Talenelat’Elin Portrait Glyphs

Smye

2 hours ago, Lump-wing said:

Does it look like the glyph characters are glowing/on fire?

They are absolutely glowing/lit from within somehow...

22 hours ago, ChickenLiberty said:

I'm pretty certain that it has been cracked. I remember seeing the translations for that image. If somebody else remembers the thread I was thinking of, can they post the link? I'm having trouble finding it.

Time to start digging!

22 hours ago, ChickenLiberty said:

I'm pretty certain that it has been cracked. I remember seeing the translations for that image. If somebody else remembers the thread I was thinking of, can they post the link? I'm having trouble finding it.

Wonko the Sane did a great job here with a lot of excellent ideas from Jofwu (about halfway down the page)  https://www.17thshard.com/forum/topic/62424-ob-glyph-translation-discussion-no-plot-spoilers/?page=2

In fact, they such a great job that if they made any mistakes I doubt the rest of us would have caught them as we were going off their glyph tracings (picking out what is the actual glyph letters versus just waves drawn on the map is quite difficult).  The letters that jogged my memory from the Taln picture are the

• lower case j without the dot (which is an i or e vowel) 
  • the 180 rotated j/shepard crook shape (r) 
  • and the v shape (sh)

I could be completely wrong here though as all the alphabets so far have shared some similar looking letters (likely owing to all descending partially from the Dawnchant).  The even more annoying but completely probable possibility is that these are the Calligraphic phonemes that Nazh mentions but never shows at the end of the artpage on Alethi glyphs, in which case we're probably in the dark until the 2nd half of that artwork gets released.

• Chaos locked this topic