I'm a slow reader. I really am.

But I made... conclusions.

I just got to where

Navani tests her "elevator" thing,

and reading about spanreeds got me thinking...

What if you used the same kind of gemstone, but instead of linking it to two reeds, you linked it to a sword and a stick. To be more specific, a storming Shardblade. You could pick up your stick (while standing somewhere with a decent view of a battlefield, with moving room), and fight whole armies. Without even being too close to them all.

Then again, there is the whole "invested VS invested" thing. May not work, idk.

I could see bad things happening if she figures out how to weaponize Shardblades - and I hope Brandon either explores the idea, or shoots it down with some explanation about how Shardblades interfere with fabrials or something. Because even if you can't bind the Blade's gem itself, you could create a... scabbard of sorts, except for the hilt instead of the blade, secure it to the Shardblade and then twine that with its twin which you get to move from a safe distance. 

Maybe it won't work for big battles, but I could see it being useful in smaller ones, or for taking down single targets.

This doesn't really sound practical to me yet. Remote controlling a sword is not going to be easy. Plus, there doesn't seem to be any way to move the relative origin of the blade with any control; it's not like you have mental command of the blade and can make it move closer or further away, you have to actually do the motion yourself (at least, based on everything we've seen so far). Even if it was possible, I'd question if this would be something that would be generally useful.

Imagine mounting the free hilt scabbard from my example on a mining cart (yea, I don't know why this came to mind). All you need to do is move the card along some rails you've set up in your camp, away from the battlefield, and your sword - which you've summoned and bound near the enemy lines - traverses hundreds of yards, cutting everything in its path. 

And it could get worse. You could make the thing spin. Or you could stand on top of one of those flying platforms Navani came up with, except much smaller and lighter, and go fly above the enemy lines. Summon the blade, put the hilt scabbard on it, bind the scabbard's gem to one on your glove (for example), drop the Blade on the ground, raise your platform a little higher (so the Blade is not sitting on the ground, but is on maybe waist level), and just fly around. The Blade will mimic your movements, but it will do so through the enemies.

• Chaos locked this topic