Eurovision Song Contest 2018

Can't wait for Saturday to arrive. I missed last year's show, but did catch the tail end to see Portugal win, so this should be my second full show.

Also China's broadcasting rights were revoked after they censored the first semi-final by editing Albania for tattoos and skipping Ireland for the performers doing something homosexual in nature or something that triggered China's homophobia. There were other things cut or blurred that involved LGBT and the rainbow flag so I'm glad the EBU didn't take this sitting down.

Not sure who I want to see win but I'm surprised that Denmark made it. That was the only song I listened to, my girlfriend lives there, and I didn't care for it that much so I'm surprised.

3 hours ago, Draginon said:

Not sure who I want to see win but I'm surprised that Denmark made it. That was the only song I listened to, my girlfriend lives there, and I didn't care for it that much so I'm surprised.

I really like Denmark :-) I’m from Sweden, so I’m happy 4/5 scandinavian countries made it.

5 hours ago, Toaster Retribution said:

I really like Denmark :-) I’m from Sweden, so I’m happy 4/5 scandinavian countries made it.

Now that's shocking :0 (I know about the stereotype of Swedes and Danes not getting along) I was surprised when none of the Nords made it two years ago, not counting Sweden for obvious reasons. I do kind of wish Iceland would win just so that all 5 Nords can say they've won.

You know I've wondered how the judging in the semifinals would go if one of the big 5 was the winner since the big 5 and the winner are the judges. Would he winner judge for both semifinals?

7 hours ago, Draginon said:

Now that's shocking :0 (I know about the stereotype of Swedes and Danes not getting along) I was surprised when none of the Nords made it two years ago, not counting Sweden for obvious reasons. I do kind of wish Iceland would win just so that all 5 Nords can say they've won.

You know I've wondered how the judging in the semifinals would go if one of the big 5 was the winner since the big 5 and the winner are the judges. Would he winner judge for both semifinals?

I think a big part of the stereotype is the danish language. A lot of swedes thinks it sounds really bad :-) It would be nice if Iceland won though. 

I don’t know actually. Maybe the runner-up would get to judge as well?

6 hours ago, Toaster Retribution said:

I think a big part of the stereotype is the danish language. A lot of swedes thinks it sounds really bad :-) It would be nice if Iceland won though. 

I don’t know actually. Maybe the runner-up would get to judge as well?

The whole 'they sound like they're speaking with a potato in their mouths' is something I learned from the Scandinavia and the World comics. And with them either not making finals or just losing they either need to up their game or hope everyone else sucks. You know my gf hopes the same and also hopes Sweden doesn't win again anytime soon because of how many times you guys have won and there being so many who haven't and would rather see every country get a chance to host.

Guess we need to check what the rules say on that one.

7 hours ago, Draginon said:

The whole 'they sound like they're speaking with a potato in their mouths' is something I learned from the Scandinavia and the World comics. And with them either not making finals or just losing they either need to up their game or hope everyone else sucks. You know my gf hopes the same and also hopes Sweden doesn't win again anytime soon because of how many times you guys have won and there being so many who haven't and would rather see every country get a chance to host.

Guess we need to check what the rules say on that one.

Yeah. I saw a swedish joke once saying that danish isn’t a language. It’s a throat infection (I have nothing against the dabes though, they are nice).

I obviously don’t agree with your girlfriend when it comes to Sweden winning (I hope we do) but I think Cyprus or Israel will win.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/12/2018 at 4:47 PM, Toaster Retribution said:

Yeah. I saw a swedish joke once saying that danish isn’t a language. It’s a throat infection (I have nothing against the dabes though, they are nice).

I obviously don’t agree with your girlfriend when it comes to Sweden winning (I hope we do) but I think Cyprus or Israel will win.

Sorry it took a while to reply. I wanted to watch the final before replying back.

Pretty much her point is that Sweden's won 6 times while a bunch haven't won at all and would rather see everyone get a chance to win. It's not just a Sweden thing, she thinks Ireland and U.K. shouldn't win anytime soon since they've won more than you guys.

Anyway here's my thoughts on the final

Spoiler

Eurovision thoughts:

Preshow:

Hello sailors!

It's the parade of nations!

(Slovenia) Elsa??

(Norway) Looks like he's thinking 'Don't fart'

(Germany) Hello Carrot Top!

(France) Are the trench coats big enough?

(Czech Republic) NERD!!!!!

(Denmark) Why are they scratching each other's beards? Why are the commentators even more puzzled?

(Australia) Is she wearing a trash bag?

(Finland) Spine necklace!?

(Bulgaria) Lady Gaga meets Sia

(Moldova) Prom night!

(Sweden) So shiny

(Hungary) Are they redneck casual?

