Elantrian Magic

If you're clever enough to weaponize Aons in creative ways, you should be clever enough to use AonDor anywhere without power loss. At the moment, I'm imagining bringing an Aon Rao carbon-fiber thing with you on your back like a backpack... but that won't work once you leave Arelon.

If you're clever enough to weaponize Aons in creative ways, you should be clever enough to use AonDor anywhere without power loss. At the moment, I'm imagining bringing an Aon Rao carbon-fiber thing with you on your back like a backpack... but that won't work once you leave Arelon.

Not sure how well something like that would work. Aon Rao is a power amplifier, but it itself would also grow weaker the further you got from the giant Aon Rao that is Elantris. I suppose it would depend on the rate of power loss, in particular whether the loss is linear, exponential, quadratic, or logarithmic. By the same principle we have no idea how the power amplification of Aon Rao works and on what scale it boosts other Aons. We just don't have anywhere near enough information to know how useful an Aon Rao would work in such a situation.

Not sure how well something like that would work. Aon Rao is a power amplifier, but it itself would also grow weaker the further you got from the giant Aon Rao that is Elantris. I suppose it would depend on the rate of power loss, in particular whether the loss is linear, exponential, quadratic, or logarithmic. By the same principle we have no idea how the power amplification of Aon Rao works and on what scale it boosts other Aons. We just don't have anywhere near enough information to know how useful an Aon Rao would work in such a situation.

Alright, how about recursive Aon Raos? A big backpack Aon Rao, but in the middle of that is a smaller Aon Rao, and then a smaller one inside of that, each multiplying the power of further Aons. Boom, super-power. Or, maybe you can find some way to use Aon TIa to create a permanent portal between your location and Elantris, and Elantris' power flows through that. You could set up a network of gateways, since you'd need a lot of power to get one...

There's a lot you can speculate on! And unfortunately, we can test none of it.

(I have no clue how Sel works everything on it is weird.)

Edited by Moogle

Alright, how about recursive Aon Raos? A big backpack Aon Rao, but in the middle of that is a smaller Aon Rao, and then a smaller one inside of that, each multiplying the power of further Aons. Boom, super-power. Or, maybe you can find some way to use Aon TIa to create a permanent portal between your location and Elantris, and Elantris' power flows through that. You could set up a network of gateways, since you'd need a lot of power to get one...

There's a lot you can speculate on! And unfortunately, we can test none of it.

(I have no clue how Sel works everything on it is weird.)

I like the gateway for power idea. Maybe some way to combine Aon Tia with Aon Rao to transfer power from Elantris across distances.

• 4 weeks later...

So random idea i just had for combat aons. Assuming the culture advances enough for clockwork, basically have a disc about hand sized with clock "hands" on it that take the shape such as ) and ( and + and - and so one. One the side or back of the disc is dials, or buttons. You could have pre-programmed configurations that at a press of a button, the hands would rotate and make the form of an aon that you then tap to use. Regarding teleportation, the dials would correspond to the line that would determine distance, height, etc. Then maybe have a list of coordinates that correspond to the dial numbers or also have presents already set in, and turn the dials, or press the buttons and whala teleport away without risk of death. Thoughts? 

Edited by Pathfinder

oh i was going on the premise that people were mentioning tattoos. i assumed that as long as you were an elantian and had the proper symbol you could empower it. the time piece wouldnt be drawing each piece. i meant that it would be like a puzzle. press once configuration, and the symbols would rotate till they formed the aon, and then you would power it so you wouldnt have to take the time drawing them. but again that was based on a misunderstood interpretation of what you all were speaking of regarding tattoos. 

We know any Elantrian can ACTIVATE an Aon drawn by another Elantrian, like Tia. We do not yet know if an Elantrian can activate literally anything the shape of the proper Aon. I would personally be surprised, since the act of drawing it seems important, but technically anything is possible.

So heres another question, and this is due to my own lack of knowledge on the subject so all of this has been educational. If hypothetically at this point in time, we go on the idea that an aon must be drawn, is there a limit to its uses? Like if i draw an aon on a piece of paper and then use it, does the paper burn up? if i carve it into stone, does it crack or go inert after use? LOL i just thought of an awesome idea! assuming the technology for it, a programmable etch a sketch! if you press the button are you technically drawing the aon? lol

We know that the Aon Tia (teleportation) is set up around the city, and that any Elantrian can touch the Aon and teleport around the city. So, we know there are Aons which can be made once, but activated over and over again.

This is subtly different from the light aons which appear to simply turn on and then never go off.

Eh. I find AonDor to be overpowered already. Removing one of the only limiting factors in a quest to make it even stronger/easier strikes me as something that would make the system worse, not better.

One of Brandon Sanderson's own rules states that strong limitations makes for strong characters. I hope AonDor cannot be powered up quite this easily.

• Chaos locked this topic