Is Passion important?

Is Passion important? I think it is.

Odium says he is Passion, lots of emotion/passion free Koloss and Kandra, Miles Hundredlives talks about passion in AoL (and Trell), Thaylen follows the Passions... 

Does anybody think anything of it, or is it a false positive or negative or whatever the phrase is? A coincidence. Is it a coincidence?

Well, Odium has been to more places in the cosmere than readers have to date apparently, so it's possible some of these instances of the word "passion" cropping up relate to him, I'd caution against that somewhat as you still want things that either correlate to either things that involve hatred themselves or involve inspiring hatred in others. I'd also note that there may well be some religions around inspired by Odium that might actually not be under his indirect control anymore, as the downside of his strategy to move around a lot and to not tie his investiture too closely to any one planet is that he's probably relying largely on either splinters or minions to enforce his intent on his operations outside his current sphere of influence, and there's no guarantee his institutions won't just overthrow them if possible!

While it might be worth digging up a couple of likely candidates to ask Brandon about at signings or in online Q&As/conversations with Brandon, this is probably something we'll RAFO about. :)

First off, Brandon has told us that Rayse is not being completely honest wtih Dalinar or himself when he says that he should be 'Passion' rather than Odium. Second, we've asked this sort of question before and while some instances have been RAFO'd we also have explicit statements from Brandon that not all instances of a word related to a Shard is necessarily an indication of a link to that Shard, especially when they come in books set on other worlds. We have an explicit example with references to ambition in the context of Shu-Dereth not meaning to suggest any link to Ambition the Shard.

• Chaos locked this topic