theuntaintedchild

Question

So, I've only read Oathbringer once and I'm still a little confused. Oathbringer spoilers follow.

Spoiler

When Kaladin and company go to the Cognitive Realm the Chapter title is Damnation. And that's where they think they are. I was under the impression that the people of Roshar called the planet Braize, Damnation. It's obvious from the description in the book that they are in Roshar's cognitive realm, and not on Braize. I know Braize is not Roshar's cognitive realm beacause it appears in the night sky in the physical world. Are they just confused when they arrive? Mistaking Roshar's cognitive realm with the descriptions they have of Braize?

4 answers to this question

OB Spoilers. 

Spoiler

It's mostly Adolin's PoV in that chapter, if I remember correctly.  And Adolin, for the first while, does indeed mistake the Cognitive Realm for Damnation.  Mostly because he's completely freaked out and confused and has never even heard of anything like the Cognitive Realm (he's not a scholar or particularly "intellectual").

And the spren. Terrible, awful spren swarmed in the ocean of beads, bearing a multitude of nightmare forms. They twisted and writhed, howling with inhuman voices. He didn’t recognize any of the varieties.

“I’m dead,” Adolin whispered. “We’re dead, and this is Damnation.”

Edited by RShara