coincidence?

When will the next Wheel of Time book come out?

All of your books run on the same cosmology, essentially that all the different planets exist in the same universe. Is there a shot that, considering the size of the Stormlight Archive, is there a chance that we're going to be seeing Surgebinders vs. Allomancers?

That having been said, you have also said that you might maybe write a trilogy of trilogies of the Mistborn series. And you said that last series might be a sci-fi-ish kind of spin on it, how would the different magic systems work off planet and would they interact at that point?

At the end of