[OB] Rlain Bondsmith theory

How do we know she’s not granted access to the surges? 

Can you explain? 

Regardless, I think that Rlain is currently a windrunnner squire. We’re left in OB feeling sorry for him because he feels like an outcast and the lingering question everyone has from that point on is whether he is able bond an honor spren or not. 

Venli bonding Timbre is what seems like Sanderson’s way of answering the question of Rlain in a roundabout way and then he’s mentioned by Lopen passingly afterwards as someone who belongs to “us” meaning those trying to become radiant not just members of bridge 4. So I think Rlain will in fact manifest surgebinding abilities apart from evidence that the bond listeners/singers have with radiant spren is vastly different from the nahel bond. 

1 hour ago, Soby said:

How do we know she’s not granted access to the surges?

In case I wasn’t clear, Venli will have access, but only through timbre and not through her other spren, who is as we know in her gemheart, and thus not nahel bonded. This other spren we know does not grant surges because Venli does not use surges, and is considered to be a lower class of singer by the Regals because of it.

9 minutes ago, Kramerfarve said:

In case I wasn’t clear, Venli will have access, but only through timbre and not through her other spren, who is as we know in her gemheart, and thus not nahel bonded. This other spren we know does not grant surges because Venli does not use surges, and is considered to be a lower class of singer by the Regals because of it.

The point being made was that she could be a dual Radiant by bonding a Bondsmith Spren and Timbre. I dont think anyome meant to imply the envoyform spren grants surges.

While Rlain's position between the Singers and Humans gives him a good position to live the second Bondsmith ideal, he isn't.

Being between two worlds isnt enough, "uniting" instead of dividing is active. Rlain has shown no real desire to step into that role, making his unique position moot.

21 hours ago, Ookla the Mind Sculptor said:

The point being made was that she could be a dual Radiant by bonding a Bondsmith Spren and Timbre. I dont think anyome meant to imply the envoyform spren grants surges.

While Rlain's position between the Singers and Humans gives him a good position to live the second Bondsmith ideal, he isn't.

Being between two worlds isnt enough, "uniting" instead of dividing is active. Rlain has shown no real desire to step into that role, making his unique position moot.

Peter says there is a reason Rlain was missing for the last part of OB, Here.  I think he is being active, off screen for now.

33 minutes ago, Lidolas said:

Peter says there is a reason Rlain was missing for the last part of OB, Here.  I think he is being active, off screen for now.

Yeah, I was unclear. He is active, I jusf dont think he is actively doing Bondsmith type stuff. I don't even think finding and leading his people would count, or every monarch in the alliance could be a Bondsmith.

• Chaos locked this topic