A niptick regarding Shard Plates/Blades

kroen

As I understand it, Blades can stop one another indefinitely without cracking/breaking. So, why weren't the Plates made from the same material/constructed the same way as Blades so that they would be completely unbreakable? is this a deus ex machina?

Edited by kroen

I assume you haven't read Words of Radiance, so I am just going to say that there is something very special about Shardblades, and from what we understand (read: not much), this specialness doesn't apply to Plate.

Haven't read WoR, but why the one who made the Plates didn't make them as special or whatever as the Blades? is there actually a believable reason? if the answer isn't too spoilery (as in, not a twist or a major plot device) then I'd like to know.

Edited by kroen

Haven't read WoR, but why the one who made the Plates didn't make them as special or whatever as the Blades? is there actually a believable reason? if the answer isn't too spoilery (as in, not a twist or a major plot device) then I'd like to know.

They did not have sufficient available specialness.

One big problem (to not be too spoilery) is that Shardplate is really a bunch of separate objects interlocking. Shardblades are one piece, and they don't appear to be capable of being made in multiple pieces like Plate is required to be. If a Radiant were to get Shardplate made like a Shardblade, they wouldn't be able to move in it, because it would have to be one piece.

Of course, with Gravity, that wouldnt stop some Radiants from being able to be a whirlwind of invincible death, but it would seriously hamper movement.

Also, I wouldn't be so sure Shardblades are indestructible. I suspect there's ways to break them, and it seems plausible that Odium might know of them.

Edited by Moogle

• Chaos locked this topic