Roshar's Moons

spitfireky

I thought it was interesting in RoW that Venli referred to Nomon as "Honor's Moon". Since Roshar has three moons, I figured that each corresponds to a different Shard in the system. So, Salas probably connects to Odium and Mishim to Cultivation. I double-checked on the Coppermind and found this:

Roshar is the second planet from its sun[8]. It has several notable heavenly bodies, including three moons. The first and smallest moon is violet Salas. The middle moon is Nomon, which is a bright, pale blue. The final moon is Mishim, which is smaller than Nomon and green. The Shin refer to the moons as the Three Sisters, and call each moon by its order, with Salas being the First Sister, Nomon the Second Sister and Mishim the Third Sister, while in Natanatan, Nomon is considered to be male.[124] All three moons rise and fall in the same order every night and have highly unstable orbits, suggesting they were placed artificially.

The colors of the moons all correspond to the colors of Investiture associated with the Shards as well (Voidlight, Stormlight, and Lifelight).

My theory is that, as Investiture comes in three states of matter, the Shards' godmetals (solid) can be found on the moons. However, the Coppermind says that a lot of Investiture concentrated in one location tends to create a Perpendicularity, and I haven't found anything in the books that points to a moon being one. But is it possible to reach them through Shadesmar? Additionally, since the moons appear to be placed artificially, they could've been formed at the time that Honor, Cultivation, and Odium settled in the system.

Sorry if someone's already thought of this!

2 hours ago, spitfireky said:

I thought it was interesting in RoW that Venli referred to Nomon as "Honor's Moon". Since Roshar has three moons, I figured that each corresponds to a different Shard in the system. So, Salas probably connects to Odium and Mishim to Cultivation. I double-checked on the Coppermind and found this:

The colors of the moons all correspond to the colors of Investiture associated with the Shards as well (Voidlight, Stormlight, and Lifelight).

My theory is that, as Investiture comes in three states of matter, the Shards' godmetals (solid) can be found on the moons. However, the Coppermind says that a lot of Investiture concentrated in one location tends to create a Perpendicularity, and I haven't found anything in the books that points to a moon being one. But is it possible to reach them through Shadesmar? Additionally, since the moons appear to be placed artificially, they could've been formed at the time that Honor, Cultivation, and Odium settled in the system.

Sorry if someone's already thought of this!

It's kind of weird that thee moons aren't mentioned more often. They're clearly related to three shards that are Invested in Roshar, so they have to be pretty important, but we never hear anything big about them. Is it possible that their size is indicative of how invested a shard is? I'm assuming a Shard can just make a giant tinted rock orbit a planet if Ruin and Preservation can create Scadrial from scratch, so maybe they're just symbolic? Like planting a flag and saying this is my territory.