Stormlight addiction

Timothy

Using stormlight has been described as making the user want to move, act and on the second WoK chapter I think Szeth describes the sensation as "fury". Could some of the radiants of old have become addicted to stormlight? What about the surgebinders before Nohadon, where there weren't as many limits? It'd be interesting if Teft or someone else saw stormlight as an addiction.

On a side not, it's ironic that stormlight, which is supposedly from Honor, makes people more willing to act or passionate, while the shard of hate who mistakenly labels himself as Passion takes the passion out of his servants and leaves then a void instead.

Very probable, on a psychological level if not a a fully physical one, though the Soulcaster Savantism seems to have some elements of (or similarities to) addiction. 

I doubt it will happen to Teft, specifically, because he's so consciously against his Addiction and Id think (or maybe just hope, cause I like him) that he would not be as prone to try and replace one addiction with another.  Also because his use of stormlight is being more specifically monitored by his Spren, who is able to not let him use it if the use is not being properly motivated by a desire to Protect Others (as we saw Syl do with Kaladin a few times).

2 hours ago, Quantus said:

Very probable, on a psychological level if not a a fully physical one

I agree.  I see addiction to stormlight as mirroring Vin’s experience with pewter.  It wasn’t physically addicting, but she used it so much that when she wasn’t burning it she felt weak and uncoordinated.  So, she just kept using it more and more often.  

17 hours ago, IGetLIFTed said:

If you look in the books, there are times where Radiants suck in Stormlight just to calm/focus them, or to make them feel better, not to use it for endurance, healing, or Surgebinding.

I agree, It's going to be more on a psychological level. All Radiants are "broken" so the will be more likely get addicted to Stormlight then someone using a honorblade. They have more problems and will go to stormlight just for that increase in strength.

1 hour ago, Lilamal said:

Makes me wonder if there could perhaps be any side effects, like with Allomancy. In WoA and HoA Spook stretched his body way too far with his constant tin burning. Perhaps there could be a similar side effect for using too much stormlight?

I get the impression that the only side effects of using a little stormlight often would be feeling strange without it.

There are almost certainly side effecrs of holding too much at once, Jasnah says the body isn't meant for it. But whether its possible under normal circumstances or what the sode effects could be, I dont know.

I started a thread that talks about what might happen (here). After all, both White Sand and Mistborn have cases where overusing their power increases it. Surgbinding could very well have it's own form of savant-ism.

Edited by Lilamal

• Chaos locked this topic