Finally leaping the lurker chasm... Hello :)

17 minutes ago, Dalinar'sCroissant said:

I am not sure if I should tag spoilers, so will do so just to be safe :) FYI I've only read the prose version

Reveal hidden contents

My dislike of Gevin is mostly in his role as a character and its depth rather than the character itself.

I've only read the prose, so not sure of this applies to the Graphic novels but he was really unfulfilling to me. I would have loved proper elaboration on how his world perspective changed, how he thought the poor should be helped, really and truly confronting Khriss about her priorities in the world order. I thought he had way more potential.

I also disliked his talk with Khriss in the sense that a) it seemed too rush. It was all "i cheated on you and laughed behind your back. Byeee!"

b )  seemed like a very stereotypical conflict between a man and a woman  and far too superficial for someone as awesome as Khriss. I hate that his words sent her into such a bad self-pitying hole that reinforces many toxic aspects of being a woman. I get that it was necessary for many aspects of the story, but it could have been done much better and since its Gevin that prompts this...then I dislike him by association  :D

To be fair, I think Serene struggled with similar concepts, but her struggle was much better written, more compelling to read and empathise with. 

Well said, I consider Part 3 of the GN better than its prose counterpart for this conversation

Oh hey, does that mean you've read/are reading the Aether of Night?

Edited by R J

20 minutes ago, R J said:

Oh hey, does that mean you've read/are reading the Aether of Night?

I have not! I know that I can request it here but still have to ask the google gods how to go about it. I'd appreciate any help!

21 minutes ago, R J said:

Well said, I consider Part 3 of the GN better than its prose counterpart for this conversation.

That's very interesting. Hope to get to it one day, though I find it rather difficult to get into graphic novels tbh. Is there maybe somewhere I can find a comparison of them to understand better the differences?

1 hour ago, Dalinar'sCroissant said:

I have not! I know that I can request it here but still have to ask the google gods how to go about it. I'd appreciate any help!

Just post that you want it here. The admins will delete your post and include you in a PM with the copy of the book.

Just go here: https://www.17thshard.com/forum/topic/60219-aether-of-night-manuscript-requests/

and say that you want a copy

That's very interesting. Hope to get to it one day, though I find it rather difficult to get into graphic novels tbh. Is there maybe somewhere I can find a comparison of them to understand the differences?

Hmm, I talk about it in a Aether of Night spoilerific thread. Lemme go see if there's somewhere else I've talked about it because I don't remember seeing this mentioned by anyone else

Update: looks like this got overshadowed by the extra scene in the GN (don't visit the subforum if you don't want to get spoiled!) 

Edited by R J

3 minutes ago, Quitecontrary said:

Just post that you want it here. The admins will delete your post and include you in a PM with the copy of the book.

thanks!

3 minutes ago, R J said:

and thank you to you too!

It's very sweet of you both :) Made my post and now super excited to read even more Brandon. I swear, I would read that man's shopping lists...

26 minutes ago, Quitecontrary said:

Someone should start a thread that asks, "what would Brandon's shopping lists contain?"

Knowing Brandon, they're probably short-story length at least. I sincerely hope they're saving them to at some point release the 15-tome leather-bound Retail Unbounded: Transactions of Earth. Bet Isaac's milk bottle illustrations will blow our minds.

25 minutes ago, R J said:

Sorry, didn't find anything on the extended dialogue but you should get vol 3, there's an extra scene there that wasn't in the prose

Hey, can I interest you in voting for your favourite characters?

That's ok :) now that I know of the extra scene getting the GN went up in my priority list.

Yes! I'll check out those threads :)

2 minutes ago, Dalinar'sCroissant said:

Knowing Brandon, they're probably short-story length at least. I sincerely hope they're saving them to at some point release the 15-tome leather-bound Retail Unbounded: Transactions of Earth. Bet Isaac's milk bottle illustrations will blow our minds.

You're assuming Brandon is in charge of it. You have no idea how many men I saw in the grocery store during quarantine taking pictures of mundane canned goods like peas, while talking on the phone with their partner (i suppose), and say "I cannot find that brand! This is all they have. Will this do?" Oh poor boys.

Retail Unbounded! Nyahahahahahahahahaha! :lol:

Isaac would have supermarket lanes all mapped out, down to shelf intelligence.

3 minutes ago, Quitecontrary said:

You're assuming Brandon is in charge of it. You have no idea how many men I saw in the grocery store during quarantine taking pictures of mundane canned goods like peas, while talking on the phone with their partner (i suppose), and say "I cannot find that brand! This is all they have. Will this do?" Oh poor boys.

Seen this too!! :D 

I mean, he must have a contribution to the list when he wants something right?... and potentially being clueless of this sort of thing he writes a list for Emily explaining how the milk he wants is the one that his mom used that one time they all had a family breakfast... you know that snowy day when he had lost his glasses for a bit so they had to look everywhere... and the family was upset because they arrived late but to smooth things over his mom served a hot chocolate using that particular milk that cheered everyone up. I can also see him writing all of that just for himself to be fair.

1 minute ago, Dalinar'sCroissant said:

I mean, he must have a contribution to the list when he wants something right?... and potentially being clueless of this sort of thing he writes a list for Emily explaining how the milk he wants is the one that his mom used that one time they all had a family breakfast... you know that snowy day when he had lost his glasses for a bit so they had to look everywhere... and the family was upset because they arrived late but to smooth things over his mom served a hot chocolate using that particular milk that cheered everyone up. I can also see him writing all of that just for himself to be fair.

Scenes are now running in my head with Emily's eye-rolling and head shaking, while reading Brandon's extensive descriptions. She writes the brand name of that milk he wanted. Of course she knows what it is. ^_^

6 minutes ago, Quitecontrary said:

Scenes are now running in my head with Emily's eye-rolling and head shaking, while reading Brandon's extensive descriptions. She writes the brand name of that milk he wanted. Of course she knows what it is. ^_^

Of course she does.

And with a resigned sigh, she puts the milk in her cart and proceeds to the next page: Popcorn and the correct salt ratio (a novella)