*Spoilers* Question about Shards and gender, shattering, and numbering.

snote

Shades can pass through walls and any other object not made of silver, Identity plays no obvious role. Shades are closer to Spren then to storm light or mist. They are in theory beings of cognitive and spiritual realms trapped in the physical realm.

They might also be willing to change to how the human requesting the change "wants" to view them. If that is the case, it makes me wonder if the change is ever denied. That the soul casting is vetoed by the item, just based on what they are requested to change into. So, that instead of a stick, it changes its perceived identity to become fire... or remain a stubborn chull stupid stick!

The kind of gem stone the storm light is filtered through I believe has an effect on what you can change an object into. I think it has more to do with the fact that a stick my not inherently have any idea what fire is and needs a guide. I have always thought that was the idea behind the 10 essences. 

I'm increasingly of the opinion that there are only 10 Allomantic metals: the 8 Pulling metals, Atium, and Lerasium. The Pushing metals are all alloys. This also makes sense considering that Brandon said that there are more undiscovered metals and that we know that there are a large number of alloys for Lerasium (it can be alloyed with each of the other metals to create Mistings).

The Hemalurgic uses of the metals seem to follow the pattern, with the alloys being subsets of the primary metal.

The Feruchemic uses of the metals are a little more obscure, but I'm not sure that they break the pattern.

The kind of gem stone the storm light is filtered through I believe has an effect on what you can change an object into. I think it has more to do with the fact that a stick my not inherently have any idea what fire is and needs a guide. I have always thought that was the idea behind the 10 essences. 

I do believe you're correct. I'd forgotten about Yasnah needing a Garnet, I think, to heal Shallan's poisoning. Because it was the correct stone to do blood casting. Which was also one of the ten essences. That hierarchy aside. Like when she said that blood wasn't the same as jam, "A paste made from a fruit, I've never before tasted." wasn't her expertise, because it was an "organic". That leads me to believe that the soulcaster has to hold the idea in their head when requesting the change. Meaning that you can't just tell the item you desire to change to become "X" thing. It has to be a thing like, something's "true essence" in the "Inheritance Cycle". It isn't just a matter of simply having an idea of something, but truly knowing it's every facet and nuance. That's why the goblet changed to blood for Shallan. She wasn't intending to make the goblet anything. Yet, she was holding the gemstone that's essence was blood. Like you mentioned.

Oh, you were talking about seeing yourself? That's Gold. I thought you were talking about seeing others, which is Malatium.

I lost whatever train of thought lead me, in order to bring that question up. I think I wanted to know what the core idea behind someone's "identity" was. Maybe how identity related to a Gold or Malatium image. Was one like "seen" self versus "perceived" self. Was one who you could be and one who you were? I enjoyed the Mistborn books, but they weren't something I devoured and overly consumed like I have done with the SA. I have either completely missed what the answers were to those questions or completely forgotten. lol. Thank you for taking the time to help me understand, though. I'm nothing, if not appreciative.

• Chaos locked this topic