Favorite Type Of Spren (or maybe envisioning new types)

AngryMistspren

21 hours ago, CrazyRioter said:

I'm curious about inkspren. 

Aren't we all? I just wish I could properly articulate what concept they represent. Something to do with how writing pushed civilization forward.

My favorite of the sapient spren are the cryptics though....personfications of the underlying mathmetics of the universe? Too cool.

Glory spren and awe spren are my favorite non sapient. Love those viauals of miniature suns forming when you do something amazing and your mind blowing when you see something awesome.

On 2/14/2019 at 2:45 PM, Quantus said:

Wow, the implications of that would be immense.  I wouldnt want to be one of the folks that has to deal with it, but it would be all kinds of interesting from a narrative perspective.  And I think it would fitin line with the theme that people should rush to judge or be too committed to what they think are the sides in this war.  We've already seen that it's not as clear cut as Human Vs Singer, and all kinds of old traditional boundaries are being challenged.  The emergence and/or actual Acceptance of a 4th Bondsmith spren, which was previously taboo, would be a hell of a can of worms, and Im guessing it would not be one the current spren cultures (most of them, anyway) would easily accept. 

Hold .. can there only be 3 bondsmiths at a time? What?

Also, I want to see keen spren and those intellect spren

Edited by Turin Turambar

Yup, there are only ever three: one for the Stormfather, one for the Nightwatcher, and one for their Sibling htat we know nothing else about.  They are the only ones powerful enough, however it's been theorized that there might be some Voidspren of Odium that could qualify as well (the unmade being the top candidates), which is why it was considered "seditious" to want to make more.  

But as for the Bondsmiths, they had members only three, which number was not uncommon for them; nor did they seek to increase this by great bounds, for during the times of Madasa, only one of their order was in continual accompaniment of Urithiru and its thrones. Their spren was understood to be specific, and to persuade them to grow to the magnitude of the other orders was seen as seditious. 

6 hours ago, Turin Turambar said:

Hold .. can there only be 3 bondsmiths at a time? What?

Yeah, there are only three Bondsmith spren. 

The Stormfather, the Nightwatcher, and The Sibling. 

Ghodicu

The pocket companion states that there are three spren that can bond a person to make them into a bondsmith, the Stormfather being one of them. As far as I recall the books implied that the number was low, and implied heavily that it was around that number in an epigraph, but didn't actually have a straight confirmation. So, should I take that as canon?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes, you can take that as canon. They came to me for that information.

yahasgaruna

Sweet. I guess it hasn't been canonized which three spren these are? I seem to recall that the prevailing theory on 17th Shard was that Nightwatcher was one of them, and the third was that weird spren with too many faces that Axies the Collector looked at in the tWoK interlude.

Brandon Sanderson

RAFO. :)

Stormlight Three Update #3 (Aug. 8, 2016)

Edited by Calderis

Alright, so I am currently re-reading Oathbringer for the third time, and I just came across the chapter with Shallans first (and only) encounter with Re-Shephir, and there was this one specific line of dialogue that fascinated me. I’m new to the forum, so I don’t know if this has been covered before, but the line in question is in Chapter 30, when Shallan gets to know Re-Shephir through a really surreal experience. Anyways, the exact thing that I’m talking about is this

Shallan knew Re-Shephir at the same time as the thing came to know her. The spren tugged and prodded at Shallan’s bond with Pattern, seeking to rip it free and insert herself instead. Pattern clung to Shallan, and she to him, holding on for dear life.

I don’t know. Re-Shephir is probably my favorite Unmade, (I can relate to her attempts to understand humanity) and I can’t help but wonder what would happen if she had managed to bond with Shallan. Any ideas?

• Chaos locked this topic