First gem location

in the epigraphs of WoK the writer, presumably Hoid, states 

Let me first assure you that the element is quite safe. I have found a good home for it. I protect its safety like I protect my own skin, you might say.

Given that this letter is most likely written by Hoid, and Hoid is thought to be the bearer of the first gem, it is safe to assume at this point that the element is the first gem. This quote leads me to assume that the first gem currently resides WITHIN Hoids body. We know Hoid has incredible regenerative properties, and according to a WOB somewhere that Hoid is ridiculously hard to kill, hiding the gem inside himself may have been seen as a relatively safe hiding place for it.

The "element" is the lerasium that he took from the well. 

little wilson (paraphrased)

Brandon confirmed that "the element" is the bead of lerasium. Which confirms both this theory, and the theory that Hoid wrote the letter.

When I asked the question, I also thought the element and the lerasium were different. I asked it as a "Hoid clearly has a habit for taking important items. He has the bead of lerasium and the element. What other items does he have that we should know about?"

Brandon Sanderson (paraphrased)

Brandon's response was that the bead and the element are the same. And that he has many items he should not have.

source

Frost does separately refer to the gem in those letters though. 

14 minutes ago, Kaladin_The_Stormblessed said:

in the epigraphs of WoK the writer, presumably Hoid, states 

Given that this letter is most likely written by Hoid, and Hoid is thought to be the bearer of the first gem, it is safe to assume at this point that the element is the first gem. This quote leads me to assume that the first gem currently resides WITHIN Hoids body. We know Hoid has incredible regenerative properties, and according to a WOB somewhere that Hoid is ridiculously hard to kill, hiding the gem inside himself may have been seen as a relatively safe hiding place for it.

Don't we know that the element is Lerasium? Or was that just the general assumption? All knowing WoB beings I summon thee.

I don't think that we should take "bearer of the first gem" literally. It sounds like a metaphor to me.

Think it's more referring to probably a position of prestige or power. As hoid being somebody who first held it (could possibly mean first bearer of power or whatever that power is).

13 minutes ago, goody153 said:

I don't think that we should take "bearer of the first gem" literally. It sounds like a metaphor to me.

Think it's more referring to probably a position of prestige or power. As hoid being somebody who first held it (could possibly mean first bearer of power or whatever that power is).

It is for sure a literal title. Bearer of the first gem is a very specific. It wouldn't make any sense to be metaphorical. He isn't metaphorically bearing the first gem. It is a specific item of importance that Hoid was tasked with.

Have you given up on the gemstone, now that it is dead?

It is likely why Hoid was once called Topaz.

Edited by Fatikis

Have you given up on the gemstone, now that that it is dead?

That could easily mean a person of importance or it could even mean adonalsium or an abstract construct of great power. Somebody or something that Hoid already lost and he is seemingly seeking to bring back(Traveler Story where Frost says this to Hoid). 

Not a literal object.

The response also sounds like taunting by Endowment to Hoid of trying to bring back something that is already gone. A sneer on Hoid's inability to move forward from the past.

I would not take stuff like this to literal sense unless stated so

Edited by goody153

3 minutes ago, goody153 said:

Not a literal object.

At one point at least, it definitely was. 

ParadoxicalZen

The Second Letter, Frost mentions a gemstone, is that in the Moon Scepter?

Brandon Sanderson

No, good question. That is a topaz, which was associated with him for a long time and had some mystical properties.

source

11 minutes ago, goody153 said:

That could easily mean a person of importance or it could even mean adonalsium or an abstract construct of great power. Somebody or something that Hoid already lost and he is seemingly seeking to bring back(Traveler Story where Frost says this to Hoid). 

Not a literal object.

The response also sounds like taunting by Endowment to Hoid of trying to bring back something that is already gone. A sneer on Hoid's inability to move forward from the past.

I would not take stuff like this to literal sense unless stated so

I have no response. What you've said makes so little sense I cannot argue with it. Bearer of the first gem is directly stating it to be a literal gem. Gone dark shows this is a literal gem. There is no argument to be had here. The gem is a gem. Not a metaphorical gem. I don't even know how one bears a metaphorical gem.

Hoid was called Topaz, if the Topaz has a cultural significance on Yolen, is possible to be called "bearer of the first Gem" for the name alone.

The part about giving up the gemstone after a death is still a reference to his name.

As Hoid changed his name to... Hoid when his master (Hoid) died. So he give up the gemstone name (Topaz) when the master died and he now is knowed as Hoid.... If I don't remember wrong the letter contiines talking again of his name but this time the current one he is using on Roshar (Wit)

On 8/23/2018 at 1:27 AM, Fatikis said:

I have no response. What you've said makes so little sense I cannot argue with it. Bearer of the first gem is directly stating it to be a literal gem. Gone dark shows this is a literal gem. There is no argument to be had here. The gem is a gem. Not a metaphorical gem. I don't even know how one bears a metaphorical gem.

That's quite easy. Gem can easily mean a methaporical sense for something precious/powerful. Unless you've never read other literary stuff besides cosmere and that you found that wob before you even read that part or formulated some thoughts over it. 

Again my point is disproved because of the authors word but without it it could easily mean that. 

• Chaos locked this topic