Aimia/Akinah Theory

Dizzy

I have a pretty weird but totally plausible (at least with my knowledge) theory about Aimia and Akinah. Here goes:

I think that Autonomy has an avatar there.

My first clue towards this is the Sleepless. They are a hive-minded group that literally break pieces of themselves off and send them to do certain things. This sounds JUST like Autonomy.

My second clue is more obvious - Autonomy has a vested interest in Odium and Odium's mission. Autonomy, in her letter to Hoid, writes that she "admire(s) his initiative." Odium being trapped would give Autonomy interest in Roshar, a reason to be there.

My third clue toward this theory is also located within her letter to Hoid. For full context, here's the letter:

"Cephandrius, bearer of the First Gem,
You must know better than to approach us by relying upon presumption of past relationship. You have spoken to one who cannot respond. We, instead, will take your communication to us – though we know not how you located us upon this world. We are indeed intrigued, for we thought it well hidden. Insignificant among our many realms. As the waves of the sea must continue to surge, so must our will continue resolute. 
Alone. 
Did you expect anything else from us? We need not suffer the interference of another. Rayse is contained, and we care not for his prison. Indeed, we admire his initiative. Perhaps if you had approached the correct one of us with your plea, it would have found favorable audience. But we stand in the sea, pleased with our domains. Leave us alone. We also instruct that you should not return to Obrodai. We have claimed that world, and a new avatar of our being is beginning to manifest there. She is young yet, and--as a precaution--she has been instilled with an intense and overpowering dislike of you. This is all we will say at this time. If you wish more, seek these waters in person and overcome the tests we have created.     
Only in this will you earn our respect."

Note the first paragraph. She claims that Hoid targeted an avatar who "cannot respond." This reminds me of the Kaza interlude in Oathbringer where the Sleepless cook says, "I cannot speak, even to sate a dying command. There are those who could pull secrets from your soul, and the cost would be the end of worlds."

Now lets look at the second paragraph. She speaks of being in the sea, which would make sense since Akinah is an island. She also speaks of a series of challenges that she has designed to presumably keep people out. This matches up well with Akinah; There is a storm that has sank many ships trying to approach, there are soulcast structures surrounding the island that not even a dinghy could get through, and there are also caverns underneath the city, possibly maze-like in structure. Who knows what other challenges there are.

We know that the letter mentions Obrodai, but is not sent from there because the writer refers to it as "that world" but refers to their location as "these waters." It should also be noted that Hoid intended for the letter to go somewhere else, but the current author intercepted it. If Hoid wrote the letter from Roshar, which I am almost positive that he did, then it would make sense that it also got intercepted on or near Roshar.

Anyways, tell me what you think. Is there anything else that supports this? Anything that directly contradicts it? I am really interested in the feedback this gets because it makes a ton of sense to me.

It's a good theory, especially about the author of the letter. Many people think that the author is actually Patji, the avatar on First of the Sun. This also fits the 'these waters' since the entire planet is a collection of islands, and the series of challenges that they speak of could mean how everything wants to kill you on Patji.

But, we should also address this point on the letter.

37 minutes ago, Dizzy said:

though we know not how you located us upon this world. We are indeed intrigued, for we thought it well hidden. Insignificant among our many realms.

Now, though they might be talking about how Hoid found them specifically on Roshar, the next part they say implies they were talking about the planet ("insignificant among our many realms"). They seem to be talking about the world when they see "we thought it well hidden" and they say it was insignificant.

This doesn't seem to match Roshar, which is more or less a major player in the Cosmere. It does match FotS, though, which is an extremely minor planet, with no Shards, that Autonomy was probably right in assuming would not be found because it was insignificant.

I'm also curious: why did you think the letter was intercepted?

Edited by I think I am here.

4 hours ago, Dizzy said:

the Sleepless cook says, "I cannot speak, even to sate a dying command. There are those who could pull secrets from your soul, and the cost would be the end of worlds."

I'm pretty sure this isn't meant that literally she couldn't speak. She's saying that to reveal her secrets would mean risking the enemy discovering them (think death rattles). Also, we believe Autonomy somehow aided Odium, and the sleepless were stated to have fought on the side of the KR during the desolations. (I feel like that came from the one in Edgedancer). 

It's a good theory though.

3 hours ago, I think I am here. said:

I'm also curious: why did you think the letter was intercepted?

"You must know better than to approach us by relying upon presumption of past relationship. You have spoken to one who cannot respond. We, instead, will take your communication to us – though we know not how you located us upon this world." to me this implies that the letter was meant for someone but another took it instead.

• Chaos locked this topic