(Israel) Looks like a Japanese induced nightmare mixed with lava

(The Netherlands) Playa!!!

Why the commentators got to call the contest a drag pageant?

Ukraine: Commentators making bad puns on his name. In a coffin? Oh it's a piano. Woah fire. Good song

Spain: They sound tone deaf and make me want to sleep with their singing. Not a very good song or performance.

Slovenia: Love her pink hair! She got the moves like jagger. Svale Ne! Loved the song and performance.

Lithuania: Candlelight vigil. Ghosts! She can be soft and loud when singing. An okay song.

Austria: Watch out for the bikes! Is he floating above the pits of hell? Sing my brother sing! Good song.

Estonia: Beautiful castle. She's frozen to the stage! She's sorcerer Mickey! Her dress is exploding! Loved her song and performance.

Norway: Air instruments alert. Visually pleasing on TV so how did it look in person without the graphics? Where'd that violin come from? I liked this one.

Portugal: How can two people singing still sound like one is singing??? Didn't really like this song that much.

Green room intermission: Wow at Estonia's vocal exercise. Those Eurovision theme 'lyrics' XD

United Kingdom: Love that tea making video. Like that set piece. I loved that song!

Green Room intermission: Interesting interview with Ukraine. I'm surprised he needed a translator.

Serbia: Middle Eastern sound meets techno! Loved this song!

Germany: Don't really like this song that much. His voice is so-so. Reminds me of songs from the early 2000's I didn't like.

Albania: I like his outfit very much. I liked the song the more it went on.

France: I like these outfits more than the trench coats. In the words of Uncle Jesse 'Have Mercy'

Czech Republic: Kidnapped by pinatas. Here's my lie, I hate it ;) Shake dat booty!

Denmark: Liked the video beforehand. Is it snowing? Don't really like the song that much.

Australia: Why is Australia still part of EUROvision? I'm divided, I both love and hate this song. She keeps dancing like she can't dance.

Green room intermission: Hosts making Dead selfie references *groan* XD at Host feeling awkward at at being kissed by Serbia. Host lift! Her being 'oblivious' about Portugal.

Finland: Don't get dizzy girl. Military dancers? I loved this song and performance. The one commentator was all 'Is she finished?'

Bulgaria: First time performing together?! I'm not sure if I like this song or not.

Moldova: This is funny! Had to watch it twice. Probably my favorite of the contest! The commentators called this one a drag pageant for some convoluted reason.

Host intermission: Those costumes the fans are wearing! XD

Sweden: All I can say is I like the song.

Hungary: Commentators made the Hungary/hungry jokes *groan* Bout time for some rock n roll! Crowd surfing! Where's the singers shoes? Great performance!

Israel: She sings... interesting. Definitely feels like stereotypical Eurovision with the performance.

The Netherlands: Did I accidentally tune into a Tim McGraw concert? Country doesn't fit Eurovision to me.

Ireland: Another candle vigil. More snow! I loved this love song.

Cyprus: Could she get any more sparkley? She was definitely fuego the whole time.

Italy: Can't really understand them, and not just because they aren't speaking English. Not my favorite.

My favorites have to be Serbia, UK, France, Moldova, Finland and Ireland.

It was great when that hunky guy came on to give the one host a phone.

The comedy sketch was great. It was funny seeing Chonchita Wurst referenced.

Estonia's jury announcer is scary

Austria wins the jury vote but Chicken... I mean Israel wins overall :/

11 hours ago, Draginon said:

Sorry it took a while to reply. I wanted to watch the final before replying back.

Pretty much her point is that Sweden's won 6 times while a bunch haven't won at all and would rather see everyone get a chance to win. It's not just a Sweden thing, she thinks Ireland and U.K. shouldn't win anytime soon since they've won more than you guys.

Anyway here's my thoughts on the final

Hide contents

Eurovision thoughts:

Preshow:

Hello sailors!

It's the parade of nations!

(Slovenia) Elsa??

(Norway) Looks like he's thinking 'Don't fart'

(Germany) Hello Carrot Top!

(France) Are the trench coats big enough?

(Czech Republic) NERD!!!!!

(Denmark) Why are they scratching each other's beards? Why are the commentators even more puzzled?

(Australia) Is she wearing a trash bag?

(Finland) Spine necklace!?

(Bulgaria) Lady Gaga meets Sia

(Moldova) Prom night!

(Sweden) So shiny

(Hungary) Are they redneck casual?

(Israel) Looks like a Japanese induced nightmare mixed with lava

(The Netherlands) Playa!!!

Why the commentators got to call the contest a drag pageant?

Ukraine: Commentators making bad puns on his name. In a coffin? Oh it's a piano. Woah fire. Good song

Spain: They sound tone deaf and make me want to sleep with their singing. Not a very good song or performance.

