Theory About Soulstamping Hoid

ebfritz

I was up late one wondering about whether soulstamps that rewrote the past of the recipient could potentially get rid of Hoid. Of course you would also have to convince him to use it daily, but that shouldn't be overly difficult. And then I realized something. Hoid would know of this threat, and likely take action to prevent it. I think i figured out what he did to make it an ineffective tactic to use against him. I think that it is possible that the reason Hoid wanted to become a lightweaver was not the power it granted him, but the oaths. When you rewrite some one's past they retain any powers they had, therefore radiant would continue to have their spren.  A lightweaver's spren would know their radiant's darkest secret's, because of the truths. Their spren could then remind them of their past and convince them to stop soulstamping themselves, causing them to return to normal. I am looking forward to seeing this theory being torn to shreds:lol:.

Edited by ebfritz

It would also be extremely difficult for anyone to create a soul stamp for Hoid, seeing how long he’s been alive and how mysterious he is. You would have to be extremely dedicated, and even then it might not be possible.

I do like the idea that having a spren could help prevent someone from being affected by a soulstamp, though... 

3 hours ago, ebfritz said:

If the persson making the soulstamp was a gold compounder that might help them make the stamp.

Allomantic gold lets you see your own past. Compounding gold is for healing. You might gain some benefit from Allomantic Malatium. It allows you to see other people’s pasts. Even still I think the insight would be pretty small compared to something like a personal memoir.

Good luck learning enough about Hoid's past to ever manage to get a stamp that would actually work on him, given that this would require you to learn about Yolen in general and more importantly, Hoid's own very mysterious history. Also, he's heavily (like, really heavily) Invested with a combination of magics which means it would be even harder to get a stamp to take. Probably requires more Investiture than a Forger normally has access to even assuming you could get a stamp that would work on Hoid in the first place.

3 hours ago, ebfritz said:

If the persson making the soulstamp was a gold compounder that might help them make the stamp.

Gold only helps you with your own past, Shai would find it useful for creating Essence Marks but it would do absolutely nothing for creating a stamp meant to affect someone else.

Oversleep [PENDING REVIEW]

How useful would gold Allomancy be for making Essence Marks?

Brandon Sanderson [PENDING REVIEW]

Useful.

Skype Q&A (Oct. 8, 2018)

Dirigible (paraphrased)

If Shai had a gold shadow, and she used one of her Essence Stamps, would her gold shadow change to reflect her new self?

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

Yes, because she is changing her soul so the gold shadow changes.

Arcanum Unbounded Fort Collins signing (Nov. 29, 2016)

Edited by Weltall

6 hours ago, SwordNimiForPresident said:

Allomantic gold lets you see your own past. Compounding gold is for healing. You might gain some benefit from Allomantic Malatium. It allows you to see other people’s pasts. Even still I think the insight would be pretty small compared to something like a personal memoir.

Malatium is what I meant. Oops.

That would require that he either get access to Selish magic (which is really hard) or tell a Forger an incredible amount of information about himself (which is unlikely). And on top of that, the stamps would be useless except in the regions of Sel close to MaiPon because Forgery, like all Selish magic, can't even be used planet-wide much less offworld.

• Chaos locked this topic