The reason the Returned need breath to live

When it comes to Lifeless only needing one breath to be created, that comes from many years of research and many developments such as the alcohol blood thing. The first Lifeless required more breath to be animated. Also an awakener has an easier time awakening stuff that is human shaped, as evidenced by Vasher making straw puppets that resemble humans and having a human-ish shaped cloak. Lifeless as the epitome of human shaped, being recently dead humans. I think the fact that a single breath can't sustain a Lifeless forever is due to the wounds that they might receive will change them from being human shaped, and thus into something that would naturally require more breath to awaken. This is also what Nightblood took so many breath's to awaken - he (it) isn't close to being human shaped at all.

I subscribe to the idea that when a Returned hits their week mark, a breath is instantly consumed. For a breath to be slowly consumed during the week would crate the possibility of having 'half-breath'. I think that the feelings that Lightsong describe at the end of his week are just warning signs that his Divine breath is getting close to being consumed, that his life is close to ending. It makes sense to me that Returned would feel this since Endowment sent them back for a purpose, and if their Divine breath was consumed, and they die, then their purpose wouldn't have been fulfilled.

Well. Half-breath might be possible.

Consider the flickering of the aura of the anti-war priests daughter, when Vasher is removing her memory of being captured.

Not enough to say anything for sure ofcourse, but enough to hold the possibility open, or have it been refuted elsewhere by brandon?

• Chaos locked this topic