[OB] Nightblood Headcannon

TheBrian

This idea is almost certainly wrong, but it is fascinating enough that I'm going to share it anyway.  Szeth could swear one of his ideals as "I will DESTROY EVIL", forming a three-way bond between him, his Highspren, and Nightblood.  Our favorite bloodthirsty sword begins to change as a result of the new bond, gaining the ability to comprehend its purpose for the first time in its existence.  Some of the directions this could go include:

1. Nightblood deciding its mission is to destroy the biggest source of evil around, a.k.a. Odium.
  2. Nightblood falling into paralysis as it realizes how hard ethics can be and is unable to discern evil.
  3. Nightblood having a mental crisis where it questions if it is evil.
  4. Nightblood defecting to the Singer cause.
  5. Nightblood deciding to allow its wielder to determine evil for it.

I know, crazy headcannon.  But . . . I want to see Nightblood evolve and wrestle with morality.  I think that might be what I'm supposed to want, in which case this could go somewhere.

• Greywatch changed the title to [OB] Nightblood Headcannon

@TheBrian I like this idea a lot, I think the most likely route for this to happen is for Szeth to swear as his crusade ideal "I will destroy evil as I cleanse the Shin of their false leaders".

The Alignment of Szeth's 4th ideal and of Nightblood's awakened command might pull Nightblood into the bond, and talk about the possibilities for strange resonances! I like the idea of the high spren helping sword Nimi figure out the ethics and morality of interpreting his programmed intent.

9 hours ago, Curious Kid Dan said:

I have nothing substantial to add, however, i hope to god 1,2 or 3 happen in some way. Great theory.

Thanks!  I don't have a community of fellow Cosmere readers in real-life, so I don't have a sounding board to let me know if I'm totally out there or in line with other fans.

9 hours ago, Belzedar said:

Szeth seems to be exceptionally broken. Maybe that’ll let him form multiple bonds. And maybe his understanding of morality and truth will help Nightblood develop a more principled, less bloodthirsty outlook on life. I can see it.

I was so focused on Nightblood that I hadn't even thought of Szeth's condition.  His spirit is even misaligned with his body, so many that can help him cram in some extra investiture.

1 hour ago, hoiditthroughthegrapevine said:

@TheBrian I like this idea a lot, I think the most likely route for this to happen is for Szeth to swear as his crusade ideal "I will destroy evil as I cleanse the Shin of their false leaders".

The Alignment of Szeth's 4th ideal and of Nightblood's awakened command might pull Nightblood into the bond, and talk about the possibilities for strange resonances! I like the idea of the high spren helping sword Nimi figure out the ethics and morality of interpreting his programmed intent.

I hadn't given the exact circumstances much thought, but it would be epic if it happened during his crusade against the Shin leaders.  I can imagine Szeth's head being a crowded place with a constant back-and-forth between his two swords (sword bromance would be a brand new genre).  No idea what type of resonance would happen.  Maybe something with Szeth's division surge?

• Chaos locked this topic