[OB] Ro-shard Combos

Having just finished Oathbringer a short time ago, I've found myself pondering the possibilities of what is to come. And, several things jump to mind.

1) Odium is currently trapped on Roshar, the primary antagonist of a major epic-fantasy series, and just asking for a but kicking. I do not see the Rosharans letting him continue as he has, bound to inflict harm upon harm upon harm to them and others. Yes, Wheel of Time had the "re-imprison the dark lord of evil" thing going on at the end. But, a major theme of that series was how time repeats itself over and over... in a wheel. There were a lot of desolations, but they have not been portrayed in the same way as the Last Battle.

2) Honor is out there, splintered, and Dalinar seems to be implied to be the next bearer of that particular mantle(shard). I have a feeling that we'll see a reassembling by the end of the series. This is admittedly a pure hunch.

3) The line in the letter about "the heavens themselves shaking with the results of the war on Roshar" keeps playing into my mind.

4) The line in one of the letters about Rays bearing the burden of "god's own hate without the other verities that gave it context" also keeps playing over in my mind.

So... and I imagine you can probably see where I'm going with this... does anyone else think we might end up with another Harmony situation? Though, instead of preservation and Ruin, we have Honor and Odium combine to form something like... I don't know, Retribution or something? It would seem very fitting with Dalinar's warlord past.

11 hours ago, BasementDwellingRadiant said:

we have Honor and Odium combine to form something like... I don't know, Retribution or something?

Depends on which aspect is more in control.

On 4/21/2017 at 0:08 PM, The One Who Connects said:

Sure, Odium probably covers most of Wrath, but Divine Wrath is usually against those who "deserve it" in some way, at least in the various stories and myths that I remember. I'd actually put Wrath as an Honor/Odium pairing where Odium is the more dominant aspect, while Justice is the Odium/Honor pair where Honor is in charge.

As for the theory itself, I'd like it to be different than what we got in HoA. But we are still far too early to make any solid predictions.

20 hours ago, BasementDwellingRadiant said:

The line in one of the letters about Rays bearing the burden of "god's own hate without the other verities that gave it context" also keeps playing over in my mind.

Wow, that is right on the money!

Unfortunately it is also an enormous secret held very tight, so the full picture cannot be seen.  It is a cry for help riding the blood of low iron ... because it was the only genius way to get the message out!  imvho, of course . .  but I did not read this ... where is it?

The originating realm is _______________ tight!

Honour and Cultivation: The Shard of Ethical Investment Strategy.

Seriously, Honour and Cultivation are opposites (like Ruin/Preservation) by virtue of Honour being about the here-and-now, doing what's right without thinking about the future, whilst Cultivation is about Diagrams and planning for the future without caring about the means*. Honour even says somewhere that he's no good at predicting the future, but that Cultivation is much better.

I don't know where Odium fits into this particular axis- maybe he's just a convenient bad guy? He is a later arrival to Roshar, and who might not even be defeated entirely by the end of SA10. His Shard's arc could end at the finale of the Cosmere Epic, with the reunited Adonalsium will giving 'context'  to Odium's Hate, and re-absorbing it. 

*"Journey before destination" versus "Destination before Journey". That said, Cultivation seems to have spren that bond with Radiants (Lift with Wyndle), so I might be off track here...

On 1/30/2018 at 1:21 AM, BasementDwellingRadiant said:

4) The line in one of the letters about Rays bearing the burden of "god's own hate without the other verities that gave it context" also keeps playing over in my mind.

Not sure if it is a typo or perhaps you misremembered but that quote is a bit inaccurate.

He bears the weight of God’s own divine hatred, separated from the virtues that gave it context. He is what we made him to be, old friend. And that is what he, unfortunately, wished to become.

Sanderson, Brandon. Words of Radiance (Stormlight Archive, The) (p. 840). Tom Doherty Associates. Kindle Edition.

I don't feel that Honor and Cultivation are as polar opposites as Ruin/Preservation.  That combo is actually making it hard for Harmony to function at all.   It certainly doesn't mean they were incapable of working together long term, unlike Ruin and Preservation.  The two holders of the shards being romantically involved probably helped in this regard.

• Chaos locked this topic