The thrill and Alethi society

Ascended

19 minutes ago, Gilphon said:

think Karger is giving the Alethela codes a bit too much credit. I agree that the idea behind the codes was probably to help their soldiers resist the Thrill, but I doubt that they were ever incredibly effective. They're always gonna be some people who choose to join the military because they want to fight things, or because they want to prove how strong they are. You're never gonna be able stop Nergaoul from getting a foothold in there somewhere

I agree that the codes were not 100% and neither were anything else but there is a difference between that and complete uselessness.  For example modern soldiers in the US who want to kill people are probably going to fail the psych exam and be put in places with less weapons.  Are their incidents of course but the kind of systematic destruction of the thrill is not going to happen on a wide scale assuming that the Radiants are doing their jobs. 

29 minutes ago, Karger said:

I agree that the codes were not 100% and neither were anything else but there is a difference between that and complete uselessness.  For example modern soldiers in the US who want to kill people are probably going to fail the psych exam and be put in places with less weapons.  Are their incidents of course but the kind of systematic destruction of the thrill is not going to happen on a wide scale assuming that the Radiants are doing their jobs. 

Well, sure, but that's not quite what we're talking about? Like the codes were probably gonna be reasonably effective at preventing large-scale disasters like the Veden civil war and the battle of Thaylen fields, but I don't think they're gonna be enough to prevent Nergaoul from being attracted to Alethela, or enough to prevent him from slowly re-shaping Alethi culture around him over the course of the next few centuries. 

Like, everyone in the entire country growing up with embodiment of the urge to fight constantly trying to convince them to kill each other is gonna have consequences that are kinda beyond what the Radiants could deal with, y'know?

10 minutes ago, Gilphon said:

Like, everyone in the entire country growing up with embodiment of the urge to fight constantly trying to convince them to kill each other is gonna have consequences that are kinda beyond what the Radiants could deal with, y'know?

Humans the world over have grown up with the desire to do all kinds of things that do not shape our society and are not considered acceptable and do not tend to override our social institutions.  There are examples but most would be inflammatory.  However if those institutions were to be discredited or break down might be able to do a lot of damage.

Edited by Karger

• Chaos locked this topic