As I was re-reading WoK, I noticed Taravangian say something odd. When he revealed himself to Szeth, he says “Sometimes I wonder if the Lifebrother himself sent you to me.”

To which Szeth replied, “To bloody myself so that you wouldn’t have to. Yes, that sounds like something one of your Vorin gods would do.

Knowing that people associate Stormfather with Jezrien, who is worshipped in Vorinism, could the Lifebrother be the Sibling?

The name pattern is similar. Stormfather, Nightwatcher, and now Lifebrother. And if the Sibling was necessary for “life” to survive on Urithiru, then the name is also appropriate.

I haven’t seen any other reference to this outside of this scene. So the question is, could the Lifebrother be the Sibling? 

Edited by Temoo

Huh. Can't say that I've ever thought about this. It doesn't fit quite as nicely - the Vorin don't really worship the Stormfather, and they definitely don't worship the Nightwatcher, so Szeth wouldn't call the Lifebrother "one of your Vorin gods" if he were putting him on the same tier as the other two. But the naming pattern does fit, and it fits well. Additionally, the Vorin religious doesn't really have "gods", it has the Almighty, and it has the Heralds. So why would Szeth say "one of your Vorin gods" if he knows - or should know - that the Vorin doesn't have gods? I think my initial read of this had me assuming that Szeth doesn't really understand Vorinism, and so he calls the Heralds gods - but since Taravangian brings up the name, that requires him too to refer to one of the Heralds as "Lifebrother", which he wouldn't do in his native language; the conversation could still be in the Shin language (which they had just both used, so that could work), and the Shin could have names like this for the Heralds... but at this point it's getting convoluted. 

There's also the problem with the Sibling's apparent gender neutrality in Oathbringer, but maybe they weren't as fleshed out in The Way of Kings.

So I think there are problems with this idea, but I really really like it, and it could yet work. 

Also, I am moving this to the OB spoiler board.

• Argent changed the title to [OB] Lifebrother?
Guest Breaker

That's really interesting, as a possible identity for the sibling. But, as a quick correction, it's Nightwatcher, not Nightcrawler. 

2 minutes ago, Breaker said:

That's really interesting, as a possible identity for the sibling. But, as a quick correction, it's Nightwatcher, not Nightcrawler. 

Thanks! I’ll edit that now. 

I had forgotten about the Lifebrother thing, and I think that's a really good guess. Although I have some hesitation to accept the NW as the second sibling, so if she's not, he could also be the second sibling we know next to nothing about.

The other thing to remember here is that Brandon said this about Taravangian's religious tendencies:

Taravangian would claim to be an atheist, but what he’s done is taken something nonreligious and ascribed religion to it, sort of like Confucianism, where something that was a philosophy is turning into a religion.

So Szeth might have been jumping to conclusions about the Lifebrother being a Vorin diety. Which would be a point toward the theory that he's just a spren and not necessarily something Heraldic status.

Edited by Stormlightning

9 hours ago, Stormlightning said:

So Szeth might have been jumping to conclusions about the Lifebrother being a Vorin diety. Which would be a point toward the theory that he's just a spren and not necessarily something Heraldic status.

The Sibling would be a spren though, albeit a very powerful one.

• Chaos locked this topic