Another newbie...

Evelyne

Hi there,

I'm new on the forum even though I came regularly reading theories and such after book releases. I'm French and discovered Brandon's work through Mistborn (Fils des Brumes in French) about 6 years ago and he instantly became my new favorite author ! I started buying and reading other works in English because many weren't available in French, and it just takes tooooo long to wait for translation and publishing for books as big as the S.A ones.

I wonder if there are many readers here who are not native English speakers... Anyway, I apologize that I will probably not be very active on the forum but I will happily read theories and details from the books since I have troubles getting and remembering all the details and clues Brandon puts in them when it's not in French.

Welcome and have an upvote from me too! I'm relatively new as well but my story is pretty similar to yours as I discovered Brandon's work through Mistborn and instantly got hooked. I'm a non-native English speaker as well but I love Brandon's style of writing and don't really warm up to the translations so I mostly read his books in English. That and I really hate waiting for translations <_<

What is your favourite book by Brandon?

Hi and thanks for the welcome ! I totally understand when you say not warming up to the translations, sometimes they have a very weird style. I bought Steelheart in French so that my husband could read it but the narrative style the translator chose gives an off feeling. Mistborn was great though, and it is still my favorite Cosmere series, probably because it was the first I read, with an epic heroin and so many good characters including the fascinating kandra ! Also I think allomancy is the best form of magic I've ever seen this far.

As for non-Cosmere works, I have a fondness for The rithmatist, I'm really looking forward to the sequel of this one !

What about you ?

Yes, the translated books have a very weird style so I'm glad that the books in English are relatively easy to read. But it is so easy to miss small details surrounding the Cosmere that I love reading all the truths and theories here on 17th Shard. It's as if a whole new world opens up before me, one I haven't noticed before.

I totally get why Mistborn is your favourite Cosmere series, for a long time it was mine as well but the moment I started reading Way of Kings the first time I totally fell for The Stormlight Archive. But still, Mistborn holds a special place in my heart as it's what got me into Brandon's work.

Wow, I think along the same lines for the non-Cosmere works! I really liked The Rithmatist and every year I hope for news on the sequel. Sadly, the State of the Sanderson 2017 announces that we will have to be patient a bit more..:(