[OB] Is there a connection here or just a sneaky joke by Sanderson?

Slimy_Slider

Question

4 answers to this question

2 hours ago, Agent34 said:

This should have [OB] at the start of the title as it deals with things in Oathbringer.

I think it's a coincidence. Aonic names have the Aon (Such as Kiin for Aon Kii) in it so she would have changed her name upon reaching Roshar if she was indeed from Sel.

Plus all the Aons are 2 syllables.  Kii is not pronounced like Ki, it'd be more like Ki-i

This should have [OB] at the start of the title as it deals with things in Oathbringer.

I think it's a coincidence. Aonic names have the Aon (Such as Kiin for Aon Kii) in it so she would have changed her name upon reaching Roshar if she was indeed from Sel.

On 5/26/2018 at 3:28 AM, Dunkum said:

Plus all the Aons are 2 syllables.  Kii is not pronounced like Ki, it'd be more like Ki-i

Oh, that's actually really interesting, I didn't know that.  I've always wondered about the spelling of Kiin's name because I just think a double-i looks ugly, instead of saying "Keen."

As far as the question is concerned, I don't think there's a connection.  People speculate a lot about characters that appear in different cosmere books whose names bear a similarity to a certain Aon, but I think that most of them are coincidences, because the Aons use such simple letter combinations, so they're bound to pop up once or twice in the names of non-Selish people.

On 5/27/2018 at 3:27 PM, Llarimar said:

As far as the question is concerned, I don't think there's a connection.  People speculate a lot about characters that appear in different cosmere books whose names bear a similarity to a certain Aon, but I think that most of them are coincidences, because the Aons use such simple letter combinations, so they're bound to pop up once or twice in the names of non-Selish people.

Brandon has confirmed this on multiple occasions. In the case of Aons the most obvious example is Ati. It's a coincidence that there happens to be a prominent character sharing a name with the Aon, having to do with the Aon being derived from a real-world person that Brandon wanted to write into a story and that particular combination of syllables was the only one that he could have used. Other examples he's mentioned offhand are Roshar and Nalthis both having a letter/glyhp named 'shash', Baon's name sounding Selish and Kalad sounding similar to Kalak.

So yeah, sometimes in the Cosmere, a coincidence really is a coincidence. xD