[OB] Dawnshards

Wayers

I don't think I heard it somewhere. But as we still don't know where and who are all the 16 shards, is it possible the the Dawnshards hold Shards of Adonalsium in some way? I mean it would be very useful to hold the power of a Shard without the consequences of losing yourself to the Shard's nature. And the Dawnshard are said to be tools the could destroy world, I can't imagine anything so powerful than Shards themselves. 

Just a thought I had and I wanted to hear what you thought about it or if you have any ideas that could hold better than mine. 

4 hours ago, Wayers said:

is it possible the the Dawnshards hold Shards of Adonalsium in some way?

The Dor is the Cognitive Realm of an entire planet, a planet that's 1.5 times bigger than Earth. And it it full to bursting with the power of two Shards, compressing that energy into an almost plasma-like state.

For a Single Shard, that'd take up a Cognitive Area equivalent to at least 0.75 times the size of the Earth. I can't imagine the Dawnshards are even remotely big enough to hold that much power. If we assume the "Stone of Ten Dawns" story referred to the origin of the Dawnshards, they might only have to hold 1/10 of the Shard each(but that's still quite a lot).

For Reference, Szeth absorbs enough Stormlight at one point that it feels like it's ripping him apart from the inside. He had that much Stormlight available to him in the Gem Pouch he carried with him. Maybe a Dawnshard can hold Investiture better than he can, but it'd still have to be bigger than he is to hold any meaningful chunk of Shardic Energy.

5 hours ago, Wayers said:

tools that could destroy the world, I can't imagine anything so powerful other than the Shards themselves.

You'd be surprised. The Well of Ascension is only a fraction of a Shard's total energy, but it's still enough to move a planet with. Nightblood is strong enough to damage a Shard.

50 minutes ago, The One Who Connects said:

The Dor is the Cognitive Realm of an entire planet, a planet that's 1.5 times bigger than Earth. And it it full to bursting with the power of two Shards, compressing that energy into an almost plasma-like state.

For a Single Shard, that'd take up a Cognitive Area equivalent to at least 0.75 times the size of the Earth. I can't imagine the Dawnshards are even remotely big enough to hold that much power. If we assume the "Stone of Ten Dawns" story referred to the origin of the Dawnshards, they might only have to hold 1/10 of the Shard each(but that's still quite a lot).

For Reference, Szeth absorbs enough Stormlight at one point that it feels like it's ripping him apart from the inside. He had that much Stormlight available to him in the Gem Pouch he carried with him. Maybe a Dawnshard can hold Investiture better than he can, but it'd still have to be bigger than he is to hold any meaningful chunk of Shardic Energy.

You'd be surprised. The Well of Ascension is only a fraction of a Shard's total energy, but it's still enough to move a planet with. Nightblood is strong enough to damage a Shard.

But what if you were to have 10 gas giants in your system...

Just now, Journey Before Pancakes said:

But what if you were to have 10 gas giants in your system...

They barely register in the Cognitive Realm though. Shardic energy isn't exactly something you can hide.

Brandon Sanderson
The presence of a Shard warps Shadesmar much as large objects warp the physical realm (gravitation.) So if you know how to look, it's not hard to find them.

Brandon Sanderson [PENDING REVIEW]
Uhm, it starts to be really difficult to define when you're getting to these points because they generally are such massive wells of Investiture themselves that it's like, is this thing they're creating, like, they are kinda, y'know, bending the three Realms around them like spacetime with lots of gravity so—

back to the original question, no I do not believe the dawnshards are Shards. They are the only other thing to have destroyed a planet or at least damaged it, but they are non sentient. The Shardcast people came up with the theory that the dawnshards are on Akinah, part of Aimiah. I happen to agree. If you wanna find out more listen to "Aimia and Akinah" shardcast episode.

Goodluck

• Chaos locked this topic