[OB] Unmade

Yvainnie

Question

What do you need to capture Unmade in perfect gem? Do you need Bonsmith or just any KR who understands it? Coppermind confused me with this, from Unmade page: 

They may be captured, but it seems to require both a Bondsmith and a perfect gemstone.

But from Re-Shepir page:

Having previously been trapped by a Lightweaver She fled the tower in fear when confronted by Shallan. 

6 answers to this question

Yeah what happened to The Midnight Mother is very unclear.

I think the Lightweaver trapped the Unmade in a very loosely way, not a actual and complete capture like Melishi (and Dalinar) did. After the Midmother wasn't trapped in a perfect gemstone (at least nothing in the text seems to imply it's what happened) and was also able to influence stuffs around her "prison".
It's possible that while the Bondsmith have the ability to actual capturing spren (Unmade included) the Lightweaver simply found a way to trick/stop the M.Mother from leaving Urithuru (or a specific subset of Urithuru).

TLTR: Probably Reshepir wasn't actually captured into a gemstone but rather the Lightweaver exploited something in her nature to stop her from leaving

Why would a Radiant even be needed? Normal spren are trapped in gemstones all the time for fabrials. It should be the same mechanism, you just need a gem capable of holding the Unmade and the thing needed to draw it in. 

I think anyone with proper knowledge and a gem could do it. I doubt realistically though that many would care to try. 

1 hour ago, Calderis said:

Why would a Radiant even be needed? Normal spren are trapped in gemstones all the time for fabrials. It should be the same mechanism, you just need a gem capable of holding the Unmade and the thing needed to draw it in. 

I think anyone with proper knowledge and a gem could do it. I doubt realistically though that many would care to try. 

One of the quotes from the epigraphs from the Urithiru gemstones mentions that the plan to capture Ba-Ado-Mishram required Melishi, the only Bondsmith alive at that time. If the Radiants figured out that he could do it, you'd think that they would have tested to see if other orders could do it.

14 minutes ago, Elenion said:

One of the quotes from the epigraphs from the Urithiru gemstones mentions that the plan to capture Ba-Ado-Mishram required Melishi, the only Bondsmith alive at that time. If the Radiants figured out that he could do it, you'd think that they would have tested to see if other orders could do it.

I feel each order is similar to an Unmade. Lightweavers and Re-Shepir. Melishi was needed to capture Ba-Ado-Mishram because they both unite and lead groups of people and BAM was connected to a whole army.

17 minutes ago, Elenion said:

I think that has less to do with the capture and more to do with the fact that BAM was connected strongly to all of the Parsh. They needed Melishi's power to overcome the resistance.

Dalinar didn't seem to use any ability to capture... The Thrill who name I can never remember how to spell. He just walked to the heart of the red and held up the gem. 

Edited by Calderis

The guest on Melishi as needed to cut off BAM from the Singers and then capture her (like everyone could do) is interesting.

I tried to approch the problem from another side as the Midnight Mother doesn't appear to me as captured in a gemstone. Because we don't have any reference to that and neither an explaination for her escaping.

But I could be wrong