Can we now call Dalinar Gibletish? (Spoilers)

Trons

So, I'm rereading TWoK's and I came across a bit that may or not be foreshadowing by Wit.  It's when Wit is talking to Dalinar on the Kings Island at the feast the night Sadeas is going to report the findings of his investigation and Wit is telling Dalinar he's leaving. 

I wonder if you could do that to a man.  Pull him apart, emotion by emotion, bit by bit, bloody chunk by bloody chunk.  Then combine them back together into something else, like a Dysian Aimian.  If you put a man together like that, Dalinar, be sure to name him Gibberish, after me.  Or perhaps Gibletish.

Since I recently read OB, this struck me as what Dalinar did when Odium was trying to recruit him.  Dalinar pulled himself apart and put himself back together again when he was forgiven.  Could be reading too much into it, but thought it was interesting.

I'm not sure how to add the reference point, but it's page 933 of the paperback version i have.

I did search and couldn't find another topic on this, so if I missed it, I'm sorry.  Be nice, first theory.

Edited by Trons

The "Gibletish" thing has two different levels, and I'm not sure how intentional or aware Hoid was of the deeper one. 

The first was the straightforward and honest one. 

I know,” Wit said, then looked directly at him. “Adonalsium.”Dalinar frowned more deeply. “What?”Wit searched his face. “Have you ever heard the term, Dalinar?”

“Ado…what?”“Nothing,” Wit said. He seemed preoccupied, unlike his usual self. “Nonsense. Balderdash. Figgldygrak. Isn’t it odd that gibberish words are often the sounds of other words, cut up and dismembered, then stitched into something like them—yet wholly unlike them at the same time?"

Dalinar frowned.

“I wonder if you could do that to a man. Pull him apart, emotion by emotion, bit by bit, bloody chunk by bloody chunk. Then combine them back together into something else, like a Dysian Aimian. If you do put a man together like that, Dalinar, be sure to name him Gibberish, after me. Or perhaps Gibletish.”

He said the name of Adonalsium expecting Dalinar to recognize it, and when Dalinar didn't he buried it under a pile of seeming nonsense. 

On the deeper level, I think that the previous mention of Adonalsium makes me think that it is where his brain went. 

The 16 took a person and ripped it apart. If you put those pieces back together, how similar would the reconstruction actually be. 

And in the same way, this would apply to the Shards as well. If I'm right about Unity being a reinterpretation of Honor, then Dalinar is on track to try and answer Hoid's rhetorical question. 

2 hours ago, Calderis said:

On the deeper level, I think that the previous mention of Adonalsium makes me think that it is where his brain went. 

The 16 took a person and ripped it apart. If you put those pieces back together, how similar would the reconstruction actually be. 

And in the same way, this would apply to the Shards as well. If I'm right about Unity being a reinterpretation of Honor, then Dalinar is on track to try and answer Hoid's rhetorical question. 

I really like this portion, but I like it for showing a glimpse of what Hoid's end goal will be. I think Hoid is trying to recombine parts of all 16 Shards into his own Shard that doesn't have an Intent, so he can continue to be himself while simultaneously holding divine power. This is also the reason why I think he turned down the opportunity to be one of the 16 so long ago.

So him musing about putting the 16 back together, and how similar it would be is him musing on if he's actually going to accomplish his audacious goal, or if he'll get the balance wrong and not know it until it's all put back together.

In any case, Gibletish is one of the most important scenes in the books, simply for the mention of Adonalsium.

“I wonder if you could do that to a man. Pull him apart, emotion by emotion, bit by bit, bloody chunk by bloody chunk. Then combine them back together into something else, like a Dysian Aimian. If you do put a man together like that, Dalinar, be sure to name him Gibberish, after me. Or perhaps Gibletish.”

On un-serious side note... I can't help but have this vision in my head, where Dalinar put back Honor - or himself - together again and say, 'I am Gibletish', as the thousands of gloryspren arrive.

4 hours ago, Casta said:

On un-serious side note... I can't help but have this vision in my head, where Dalinar put back Honor - or himself - together again and say, 'I am Gibletish', as the thousands of gloryspren arrive.

Yeah, that's kind of how I was envisioning it. 

14 hours ago, Rainier said:

I really like this portion, but I like it for showing a glimpse of what Hoid's end goal will be. I think Hoid is trying to recombine parts of all 16 Shards into his own Shard that doesn't have an Intent, so he can continue to be himself while simultaneously holding divine power. This is also the reason why I think he turned down the opportunity to be one of the 16 so long ago.

So him musing about putting the 16 back together, and how similar it would be is him musing on if he's actually going to accomplish his audacious goal, or if he'll get the balance wrong and not know it until it's all put back together.

In any case, Gibletish is one of the most important scenes in the books, simply for the mention of Adonalsium.

I hadn't thought of this aspect of it.  Thank you.

• Chaos locked this topic