Slovenia: Love her pink hair! She got the moves like jagger. Svale Ne! Loved the song and performance.

Lithuania: Candlelight vigil. Ghosts! She can be soft and loud when singing. An okay song.

Austria: Watch out for the bikes! Is he floating above the pits of hell? Sing my brother sing! Good song.

Estonia: Beautiful castle. She's frozen to the stage! She's sorcerer Mickey! Her dress is exploding! Loved her song and performance.

Norway: Air instruments alert. Visually pleasing on TV so how did it look in person without the graphics? Where'd that violin come from? I liked this one.

Portugal: How can two people singing still sound like one is singing??? Didn't really like this song that much.

Green room intermission: Wow at Estonia's vocal exercise. Those Eurovision theme 'lyrics' XD

United Kingdom: Love that tea making video. Like that set piece. I loved that song!

Green Room intermission: Interesting interview with Ukraine. I'm surprised he needed a translator.

Serbia: Middle Eastern sound meets techno! Loved this song!

Germany: Don't really like this song that much. His voice is so-so. Reminds me of songs from the early 2000's I didn't like.

Albania: I like his outfit very much. I liked the song the more it went on.

France: I like these outfits more than the trench coats. In the words of Uncle Jesse 'Have Mercy'

Czech Republic: Kidnapped by pinatas. Here's my lie, I hate it ;) Shake dat booty!

Denmark: Liked the video beforehand. Is it snowing? Don't really like the song that much.

Australia: Why is Australia still part of EUROvision? I'm divided, I both love and hate this song. She keeps dancing like she can't dance.

Green room intermission: Hosts making Dead selfie references *groan* XD at Host feeling awkward at at being kissed by Serbia. Host lift! Her being 'oblivious' about Portugal.

Finland: Don't get dizzy girl. Military dancers? I loved this song and performance. The one commentator was all 'Is she finished?'

Bulgaria: First time performing together?! I'm not sure if I like this song or not.

Moldova: This is funny! Had to watch it twice. Probably my favorite of the contest! The commentators called this one a drag pageant for some convoluted reason.

Host intermission: Those costumes the fans are wearing! XD

Sweden: All I can say is I like the song.

Hungary: Commentators made the Hungary/hungry jokes *groan* Bout time for some rock n roll! Crowd surfing! Where's the singers shoes? Great performance!

Israel: She sings... interesting. Definitely feels like stereotypical Eurovision with the performance.

The Netherlands: Did I accidentally tune into a Tim McGraw concert? Country doesn't fit Eurovision to me.

Ireland: Another candle vigil. More snow! I loved this love song.

Cyprus: Could she get any more sparkley? She was definitely fuego the whole time.

Italy: Can't really understand them, and not just because they aren't speaking English. Not my favorite.

My favorites have to be Serbia, UK, France, Moldova, Finland and Ireland.

It was great when that hunky guy came on to give the one host a phone.

The comedy sketch was great. It was funny seeing Chonchita Wurst referenced.

Estonia's jury announcer is scary

Austria wins the jury vote but Chicken... I mean Israel wins overall :/

Hah! Well, I do get her point about everyones right to win. What I mean is that I am biased in favor of Sweden, since I live there :-)

When it comes to the songs... my favorites this year were Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Netherlands, Australia and Austria. Im not very happy with Israel winning, it was a pretty annoying song, I think.

The contest as a whole was great fun! 

46 minutes ago, Toaster Retribution said:

Hah! Well, I do get her point about everyones right to win. What I mean is that I am biased in favor of Sweden, since I live there :-)

When it comes to the songs... my favorites this year were Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Netherlands, Australia and Austria. Im not very happy with Israel winning, it was a pretty annoying song, I think.

The contest as a whole was great fun! 

Yeah, to me it doesn't matter who wins since the contest is about having fun, though I would rather everyone have at least one win under their belt. Kind of sad that over 60 years and not every country has won (makes me think of Hunger Games with the quarter quell where every district had to have a win for both boys and girls) Bias is okay since you guys do tend to make great music.

All hail Scandinavia eh? ;)

I so agree on the Israel one. The song was annoying, loud and not that good. Even worse is that despite so many countries voting for them and getting the popular vote no one really wants Eurovision in Israel (boycotts for withdrawing in Sweden, Ireland, UK and Iceland). Guess they should've thought of that before giving Israel all those 12's and 10's.

It was. Despite only having it here for three years I've only watched two (missed last year's because my mom made me come into work on that Saturday <_<) but I'll continue watching every year, even if I have to DVR it. I can also sum up the three winners as well: 2016 Ukraine won through the power of tragedy, 2017 Portugal won with the power of love, 2018 Israel won with the power of clucking/chicken dance.